Disappointed tonight

Nix.

First, Stations of the Cross are not “required to be erected” inside Latin Rite churches. There may be a requirement that stations exist somewhere in the complex, but definitely not in the church proper.

Most (all?) Eastern Catholic churches do not have holy water fonts for blessing upon entry.

Perhaps you should send a letter to your Bishop or diocese (CCing the latter from the post above) and let your Bishop know. I’m sure the Bishop will then contact your Pastor or all the Pastors in your diocese.

God Bless.

I am avidly against the removal of Holy Water from fonts during Lent. Having said that however, we have to be careful about waving that CDW letter around like some kind of trump card. Even though I agree the arguments it makes are airtight, it’s still a private letter with not enough authority to convince someone and may just cause them to dig their heels in more.

The best bet is to appeal to the instruction that fonts are emptied in the last days of Lent. Granted, you may get a “please don’t eat the daisies” rebuttal, but it’s firmer ground.

My parish does the same thing. We also don’t have kneelers in the ‘pascal hall’. I’ve been told that the holy water font remains full in the chapel; along with the kneelers. I’ve given up sarcasm for Lent, so I just offer up my comments. :shrug:

I visited a nearby parish today, and not only were the Holy Water fonts empty, the closing processional out was purposely silent. I thought Sundays were to be celebrated as feasts, even during Lent?

Sigh. Liturgists. Some are quite good, and some think they can “add innovations” to the liturgy. I’ve always felt that we cannot improve on what the Church herself provides to us in the liturgy. :whistle:
Maybe this is something we should all bear as our own peculiar little crosses for Lent. :gopray:
That’s all we can do…
That, and pray for our parishes to faithfully follow the rubrics and pious practices of the church.
peace

PS: I bless myself with holy water before I leave the house. :wink:

Considering the quality of the so-called music selections in many Catholic parishes these days, the latter situation could actually be a blessing. :smiley:

:thumbsup:

No music > Bad music

Not really, there’s no Gloria or Alleluia even on Sunday and the colour is still purple. There is no requirement for a recessional, ever, so doing without during Lent is just a change from the Parish’s norm.

At the abbey it’s normal for monks to process into and from the conventual chapel (it sometimes seems monks are processing everywhere they go…). At non-penitential times of the year, they are accompanied by the pipe organ. Of course in Advent or Lent, the organ is silent except on Gaudete and Laetare Sundays.

Of course this is a monastic norm, not a parish one.

Have you read “Death of a Liturgist” by Lorraine V. Murray? It’s a pretty light “beach read” but it’s got humor and is a great “vent”! :wink:

I am pretty sure that disobeying a direct “is not permitted” instruction from the CDW IS an abuse. :shrug:

That being said, I showed this letter from the CDW to my pastor and didn’t even get a shrug let alone Holy Water back in the fonts. Luckily, I have a stash at home (which I have been tempted at times to use to put water back in the font at Church :D)

Last year, his first Lent in our parish, we had the battle of the Holy Water stoups for a while. He’d empty them, the sacristan would refill them, he’d empty them again, she’d filled them up again. :rotfl:

Neither one was talking to the other about this so she never realized that HE was emptying them and he didn’t know who was refilling them. This year they took the bowls away so nobody would be tempted to refill them.

No, but it sounds fun. She’s a syndicated columnist that is a regular column in our Diocesan paper…she writes well. I’ll check it out! Thanks! :curtsey:

That’s a great story. One year, our pastor put dry leaves in the bowl (he can’t take it away, it’s part of the font). But this year, it’s just empty. Perhaps he is tempting me to put some of my Holy Water in. :smiley:

Our priest removes the Blood of Christ at communion and only lets people receive under one kind, The Body of Christ during lent. He is the only one in the diocese that does that.

Is that normal?

It’s his prerogative. There is no obligation to offer Communion under both species and many parishes rarely or never do.

I am pretty sure that disobeying a direct “is not permitted” instruction from the CDW IS an abuse.

Therein is the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread. I am 100% on your side about this issue, but the fact is that the CDW letter is not a direct instruction, it’s a private letter. Its argumentation is perfectly sound, but it doesn’t have adequate authority to bind every liturgist in the Church. By all means show it to them because the arguments in it are unassailable and may change some minds, but don’t be surprised if if someone digs their heels in and claims it doesn’t have authority, because it would be a case of the stopped clock that happens to be right.

All the letter asserts is that it is already praeter legem. That means there is existing liturgical legislation which prescribes against this practice. I am still waiting for documentation but I am now 100% certain that there is a Church document somewhere which has the force of liturgical law and requires that all Catholic church buildings maintain fonts filled with holy water. Have you ever seen a church that did not have a stoup somewhere near the door? The letter is proof but it is wholly unnecessary and it is not the legislative document itself, it is commentary on that which is authoritative. However, I will remind you that because the letter is authentic, and bears a Protocol Number, and was issued by the Dicastery of the Holy See with competence over liturgical matters, it is authoritative in and of itself.

Sure, but you won’t win any arguments by waving it in the pastor’s face which is my main point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.