disability

is it wrong to not ask God to be healed of a disability. i always thought that i learned a lot from it and that i can use to do God’s work regardless.

but people say that i don’t have enough faith if i’m not healed since Jesus healed everyone who asked him to. and also, the works of God displayed in the blind man was the healing, not that fact that the man was blind and could do God’s work in any other way. i’m a bit confused.

also, why did God not let Aaron’s sons who had a disability become levited? i feel like i’m not good enough to serve him sometimes. but then there was Moses with his speech impairment and God said not to worry and that he would help.

any thoughts?

I have a disability that causes almost constant pain, and I was tempted to ask for a miraculous cure that would be a sign of God’s greatness, but I realised that it was entirely possible that my pain was more useful if offered to the intentions of my blessed Mother, and I gave up, leaving it entirely to the will of God. Much better, easier, no need to worry about self aggrandizement, humility, whether He wanted me to pray for a cure etc. Surrender entirely to the will of Jesus and you can’t go wrong.

God could, if He wished, heal your disability in the blink of an eye, just as Christ healed the blind man, gave the deaf man his hearing, the 10 lepers were cured as they went to the priests etc.

However my experience is that He doesn’t usually heal people of their disabilities. To be quite frank, I haven’t heard of a single instance of a person healed of a disability. I’ve heard of a few accounts of people healed miraculously of cancer, but so far I haven’t heard of anybody being healed of a disability. No doubt it happens, but I haven’t heard of any cases.

Yet I’m well aware God’s there. I’ve had far too many spiritual experiences for that. So much so, that I don’t even like Him sometimes, to the point of bordering on disillusionment. And part of the reason is that I’m so much aware of His reality, that His inability or refusal to act more openly is quite irritating. As my old pastor once said to me, “He doesn’t seem to help His own people much.”

St. Paul asked three times for healing for some anonymous “thorn in the flesh”, but it was refused. I think it was just after that he got the reply, “My strength is perfected in your weakness”.

I presume by that God can make it clear that if supernatural or spiritual things are happening, it is not by virtue of a person’s strengths, but in spite of their weaknesses, and that God is the one doing it.

Then there’s the question of suffering, in which the corporate suffering of the members of Christ’s Church help to fill up His own suffering, as St. Paul explained.

So perhaps there are two things to consider here -

1. Your suffering due to your disability may be helping to fill up Christ’s suffering.
  2. God may work through you in some big way, despite your weaknesses. If He does, it will be clear that He is the one doing the work, because it will be obvious you couldn’t do it in your own strength.

Then again, He might heal you, but you’d be very much in the minority if He does.

Finally as a disabled person, how people treat you is how they’d treat Christ. God then knows their hearts.

Hello Angel.

I too, am disabled and have been for years. I was given this Cross shortly after my reception into the Church and saw at that time that disability WAS my way of serving God - I simply make a Morning Offering each day of my sorrows and sufferings for the poor souls in Purgatory. It is in uniting our sufferings with Christ’s on the Cross that they become useful and I’m also Consecrated to Jesus thru Mary, so my Offering each day is done thru her, and with her so my actual prayers and sufferings get magnified thru her Immaculate Heart and do more than mine alone ever actually could. Placed into the hands of the Sorrowful Mother like in the Pieta that you’ve seen, my Christ-like acceptance of my disability will do wonders not only for me, but also for the souls in Purgatory. I know this with all my heart and when I do finally get to Heaven I will see what my Offering has accomplished with her, in her, by her and thru her.

You don’t need the Montfortian Formula for Consecration to simply make a Morning Offering of you sorrows and sufferings over you disability. You certainly are going to suffer and sorrow each and every day if you are disabled. My theory is don’t let that pain go to waste! it is very useful in God’s hands, so don’t ever again feel useless. You aren’t. Every person on the face of the planet has meaning and value to God.

As for the “faith” that you lack that is supposedly supposed to heal you - BUNKO! Protestant BS! You said that supposedly EVERYONE who asked Jesus for healing was healed. NOT SO!!! Whoever told you you need to have faith to get over your disability and be healed to prove you have faith is full of soup and tell them I said so! Read your Bible.

Glenda

Do not forget that Jesus is much more concerned with our spiritual wellbeing and our eternal souls than our temporary physical state. Also do not forget that the healings that were performed in the Bible were used as physical evidence that he was who he claimed he was. While you are asking for physical healing in your prayers, he may be answering your prayers with something much more important, which is a closer relationship with him.

If he does heal you, thank him and praise him. If he does not physically heal you, thank him and praise him. Ultimately being united with him both in joys and sufferings is all that matters.

that’s just it though, i don’t feel like i suffer every day. i’ve been blind from birth so i’m pretty used to it by now. yes there are frustrating moments but it certainly isn’t every day. i can pretty much do everything that most others can. and the disability itself really isn’t that bad, like i’ve said, i’ve adapted to it and i know God has used it to do good things for me. the most frustrating thing is dealing with other people about it because there are all kinds of misconceptions sometimes.

=angell1;11846876]that’s just it though, i don’t feel like i suffer every day. i’ve been blind from birth so i’m pretty used to it by now. yes there are frustrating moments but it certainly isn’t every day. i can pretty much do everything that most others can. and the disability itself really isn’t that bad, like i’ve said, i’ve adapted to it and i know God has used it to do good things for me. the most frustrating thing is dealing with other people about it because there are all kinds of misconceptions sometimes.

Back to the OPQ

Certainly you may ask God, but in doing so please understand that God can and does reply in at least three different ways:

[1] Yes
[2] No
[3] Not now

So don;t give up.

Its a GREAT idea to end all prayer request with 'Not MY will; BUT thy Will be done." :thumbsup:::Amen:

One of the primary things Jesus said the Holy Spirit would do for us was guide us into all truth.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
—John 16:13,14

Even though the mandate of the Holy Spirit is to guide us into all truth, revelation knowledge is not automatic by merit of the baptism of the Holy Spirit alone. If this were so, wouldn’t all of us Charismatic and Pentecostal ministers be saying the same things about doctrine and truth? But we are not. In fact, most preachers can barely agree beyond the foundational truth of Jesus as our Savior. One preacher says, “It’s not God’s will to heal everyone,” and another says, “Yes it is.” Still another will say, “You cannot speak in tongues anytime you want to,” and another will say, “Yes you can!”

Yet, in all of this disagreement and confusion, there must be a way you can release the Holy Spirit on the inside of you as your Teacher, on purpose, just because you want to, as often as you want to. There is, and it is just as available to you as the air you breathe!

God wants you to know how to release the Holy Spirit in your life, to walk in truth, and to know His love. He will use everything He has at His disposal to get this over to you. So there must be a way to release the power of the Holy Spirit on the inside of you that is as deliberate and on purpose as anything else He has ever done—and there is!

You can unlock divine mysteries and discover God’s personal plan for your life that was established before the foundations of the earth. You have the right to slip into the Presence of the Holy of Holies and take a bath in revelation knowledge. And you have the Spirit of God inside of you to help you overcome every hindrance and obstacle in your way.

You cannot help but be transformed, changed, and set down on that Rock, that place where the heart of the Father is made reality, where Jesus’ truth is made fact, that place in which all God’s promises are Yes and Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.