Disabled man gets birthday scooter from coffee buddy

CBC:

Disabled man gets birthday scooter from coffee buddy

Fergus Brown of Marystown got a surprise 54th birthday gift from a business owner he chats with over coffee — a new mobility scooter. Brown, who was born with spina bifida, headed to his favourite coffee shop as usual on the morning of his birthday. When he arrived, the man, who wants to remain anonymous, was waiting for him.

“He gave me a cupcake with a candle in it,” said Brown. "Then he gave me the key. It didn’t click in what it was, not until they shoved her around the counter. That’s when I nearly fell off the seat over there."
Brown’s benefactor said he admired Brown’s determination and his work ethic. He also said he knew that Brown was struggling to raise money for a new scooter.

Brown is well-known in Marystown for his broad smile and his work  selling raffle tickets for charities at the town's two shopping malls.  

However, Brown’s sister, Ellen Barron, said his early years were challenging and uncertain.
“He had 27 or 30 surgeries and he’s after mastering them all,” said Barron. “He wasn’t supposed to live this long. He was supposed to be gone when he was 15.”
“But here he is, 54, today.”

:thumbsup:

Cool! I love to hear about things like that. :thumbsup::slight_smile:

Very nice. Unfortunately there are many acts of kindness like this that are unreported.

Awww that is a sweet story, lovely to read! Not only is it great to read that this man has lived such a long life when they expected he would only live to his mid-teens, but also to read of the generosity of his coffee pal…

See… amongst those who bother with things like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in schools, there are still people out there who see life for the more important matters :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.