Disappointment with secular world

Ok, here is another one of my vents. Ever since I was a kid, I loved to dance. I never had the desire to go to concerts or keep track of which band played which song. I remember being younger and the conversation would come up about who sings what. I would say ‘Oh, I never heard of that band’ and people would look at me with a puzzled look saying ‘Every time their songs are playing at a bar, you are nagging us to dance’. Well, in my mind, in was a catchy tune that was fun to dance to. I honestly couldn’t care less who sang in.

Also, I was a teenager when music videos started to explode. I NEVER saw the point in sitting in front of a TV to watch a music video. When I did watch with friends, we were always dancing at the same time. Unless I was in a place where I could get up and dance, I had no use for music ie no radio, walkmans (as they called it in my day) nor music videos.

Well, as I drive in my car, I listen to the radio. And there are songs that I like that come up often. So I decided to get with the times and look the songs up on youtube so I could listen to them ‘on demand’. And I am DISGUSTED. There is so much trashy things in those videos it now makes me feel guilty for liking the beat of the song. If I was to really think about it, it should not be a big surprise considering the lyrics of the song. But I never really pay attention to that half as much as I pay attention to the melody.

It just saddens me to think that someone who is talented enough to make a nice melody would have to resort to using sex to promote their song.

So that begs the question, ‘is there such a thing as a sinful melody?’ Or is it simply society that has turned good into bad?. For example, I have read that it is good for a baby to be exposed to classical music when their mom is pregnant. However, Bethoven tends to stress them out. So I am just curious.

Angie

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the melody. It’s about the words. You could put good words with that melody, or you could put bad ones. I also get frustrated when a really great song turns out to be really crude. There are some really great singers, musicians, and producers that created something good and then they had to go and ruin it by making it really raunchy!

You like a good beat and clean lyrics? That problem is so easy to solve…

OLDIES!!!

If you want to be a rockstar in the music entertainment industry, then you need to be the most wiling to sell yourself out to whatever it takes to be popular, and yet have the producers play their cards craftily enough so as not to be too offensive. The goal is to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Ditto for acting and ditto for comedy. It’s survival of the least fit.

There’s plenty of room to be a talented musician and send a positive message and have a comfortable career, but you need to be in it for the passion and not for the earthly glamor, otherwise you’ve already lost.

I rarely watch music videos. The problem for me is not the sexuality or wardrobe or posturing or choreography per se, but the fact that the images get mentally imprinted and associated with the song. Afterward, whenever I hear the song, the images automatically come to mind. It often ruins the song for me. For this reason, I particularly avoid watching videos for songs I like.

I didn’t know that, but I can see how Beethoven symphonies might be too stressful. I imagine his piano sonatas would work better… or better still Mozart piano sonatas.

Hey…some musicians make sexy videos, that’s true.
But it’s not just artists in the “secular” world who do this.
There are a lot of artists who are not religious who do not make raunchy videos…and there are a lot of churchgoing people who *do. *
To believe that they are made by only non-believers (aka “secular”) would be very, very incorrect and an over-generalization.
Some of the biggest music producers, directors, videographers, and stylists in the music video world are people who believe in a God and follow a religion (which would mean they are not secular).

Not sure what you saw on the videos or which artists you were watching…but many of these artists may just feel very comfortable and confident with their bodies and they are often dancers and actresses as well so they like to express themselves physically and in “roles” for their videos.

Just saying…that a lot of these people who make and star in these videos that disgust you may not have the same definition of “trashy” as you do…but the truth is, some or many of them are indeed believers of God – and are not secular.

There are so many uplifting secular popular songs.

Don’t give up. Look around and listen to different artists. I personally like a lot of the boy band music (e.g. One Direction). It’s sweet.

Try listening to Scotty McCreery. I have never heard anything from him that is disgusting. He’s a great Christian man, and sings uplifting lyrics.

Be careful with Oldies. I agree that a lot of them are very decent, but there are some that aren’t. That’s true of almost all singers and bands–they sometimes make a mistake and select a piece that isn’t worth listening to.

Plato had some interesting ideas about music–harmony, rhythm, modes–and their effects on us, even apart from the lyrics.

And therefore, I said, Glaucon, musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inward places of the soul, on which they mightily fasten, imparting grace, and making the soul of him who is rightly educated graceful, or of him who is ill-educated ungraceful

I absolutely loved the rock group Live. But their profanity-laced sanctimony cut their popularity with me, and possibly many others, short. I find their type of juvenile lyric-writing boring, and disconcerting from their wonderful music. Without the foul language, I probably would still be listening to their songs regularly. The curses were absolutely gratuitous and sickening. :dts: Rob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.