Dirty Joke

Is making a small, dirty joke a mortal or venial sin, in the context of an otherwise innocent conversation?

Three conditions are necessary for mortal sin to exist:

Grave Matter: The act itself is intrinsically evil and immoral. ...
Full Knowledge: The person must know that what they're doing or planning to do is evil and immoral. ...
Deliberate Consent: The person must freely choose to commit the act or plan to do it.

Mortal and Venial Sins in the Catholic Church:
dummies.com/religion/christianity/catholicism/mortal-and-venial-sins-in-the-catholic-church/

Is using the F bomb a mortal sin when not directed at somebody? I don’t think so.

It is easy to make excuses for one’s self; it is good to remember that the ears of others are affected by vulgar language.

This isn’t something anyone but you can make a judgement on if it’s a personal question. I’m sitting here thinking:

What does this person think constitutes a dirty joke? Is he scrupulous?
Who is this joke being told to? Are they vulnerable or impressionable?
What does “innocent conversation” mean to this poster(person)?

If I take the question at face value, then yes it’s most likely a sin; most likely venial. I would really have to think up a pretty nasty scenario where telling a dirty joke would rise to the level of mortal sin.

The Catechism says ALL Bad words are grave.

Regarding impure jokes.

A guy went to Padre Pio for confession once, saying he used to tell terrible lies to make people laugh and asked was it a sin.

Padre Pio answered, “That’s okay, you’ll be laughing all the way to hell.”

Impurity:

Jesus told St Faustina, “Do you think that every sin against purity is just a venial sin?”

Our Lady of Fatima told Blessed Jacinta, “More Souls go to hell for impurity than for any other sin.”

St John Bosco was told by God, “97% of souls who are in hell, are there for sins of impurity.”

Impurity:
Can be a sin by: word, action, thought, or omission, or scandal.

Telling an impure joke: If someone listening was tempted to impure deliberate thoughts because of that joke, then God holds their mortal sin on your soul too, because you were the source of temptation for them with your words.
“Woe to the one if any of My Little Ones should fall because of you.”

Did the joke glorify and promote fornication, Sodomy, or objectifiying women? Did it promote and advertise mortal sin? Because that is the sin of scandal.

Not one canonised Saint told impure jokes.
Jesus and Mary have often appeared to saints, and the saints say they have a sense of humour, but they never say impure jokes.

W.W.J.D.

What Would Jesus Do?

This sounds like Padre Pio was making a little joke? I mean, you say the man in confession used to do these things. And since he was in confession, I’ll assume he received absolution. A little clarity may be in order here, at least for me.

But what defines a bad word?

Then you should have no problem backing that up with the proper citation, yes?

Otherwise, please don’t state “facts” that aren’t true.

Really? I’d love to see that. I’d also like to know what constitutes a"bad" word. Does it change each year? Limited to the fcc list or is fiddlesticks or crud, off limits too?:rolleyes:

Pride, sloth, anger, envy etc???

I wonder if “making stuff up” on a religious forum to seem more pious is “grave matter”.

I should sooo ask that on the “It’s a sin!” thread in the Clubhouse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.