Discerning a course for a Christian transformation

Hi,

Greetings and God Bless to you all!

I recently converted to Catholicism (was previously non-denominational) and God has really changed my life. I’ve grown so much closer to Him, in faith, trust and love, and now I feel like my next step should be a concerted effort on my part to throw aside the chains of my previously sinful nature and build a truly Christian moral conscience and live a virtuous life.

I’ve done some preliminary research and discernment, and have come across the Seven Virtues. I really would like to order my life according to these, standing on them in order to be closer to God and more like Jesus. But, how can I do that? There is so much depth in these Seven Virtues, it feels like I’m trying to jump onto a platform that’s miles above my head. It seems I need patience, perserverance, and God’s amazing grace to build a ladder to that platform.

How are you coming on your journey of spiritual formation and preparation for meeting our Creator? How did you get started? What did you read? What did you focus on? How did you make it more than just a intellectual interest? How did you resolve to make it into habit? How did you make it **real **for yourself?

Thanks!

Congratulations and Welcome Home. :extrahappy:

The journey of faith can be an exciting and unexpected adventure and I pray that it is for you as well. Reading your post, I can sense your excitement and zeal but also beyond that the commonsense realisation that you may be reaching too high too quickly.

it feels like I’m trying to jump onto a platform that’s miles above my head. It seems I need patience, perserverance, and God’s amazing grace to build a ladder to that platform.

May I suggest taking one step at a time? The Lord led the Israelites little by little to the promised land. Perhaps a solid foundation may be the best method of getting a steady base to put your ladder so that you don’t topple over? Sometimes in our joy and enthusiasm we reach so high, we miss the beauty of the flowers by our feet.

Without knowing how much you know, I would recommend The Great Adventure for learning about salvation history (I am doing that at the moment and enjoying it). Here is a link: biblestudyforcatholics.com/

The book I found the easiest to read is “Louder Than Words: The Art of Living as a Catholic” by Matthew Leonard. He was Evangelical before coming home. He writes in an easy conversational style and has real insight.

If your parish or diocese has any courses, you may like to consider joining one of them, that way you get some company for part of the way. Or speak to your parish priest, he probably has a number of great suggestions and resources.

I am sure that other people will have lots of other resources to share with you.

May God bless your journey.

PS. The above reflects the fact that I tend to try to do everything and fortunately God takes pity on me and intervenes.

Welcome home. Have fun growing in faith. We are all here to help each other grow in faith. The journey is a neverending process. We grow in faith every day as face life’s crosses. Let Go and Let God. Read the bible daily for inspiration. Get into the practice of making time for daily prayer. God bless and remember always, God loves you & never leaves you.

Start first by praying the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet every day and read The Way of Salvation and of Perfection by St. Alphonsus Liguori.The works of St. Alphonsus have been life changing for me.

Remember, don’t get discouraged when life does not go your way - “For the Lord disciplines him whom he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” Heb 12:6

Thank you all for your input, it was very helpful. God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.