Discalced Carmelites and the Extraordinary Form

I have been pondering a vocation to the priesthood quite a while now, I have approached priests about my possible calling including the FSSP. A priestly friend recommended I pray a novena to the Holy Ghost to help enlighten me. This in conjunction with much reading has made me take another look at the religious state I was rather dismissive off before. And particularly the Carmelites (I am enrolled in the Brown Scapular so already have an association). The writings of Saint Teresa so far have been a great influence.

However I also have a very strong attachment to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass and I understand of course that the Carmelites do not use the 1962 Missal over all.

Really I'm just after some advice. What is a man to do?

If you go with FSSP nothing prevents you from being immersed in the carmelite spirituality. Could you become a secular carmelite? Something worth looking into.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:2, topic:244321"]
If you go with FSSP nothing prevents you from being immersed in the carmelite spirituality.

[/quote]

True. And I have no intention of abandoning exploring my vocation with the FSSP. I'm just window-shopping a little :P.

Could you become a secular carmelite? Something worth looking into.

Indeed I will look into it.

Check out the Wyoming Carmelites:

"The Monks of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel were founded by Bishop David L. Ricken as a Public Association of the Christian Faithful in the Diocese of Cheyenne on October 15, 2003. Bishop Ricken established the monastery to live the fullness of the Carmelite tradition and way of life as is proper to monks. The particular charism of the Carmelite Monks of Wyoming rests upon four pillars of equal importance: Filial Devotion to the Blessed Mother, the Primitive Carmelite Rule, **the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass according to the Carmelite Rite*, and lastly the Discalced Carmelite spirituality and way of life as inspired by Ss. John of the Cross and Teresa of Jesus. * "

www.carmelitemonks.org

God bless.

I should have mentioned in my OP. I am aware of the Wyoming Carmelites but I feel called towards a more active life than the good brothers :p.

[quote="Te_Deum, post:5, topic:244321"]
I should have mentioned in my OP. I am aware of the Wyoming Carmelites but I feel called towards a more active life than the good brothers :p.

[/quote]

Have a look at the website for the Discalced Carmelite House of Prayer in California :) :

oakvillecarmelites.org/carmelite_website_best_010.htm

[quote="FCEGM, post:6, topic:244321"]
Have a look at the website for the Discalced Carmelite House of Prayer in California :) :

oakvillecarmelites.org/carmelite_website_best_010.htm

[/quote]

California's a bit out of the way for my lowly European self :p.

[quote="Te_Deum, post:7, topic:244321"]
California's a bit out of the way for my lowly European self :p.

[/quote]

So you're thinking of the FSSP seminary in Bavaria?
That is so cool. :thumbsup: A young man from my parish went there in september last year.

How is TLM doing in your part of Italy?

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:8, topic:244321"]
So you're thinking of the FSSP seminary in Bavaria?
That is so cool. :thumbsup: A young man from my parish went there in september last year.

How is TLM doing in your part of Italy?

[/quote]

I don't know how the TLM is doing in Italy, but in my part of Scotland it's going quite well regardless of how hard Archbishop Conti would like to pretend otherwise :p (I have Canossa in my profile-field as a pseudo-intellectual way of saying "I am a repentant sinner").

It's OLGS for me (possibly, as God Wills). I am willing to travel to the U.S. for education but I would prefer to work in Europe, namely the UK, being an English-speaker. Which is one of the reasons why I don't want to look at the U.S. for religious orders.

Hello Te Deum,

Having been a part of the OCD for a few years, I can confidently confirm that they, in general, celebrate Mass only in the ordinary form. However, because of Summorum pontificum, any priest is free to celebrate that form of the Mass, at least privately. If you find yourself dedicated to the Discalced Carmelite spirit and charism, and are willing to suffer with the inevitable backdraft you'd receive--from your brethren--for being of a more traditional mind, and want to help with the renewal of that form of religious life, go for it. It would be difficult, but that is supposed to be the nature of life as a Discalced Carmelite! You would find some of the brothers (and more of the sisters) to be very supportive of you, so it's not like you'd be all alone.

Dan

[quote="Te_Deum, post:9, topic:244321"]
I don't know how the TLM is doing in Italy, but in my part of Scotland it's going quite well regardless of how hard Archbishop Conti would like to pretend otherwise :p (I have Canossa in my profile-field as a pseudo-intellectual way of saying "I am a repentant sinner").

[/quote]

Oh.:D Greetings from Edinburgh! Good to hear that things are going well despite Conti's statements.

Don’t tell Father Emerson that I’ve been looking outside of the FSSP :p!

Good to hear that things are going well despite Conti’s statements.

Indeed. I had to make a return trip with Monsignor to the Tabernacle the other week. We’re still small though. But it can only go up :D.

[quote="Te_Deum, post:12, topic:244321"]
Don't tell Father Emerson that I've been looking outside of the FSSP :p!

[/quote]

Your secret is safe with me ;)

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.