Discerning an FSSP Vocation

I don't post on these forums very often, but I do browse around a bit and see what people are talking about here. I know the FSSP is pretty controversial, but I've been looking over some of their vocational material and am beginning to feel a strong pull toward them.

I am discerning a vocation to the priesthood, and have been considering diocesan (Archdiocese of Portland) or possibly Dominican. The thing is, the more I grow in my Catholic faith and identity, the more orthodox I become. I feel a strong devotion to the Tridentine Mass, the traditional sacraments and devotions, etc. It's been worrying me a bit that the diocesan priesthood will not fully allow me to explore this, and while I really appreciate the Dominican charism, I have felt some of the same concerns with them. I don't know if any of you have read "Goodbye, Good Men," but it's scary to think that US diocesan seminaries might reject an applicant just for being 'too orthodox' - and while I hear the seminary system has sorted itself out for the most part, I'm still a bit wary.

The $7,000 yearly tuition to Our Lady of Guadalupe seminary is something of a concern to me. I'm not sure how I will be able to pay that without my diocese sponsoring me, but that is a problem I will face as I come to it.

I'd love to hear from any FSSP seminarians or priests, who might be able to offer some guidance here. What has your experience been with the Fraternity?

The FSSP is not controversial.
Sometimes people get the FSSP and the SSPX mixed up.
(Without going into details the Vatican has had serious issues with the SSPX. Talks are ongoing.)

Cardinal Raymond Burke, who is the current Cardinal Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, at the Vatican, officiated at the five year anniversary of the Order in the Netherlands. - (At a Latin Mass.)
rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/11/pontifical-high-mass-in-amsterdam.html
Other articles about this can be found on the internet.

The FSSP is the "Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter" which does use the Tidentine (Latin) Mass. They were established by Pope John Paul II.
They are in full conformance with the Pope, and in the USA they have Apostolates in Dioceses in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.

If you do not get the info you are looking for on this web site, perhaps you could contact one of these.
FSSP Priests are legitimately ordained by our Bishops.

For anyone who is interested in vocations info, they should contact the Seminary -
Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary - Very Rev. Josef Bisig, FSSP Rector, PO Box 147, Denton NE. 68339, or [email]seminary@fsspolgs.org[/email]
fsspolgs.org/

In our FL Diocese, our Bishop helped them get their own Parish, and they hold Latin Masses throughout the Diocese at other Parishes. My only first hand experience is that sometimes I attend the Latin Mass.

God bless you in your vocation. We need more Priests to help save souls.

I’ll offer tomorrow’s Mass up for your discernment! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Anne. I was referring more to FSSP on this forum, where it seems like many people have a wide and controversial range of opinions regarding the Fraternity. Mea culpa for not being entirely clear. The Vatican endorsement of FSSP is one of the reasons I’m discerning a vocation there rather than to the SSPX.

Thank you for the contact information and both of your prayers. Are either of you associated with FSSP, by any chance?

[quote="matthewdknight, post:4, topic:262516"]
Thanks, Anne. I was referring more to FSSP on this forum, where it seems like many people have a wide and controversial range of opinions regarding the Fraternity. Mea culpa for not being entirely clear. The Vatican endorsement of FSSP is one of the reasons I'm discerning a vocation there rather than to the SSPX.

Thank you for the contact information and both of your prayers. Are either of you associated with FSSP, by any chance?

[/quote]

I go to an FSSP low Mass every now and then... does that count?:D

I was instructed and received into the church by an FSSP priest. They are awesome priests!

There really is no controversy at all. Some people prefer the ordinary form over the extraordinary form, so that would be the only consideration, since the FSSP celebrate the EF mass.

I will say a prayer for you as well. :thumbsup:

I’m afraid I can’t help with some practical advice but I belong to an FSSP parish. The last 2 years since I’ve been there have been the best in my life as a Catholic. The FSSP needs vocations in order to contribute to the spread of orthodoxy in the church. I pray for the increase in numbers and the opening of new seminaries. I hope you continue in this direction.

God bless.

I attended an FSSP Mass yesterday.

This is a quote from their paper that we could pick up after Mass.

" The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter is a Clerical Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical right, that is a community of Roman Catholic priests who do not take religious vows, but who work together for a common mission in the world. The mission of the Fraternity is two-fold; first, the formation and sanctification of priests in the traditional liturgy ("extraordinary form) of the Roman rite, and secondly, the pastoral deployment of priests in the service of the Church ".

I have one comment from attendence at the Mass -
It was more reverent, and the people were more respectful in their manner of dress, and general behavior.

I might add that those who do not understand Latin and wish to attend, might want to have or get a “Latin-English Booklet Missal” for praying the Traditional Mass.
“The Latin text of the Mass used in this Booklet Missal is according to the 1962 Typical edition of the Missale Romanum. English translations, pious prayers and devotions are complied from several traditional missals, all issued with Ecclesiastical Approbation.”

A diocese will not sponsor you. If you attend Our Lady of Guadalupe you would do so as an FSSP seminarian which is separate from the diocese. You may find a parish to help sponsor you.

This is something that you must discuss with the FSSP vocations director, how you will earn this money, most likely it will be over the summer by being assigned to various ministries for the FSSP or other summer work. They also might have grants/scholarships available.

Thanks for all your support. I've not been to an FSSP Mass yet, as there aren't any parishes here in Oregon, but I'm hoping to attend one when I'm in California around Christmastime. I really love everything this fraternity is doing and their traditional charism is very attractive to me.

[quote="ByzCath, post:9, topic:262516"]
A diocese will not sponsor you. If you attend Our Lady of Guadalupe you would do so as an FSSP seminarian which is separate from the diocese. You may find a parish to help sponsor you.

This is something that you must discuss with the FSSP vocations director, how you will earn this money, most likely it will be over the summer by being assigned to various ministries for the FSSP or other summer work. They also might have grants/scholarships available.

[/quote]

I heard the Knights of Columbus might be able to offer some help. There are also benefactors for Our Lady of Guadalupe who have sponsored seminarians in the past. I will definitely be getting in touch with the appropriate authorities. :thumbsup:

Again, thanks everyone! Still hoping to hear from an FSSP priest, if there even are any on this forum...

Hey, I am currently a candidate with the FSSP. I will be attending a retreat with them in June. If you feel called to the FSSP, the deadline for application for this coming year is May the 20th. There will be a mandatory retreat in June 4-8. I am also looking for benefactors that will support me. I am along with you brother I feel the call to be more orthodox. I was raised baptist but wanted to be more orthodox and traditional. I will be praying for you and hope to see you one day in seminary!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.