Discerning Career Path

I work full-time as a paramedic currently and have been for about five years. I have always been on the path to work in the medical field and it is the only thing I like to do. I am intelligent and very good at my job. But I don't want to remain here.

For the longest time I wanted to be a physician but am not sure if $300k in debt is worth it. I also don't want to be in school for eight more years, I am 24. I would consider midlevel providers like PA or NP but that is not really my concern right now.

A few years ago my Pap was put on hospice and the RN we had, Shaun, was fantastic. I thought at that time I wanted to become a RN for hospice but did not follow through. Over the past few months I have had some hospice patients and they were amazing experiences even if somewhat saddening. I am not sure if God is giving me signs to become a RN and move into the hospice field but I think maybe so.

Does anyone have any idea on how to discern or approach this?

DU

Hey bud

First I would suggest prayer and more prayer. Sometimes when I have felt anxiety about the future, it has helped to remember that God takes care of us where we are at, right now, that the very present is His will for us and that we are not to fear the future.

It sounds like in some ways you have answered your own question. Perhaps you should pursue an RN degree now, you’ve identified some very fulfilling aspects of that role, and in addition it is the type of degree that lends itself to further education down the road should you ever desire it.

[quote="snowman10, post:1, topic:202084"]
I work full-time as a paramedic currently and have been for about five years. I have always been on the path to work in the medical field and it is the only thing I like to do. I am intelligent and very good at my job. But I don't want to remain here.

For the longest time I wanted to be a physician but am not sure if $300k in debt is worth it. I also don't want to be in school for eight more years, I am 24. I would consider midlevel providers like PA or NP but that is not really my concern right now.

A few years ago my Pap was put on hospice and the RN we had, Shaun, was fantastic. I thought at that time I wanted to become a RN for hospice but did not follow through. Over the past few months I have had some hospice patients and they were amazing experiences even if somewhat saddening. I am not sure if God is giving me signs to become a RN and move into the hospice field but I think maybe so.

Does anyone have any idea on how to discern or approach this?

DU

[/quote]

I think God put desires in our hearts, and this could be HIS way of telling us what to do.

Go for it!

If you want to work in hospice, hey, I say go for your RN degree, and good luck with it, sounds great....and you know you can always get a job:0)

since you are already a paramedic, you ever think about respiratory therapy? Just wondering. If I were you, though, i'd go the RN route, or even nurse anethenist (?sp)...now there's big bucks there...and it's pretty rewarding and challenging work.
Just a thought.

[quote="phoenixrrt62, post:4, topic:202084"]
If you want to work in hospice, hey, I say go for your RN degree, and good luck with it, sounds great....and you know you can always get a job:0)

since you are already a paramedic, you ever think about respiratory therapy? Just wondering. If I were you, though, i'd go the RN route, or even nurse anethenist (?sp)...now there's big bucks there...and it's pretty rewarding and challenging work.
Just a thought.

[/quote]

Dad is an RRT. I was thinking of it because I can't stand poop but phlegm/vomit I could care less about.

Maybe I'll just be a forest ranger

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.