Diocese of Gaylord

As reported on thrownback.blogspot.com:

The bishop of that see has apparently “banned” the use of any language other than English in liturgy. Limited permission exists for songs/hymns in other languages. Any exceptions require written permission.

A classic example of episcopus ultra vires…this one will be amusing to track when His Excellency tries to enforce this violation of so many liturgical rights.

Hello,

This is from the Vatican II document Sacrosanctum Concilium:

1. § 1. Particular law remaining in force, the use of the Latin language is to be preserved in the Latin rites.

This is from the Code of Canon Law:

1. The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in the Latin language or in another language provided that the liturgical texts have been legitimately approved.

This is from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

1. Since no Catholic would now deny the lawfulness and efficacy of a sacred rite celebrated in Latin, the Council was also able to grant that “the use of the vernacular language may frequently be of great advantage to the people” and gave the faculty for its use.

And this is from Redemptionis Sacramentum:

1. Mass is celebrated either in Latin or in another language, provided that liturgical texts are used which have been approved according to the norm of law. Except in the case of celebrations of the Mass that are scheduled by the ecclesiastical authorities to take place in the language of the people, Priests are always and everywhere permitted to celebrate Mass in Latin.

The Bishop lacks the competence and authority to prevent a Priest from celebrating the current Pauline Mass in the Latin language.

You Americans really have a diocese called Gaylord?

Sure. :slight_smile:

Hold out your right hand and look at your palm side. The diocese of Gaylord roughly corresponds to the phalanges of the fingers. It is bordered on three sides by two of the Great Lakes. The Mackinaw Bridge would begin at the top of your longest digit.

Locals call it “God’s country.”

The bishop there isn’t as bright as some of his colleagues who have been more restrained in their response to the issue of Latin and, for that matter, the 1962 Missal.

In any case, if he has any priests who are so inclined, defiance of this unjust edict is fully in order.

I seem to find that the Diocese of Gaylord is probably the most “liberal” diocese in Michigan, from personal experience.

I was just there last weekend ( Gaylord, Michigan).

Attended Mass in the Cathedral actually. I listened attendively to the Word Proclaimed and I recieved Our Lord’s Substantial Presence.

And that about sums up all I’m going to say.

Reminds me of Bishop Lynch in Florida with his ban on Exposition of the Holy Eucharist. Of course Bishop Lynch really distinguished himself with his atrocious behaviour during Terri Schiavo’s fight for her life.

This doesn’t suprise me at all. My family has a house up north in the Gaylord Diocese. I spend quite a few weekends up there in the summer, and I’ve often walked away from Mass sighing and shaking my head. Ignoring the ‘little, common’ practices and abuses (like no kneelers, using crystal glasses for communion… things you can find all over, not just in Gaylord), it’s usually the homilies and teachings coming from the priests and the bishop that leave me flabbergasted. Everything from how it’s wrong to kneel or genuflect to the Eucharist or tabernacle when you come for Mass (since that’s a private devotion, and the Mass is about community prayer…) to how there’s no way the latin Mass will come back, “as long as good Bishop Patrick and I have anything to say about it. Vatican II changed everything and got rid of all that.” (This was said in a homily last year, as rumors of the MP started to surface.)

And I’ve encountered this in every parish I’ve been to up there. It’s so sad, really. Not only is there an entire diocese deprived of good, proper Catholic teaching, but there’s an entire generation of young people being brought up thinking this stuff is correct. ::sighs::

According to census figures, the largest minority, Hispanic, is only about two percent, so there is probably little demand for Misa en Español in Gaylord. But come mid-September, some of the parishes might be called upon to put away the crystal altarware, find the gold chalice and maybe even find the Latin Missal, the local bishop notwithstanding.

That was one thing I noticed in the Cathedral. Everyone stood after the Agnus Dei ( I did too, as the bishop has the authority to regulate that)

Everyone stood AFTER they recieved communion too. Since the bishop does NOT have the authority to regulate posture at that point, my family knelt.

The priest’s chalice was gold, but the calices used by the EMHC’s were glassware. The ‘patent’ was a glass bowl. :shrug:

We were in the process of bring our son to a nearby summer camp owned by the Archdiocese of Detroit. A really good, orthodox priest is the camp chaplin there and we know our son got good Masses there at his stay ( they start off each day at camp with Mass, plus the Angelus at noon and 6, and finish off the day in the chapel with Vespers :thumbsup: )

according to relatives who live in this diocese, not true. until the MP all bishops required priests to get permission to celebrate TLM, but there was no ban whatever on use of Latin for all or part of NO. He like most prudent bishops now require that any priest who wishes to celebrate in Latin first learn the language and rubrics, which is certainly prudent.

“The Bishop describes one of his abiding interests as a deep love for the liturgy of the Catholic Church.”

From the biography of the Bishop of the Diocese of Gaylord on the diocesian website.

:confused:

Anyplace north of Grand Rapids, west of Saginaw, and east of Muskegon is “God’s country”. Anyplace north of Houghton Lake is really “God’s country”. geology.com/cities-map/michigan.shtml

If you keep away from dem cities, den you got it made, eh? You betcha!

I have limited experience with the Gaylord diocese, but I do remember attending Mass once when we were visiting my wife’s relatives one Christmas…we were in this church that had been—butchered----there is no other term for it.

It was a traditionally-shaped church building with a long nave and a short transept at the front. The pews had been ripped up and placed lengthwise in the nave on either side of the main aisle, so the parishioners could look at each other like spectators in a football stadium. The kneelers had been removed.

The baptistry was at one end, right inside the main doors, so you literally had to step around it to get into the building; the holy water fonts had been removed, so I’m assuming they were expecting you to use the baptistry as a holy water font. The altar had been relocated to the center of the main aisle. It was really too big to fit in that space, so they had hacked up some of the pews around it to make space to walk around it.

The lectern was at the opposite far end of the nave, and behind that, shoved into what was supposed to be apse, was a stage used by the rock band. I have absolutely no idea where the tabernacle was. Maybe it was on the roof, for all I know.

It’s obvious that what had happened here was that somebody got the big wise idea of “community” and ran with it, and re-designed the interior of the church building so it would be supposedly more like those “round” churches where the altar is in the center and surrounded by a ring of pews in a circle. Which was fine and dandy, except that in this case they were literally trying to force a square peg into a round hole----this building was simply not designed to be used that way.

The end result of all this was, if you were sitting anywhere near the middle of the church (as we were), you ended up with a stiff neck and a headache from leaning out into the main aisle and cranking your head to one side to see the lector “way down there” at one end. The people sitting at the ends of the church, of course, got their headaches from having to lean out and crank their heads to one side to see what was happening at the altar.

It was the most pathetic job of architechtural desecration I’ve ever been exposed to, and it is beyond my comprehension why it was ever approved to begin with. It would be interesting to know who the “liturgical experts” and the pastor were when this abomination was dreamed up. They would have been better off to simply dynamite the existing building and replace it with with one of those postmodern horrors, instead of hacking up what was once a nice little church.

After Mass, my wife was commenting on how strange this all was, and wondering why in the world they would do something like this. I stood there and explained to her the architechtural symbolism why of churches were built in the cruciform fashion with long naves. The idea is to symbolize the Christian’s entrance into the Christian life by walking in the main doors, and then the long nave symbolizes the life of the Christian, the long journey towards heaven. Then, at the end of the nave, you have the apse with the tabernacle where the Blessed Sacrament reposes, symbolizing heaven, when the Christian finally reaches the end of the journey and is in the physical Presence of Christ.

What they had done here, I told her, was chop up the inside of the church building and try to force-fit it into one of those post-Vatican II “community” structures where the symbolism is not the journey of the Christian to Christ, but rather the “Great Me”, where parishioners look at each other (the “community”) instead of always looking ahead towards Christ down the length of the nave. She said, “So in other words, the idea is more or less that we worship ourselves instead of God,” and I sadly had to admit that she wasn’t far off the mark.

I certainly hope that that particular church wasn’t representative of the entire Gaylord diocese.

They did the same thing at the parish my son goes to.:frowning: But, the good news is they are now in the process of going back to the original :slight_smile: . There were many people that kept the old statues, pews and other things in storage (God Bless them). So they are slowly being returned to their rightful places. This re-renovation is costing a fortune and going slowly because of the cost. But at least they don’t have to purchase new stuff thanks to the faithful parish members.

Sort of like those people in Afghanistan who wrapped their TV sets in plastic sheeting and buried them beneath their houses to wait until the Taliban was overthrown. :stuck_out_tongue:

We American Catholics have to wait out our own “Spirit of Vatican II” Taliban before we can return to buildings, music, and liturgies that are actually Catholic, instead of the mess we’ve been forced into at gunpoint since 1965.

But, every day, more of them die and more of us are born…:slight_smile:

Even more than Detroit or Saginaw??? :confused:

And now, St. Augustine, Florida has joined the disobedient ranks. The bishop there has announced that 50 must be registered in a parish and request this, and that otherwise a pastor may not do it.

I can’t speak for jstreets, but with Bp. Carlson in Saginaw, things are cleaning up. Back in Bishop Untener’s day, Saginaw would have won that title hands-down.

I wouldn’t call Detroit a liberal diocese, but rather that Cardinal Maida takes more of a ‘let people do what they want’ type of leadership.

This works for both good and ill. It gives us several parishes where the Latin (NO) Mass is regularly celebrated, including ad orientem ( at Grotto). We have two of our assistant Bishops who celebrate the Extraordinary Form at our indult parish.

But it also allows abuses to florish in other places.

On the plus side, Cardinal Maida has been particularly strong in enforcing *Redemptionis Sacramentum *and has continued Cardinal Szoka’s policy that kneelers are to be installed whenever a Church renovation is done, so we have very few parishes that do not have kneelers ( left overs from the Cardinal Dearden era)

In addition, the Seminary is Rock Solid :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.