Directive to faithful to maintain attachment to the Church sui iuris of baptism

We are called to support our particular Church sui iuris.

“56. In towns, the faithful of the various Churches sui iuris often frequent a Catholic Church different from their own, because it is nearest to them or one in which they feel most at ease. Such people are asked to maintain their attachment to their original community, i.e., the one in which they were baptized. At the same time, Christians should see themselves as members of the Catholic Church in the Middle East and not simply as members of a particular Church.”

Instrumentum laboris
The Catholic Church in the Middle East: Communion and Witness

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2010/june/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20100606_instr-laboris_en.html
vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20100606_instrumentum-mo_en.pdf

If you mean we Catholics in the Middle East, clearly that is true.

If you are referring to we Catholics throughout the world, that seems like a reasonable claim, but your quote does not directly support it.

The faithful in the Middle East apparently are not showing sufficient witness.

I was thinking it was generally applicable to any place any Church sui iuris, but you are correct in that it does not directly say that. However these canons do support a general applicability:

CCEO Canon 12
§1. The Christian faithful are bound by an obligation in their own patterns of activity always to maintain communion with the Church.
§2. They are to fulfill with great diligence the duties which they owe to the universal Church and to their own Church sui iuris.
CCEO Canon 17
The Christian faithful have the right to worship God according to the prescriptions of their own Church sui iuris, and to follow their own form of spiritual life consonant with the teaching of the Church.
CCEO Canon 403 §1

1. With due regard for the right and obligation to preserve everywhere their own rite, lay persons have the right to participate actively in the liturgical celebrations of any Church sui iuris whatsoever, according to the norms of the liturgical books.

CCEO Canon 881 §1
The Christian faithful are bound by the obligation to participate on Sundays and feast days in the Divine Liturgy, or according to the prescriptions or legitimate customs of their own Church sui iuris, in the celebration of the divine praises.
CIC 1247
On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass. Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

CCEO Canon 916 §1
Through both domicile and quasi-domicile each person acquires his or her local hierarch and pastor of the Church sui iuris in which he or she is enrolled, unless other provision is made by common law.
CIC 107 §1
Through both domicile and quasi-domicile, each person acquires his or her pastor and ordinary. (ordinary = bishop)

+JMJ+

In case people reading this thread don’t know much about the various Churches in our great Catholic Church, nor what sui iurus means, allow me to provide this quick explanation:

There are many Churches in the Catholic Church; the Roman Church is the one most people associate with the Catholic Church, because they hear or say “Roman Catholic” all the time. But there are around two dozen others, including the Maronite Church, the Chaldean Church, the Syriac Church, the Coptic Church, etc.

In the Middle East, there is a Catholic presence, but it is not always easy for a Maronite Catholic to find the presence [that is, an actual church building] of the Maronite Church in their area, or a Syriac Catholic to find the presence [an actual church building] of the Syriac Church in their area. So sometimes they need to take advantage of the beautiful universality of our Catholic Church and attend the Divine Liturgy in a church belong to another branch of the one Catholic Church. This means sometimes a Maronite Catholic attends a Roman Catholic Mass, or a Syriac Catholic attends a Maronite Catholic Qurbono.

This is not against the law. They’re Catholics, so they can go to any Catholic liturgy and participate to their fullest ability. But they should not forget the “sui iurus” Church to which they belong!

Thanks for anticipating and answering. Awesome job (as usual).

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure people didn’t interpret this thread as “I need to support the parish I was baptized in? But that’s 600 miles away!”

:smiley: :o Yeah, uh, well, that is exactly what I was thinking as I started reading the thread!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.