Diocese of Trenton refuses to break the rules

BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic doctrine.

more

Amazingly the reporting isn’t as bad as it could be, they still fail to point out that the girl could validly just take the wine…

Kind of surprises me that now the Church is getting bad press for refusing to break its own rules… life never ceases to astonish me.

Forgive me if there is another thread on this.

-D

Does she really think that Cardinal Ratzinger is going to say, “You know what, you’re right. Even though we just reaffirmed the necessity of wheat in Redemptionis Sacramentum, we were totally off base. Valid communion can take place with anything. I suggest your daughter receive a communion slushey.” It seems the diocese made her aware of the norms already in place for those with this disease. Use an approved low-gluten host, receive the Precious Blood, or abstain. Unless both of them are also allergic to wine, it looks like this mother is just out to make some waves.

[quote=Andreas Hofer]Does she really think that Cardinal Ratzinger is going to say, “You know what, you’re right. Even though we just reaffirmed the necessity of wheat in Redemptionis Sacramentum, we were totally off base. Valid communion can take place with anything. I suggest your daughter receive a communion slushey.” It seems the diocese made her aware of the norms already in place for those with this disease. Use an approved low-gluten host, receive the Precious Blood, or abstain. Unless both of them are also allergic to wine, it looks like this mother is just out to make some waves.
[/quote]

Or money! I can see a law suit in the distance.

The Church has already spoken on this matter. Case closed!

I just hope my Bishop does something to the priest who blantantly disobeyed Church teaching by giving this girl an invalid Communion. How typical of the dissedent priests in our diocese who feel that they can interpret/ignore the magisterial Church.

Micki

Yes, this topic was recently discussed.
You’ll find some other good responses and links here. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=11477

[quote=Micki]The Church has already spoken on this matter. Case closed!

I just hope my Bishop does something to the priest who blantantly disobeyed Church teaching by giving this girl an invalid Communion. How typical of the dissedent priests in our diocese who feel that they can interpret/ignore the magisterial Church.

Micki
[/quote]

Notice that this dissendent priest went out of his way to commit this grave abuse. He was not the child’s pastor, but heard about the case and contacted the mother, volunteering to use improper matter.

Glad to see that bishop of Trenton diocese won’t gave on this, and I agree, this disobedient priest should be called on the carpet for breaking Church law.

"The church’s pastor, the Rev. Stanley P. Lukaszewski, told her that a gluten-free substitute was unacceptable.
But a priest at a nearby parish contacted Pelly-Waldman after learning about the dilemma, volunteering to administer the sacrament using a gluten-free host."

I feel bad for the girl…i have a friend with a disease like that…it’s awful, she can’t have anything with wheat in it. I’m new to catholicism so maybe it’s just me, but The Lord isn’t present in wheat. It’s not like you can sit in adoration of a peice of wheat in a feild. I don’t see why gluten-free wafers aren’t valid, please explain.

percise rules exist to that the mass is universal. Without such rules you would end up with things like oatmeal cookie masses.

The bread must be made of wheat.

From the other thread there is this link

usccb.org/liturgy/innews/1103.htm

-D

From what I can see the parents were told that the child could have 3 options.
The Diocese of Trenton has told Waldman’s mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten host, drink wine at communion or abstain entirely, but that any host without gluten does not qualify as Holy Communion.

1. Low Gluten Host
  2. Receive the Precious Blood
  3. Abstain entirely

Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying even a small amount of gluten could harm her child.

I can understand number 1 not being an option if it is a matter of life and death.No one wishes that.

Number 2 did not receive the parents approval.
This I cannot understand. It shows the misunderstanding that is out there that to receive Communion you have to have a Host. The theology of the Precious Blood and the fact that full communion is achieved by partaking of either of the sacred species needs to be explained fully if they do not understand.

If they do understand and still refuse the Precious Blood well I would view this as a serious misjudgement. They seem to be going against the options for the sake of going for what they consider is the childs right to have a Host. The child is different she knows she is different. The parents should help her to embrace this diffrence by allowing her receive the Presious Blood. Can anyone tell me why the Precious Blood is unacceptable? Are caeliacs affected by this also?:rolleyes: I do not like to see refusal of advice simply because you think you have a right.

The child’s mother is reported to have said:
"I struggled with telling her that the sacrament did not happen," said Pelly-Waldman. "She lives in a world of rules. She says `Mommy, do we want to break a rule? Are we breaking a rule?’"

Now, the mother is seeking papal intervention. She has written to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, challenging the church’s policy.

"This is a church rule, not God’s will, and it can easily be adjusted to meet the needs of the people, while staying true to the traditions of our faith," Pelly-Waldman said in the letter.

For her part, Pelly-Waldman - who attends Mass every Sunday with her four children - said she is not out to bash the church, just to change the policy that affects her daughter.

Fergal
Naas
Ireland

Jesus is God.

Jesus established One hierarchical Church.

Jesus passed authority on to that Church. “Whatsoever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; whatsoever you hold bound, will be held bound.”

Therefore: Church law is God’s Law.

The Church has indicated where exceptions may be made. Ordinarily, persons do not receive solely from the chalice. But those with celiac’s disease are permitted to do so.

If a member of the Church rejects what the Church lays down, then it is that individual, not the Church, who is in error.

Jesus consecrated bread and wine at the Last Supper. The church does not consider itself free to use any other matter for consecration.

The host must be made of wheat-flour and water.
It is my understanding that other matter is invalid.
Invalid means it’s not just “unlawful;” it just won’t “work.”

If the matter is invalid, then no consecration takes place. If the Pope himself were to give her a “dispensation,” for invalid matter, she would then be receiving nothing more than a wafer of rice, not the body and blood of Christ. Is this what the mother wants?

JimG

There have been other threads which discussed whether it is appropriate for adults to consume alcohol. The discussion got pretty hot.

I wonder if the girl’s mother rejected the option of receiving the Precious Blood because she didn’t want an 8-year-old to consume even a sip of wine.

I’ve a dear friend with celiac, while ignoring the restrictions (eating wheat in large amounts for a long periond of time) can cause severe outcomes, a fragment of a low gluten approved host for first communion seems logical. After that, taking only the precious blood is a viable option.

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, inspected it for the proper amount of gluten, and being satisfied that sufficient gluten existed for confection, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Matthew 26

Jesus was the gluten of life.

Maybe the Bishop of Trenton should simply reserve rice-based wafers for pro-Choice politicians.

**I saw an interview of this mother and child on TV yesterday, and the host was absolutely convinced that the Church was wrong, wrong, wrong…Sort of made fun of the Church, and no mention was made of the fact tat the family was given valid options, or that the entire Body, Blood, Sould and Divinity of Christ is present in both the bread and wine. **

This interview and the accompanying comments by the host was very superficial, with no attempt made to find out the facts…Very frustrating to watch.

There’s got to be something more to this. IF she and her daughter can receive the blood…why is she making a big deal out of it?

And now, according to the article, she can’t follow her religion because she can’t receive communion. SHe can receive the blood and she can receive spiritual communion. The only way she can’t receive the blood is if her parish doesn’t administer it.

[quote=Paul W]There have been other threads which discussed whether it is appropriate for adults to consume alcohol. The discussion got pretty hot.

I wonder if the girl’s mother rejected the option of receiving the Precious Blood because she didn’t want an 8-year-old to consume even a sip of wine.
[/quote]

If that’s the case, then she’s letting minor alcohol content get in the way of her child receiving Christ fully.

Which is more important? Receiving Christ or worrying about a little alcohol content?

CBS news carried the story this evening. What a farse. They never even gave the Church a chance to respond, and misrepresented the Church’s position on this issue.

Here is a thread that was already started in the sacraments forum on Celiac forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=11430 and solutions for sufferers to recieve communion validly. This is a very sad case indeed where the family is ignorant on Church teaching and choses to remain that way.:frowning:

[quote=redkim]There’s got to be something more to this. IF she and her daughter can receive the blood…why is she making a big deal out of it?

And now, according to the article, she can’t follow her religion because she can’t receive communion. SHe can receive the blood and she can receive spiritual communion. The only way she can’t receive the blood is if her parish doesn’t administer it.
[/quote]

“Hammer hitting nail on the head!!!”

There is something more to this. It is an orchestrated plan to lead more into heresy.

Is there any more indication needed on the fact that America has apostasized in regards to the beleif in the Eucharst!?

Do we really need to consider wasting our time on keeping the indult for communion in the hand? The lack of kneeling? Istitutionalized irreverence is leading souls to hell. May the Shepards awake.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.