Discerning Institue of Christ the King

Hello. After a fairly long time of discernment, beginning first when I was around 14, now comming 21, I had applied this year for the diocesan seminary.

During the examinations and interviews in June, I had decided this wasn’t a good path to take. The questionable orthodoxy took precedence over the very small numbers (just 2 last year) but the new chapel they had inherited pretty much confirmed by suspicions.

I am now considering the Institute of Christ the King. They look very impressive. It would involve me moving country and learning a new language to study, which is a fairly big step, but not so much that it isn’t stopping me from considering them. Only, I feel a little bit beyond my pay grade. I love the TLM immensely and I would also occasionally serve (as a secondary) to our own two monthly Masses in this Diocese, but my latin needs much improvement and I feel a little out of my league.

I will be meeting Canon Wulfran next month which I am really looking forward to, but I just want to ask for some advice about the order if anyone would be able to offer any. The web information available is fair, but still slim pickings. I know due to their vow of poverty the likelihood of having someone to talk to over the internet would be fairly unlikely, but I would appreciate any extra information, resources or advice anyone would be kind enough to offer.

Thank you very much in advance.

I don’t know much about the ICRSS, other than that they offer both the ordinary form of the Mass (1969) and the traditional Mass (I think various older missals) and follow a particular spirituality.

The FSSP, which I highly recommmend, has an English speaking seminary in the U.S.A. and a French and German-speaking one in Germany. They use the 1962 missal only (with traditional customs), and let you choose your own spirituality (whether Franciscan, Benedictine, Salesian, eclectic or whatever – with, of course, solid ground rules and formation).

May God guide your discernment.

I’d also recommend the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius. They celebrate both Forms of the Mass, and both reverently. I know they have a presence in the States.

May God bless and guide you in your discernment process!

Just to clarify, ICRSS only celebrates the EF not the OF. Well, I was looking for links to a presentation one of the abbes gave regarding the seminary schedule and their classes at Gricigliano, but sadly it’s disappeared. I know the fisheaters web site had a thread regarding ICRSS and FSSP and there was some personal anecdotes.

And you’ve probably seen these videos but just in case…

This is one with Canon Talarico:
youtube.com/watch?v=tCC6DgaMUOs

+++

And these show various aspects of the seminary
icrsp.org/Pages/videos.php

Les derniers mois écoulés et la rentrée à Gricigliano

Les Ordinations 2012

and the last entry at the bottom of the page, entitled “Film réalisé par les séminaristes”

amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

I have some friends who have visited their seminary and they were all really impressed. My experiences with their fathers/Masses has also been very positive, even though I never visited Gricigliano.

Try to read up on St. Francis de Sales if you did not already. Also know that their spirit is very European (in a good way), which means that Tradition is not only doctrine but rather the whole spirit of Catholicism, which also includes beauty and mystery etc. Their Priests are rather noble/genteel but also quite light hearted from my experience. I have been told that a part of discerning is finding a place that feels like “home”, so do not go there if you do not feel like they could become your family…

You will learn languages once you are in Italy so do not let such small things stop you if God really wants you there.

I wish you the best of luck and may St. Francis de Sales guide you!

I just noticed I didn’t put the English for the above links, my apologies!

Les derniers mois écoulés et la rentrée à Gricigliano
The past few months and the return to Gricigliano

Les Ordinations 2012
2012 Ordinations

Film réalisé par les séminaristes
Film produced by the seminarians

icrsp.org/Pages/videos.php

As I’ve said before, looking at the many pictures posted on their site, what’s stuck me with the Institute
is great solemnity and reverence during the sacred ceremonies, many smiles outside them, and quiet joy
in both.

amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a
fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

The Institute definitely does not take a vow of poverty, and they have oblates (clerics in non-Sacramental orders) who do a lot of internet work Email should be no problem. There are Americans in the Institute, but I have heard many have a bit of adjusting. The Institute is very European, to the extent that the garden variety American (comparative good ol’ boys) would find some stuff strange or silly.

Anyway, PM me, I have plenty to say.

In simple terms at the institute you will see stuff like this:

Whereas anywhere else you will see the Knights of Columbus and altar boys dressed in cassock or alb.

Hello bertblyleven,

Do you happen to have and are able to post more pictures of them outside the church?

Are those knightsbof columbus in the second picture?

Thank you for your time.

Fantastic! Thank you very much everyone for the input. It has taken me so long to get back to this thread due to being busy!

I had searched online regarding vows and thought I read that they had, but that is something! It wasn’t stopping me from considering them but it did worry me a little about the transition, especially along with the change of language and country.

The Canons Regular of St. John Cantius look brilliant, though I am from Ireland, but thank you for the link. Their website is quite good. I will surely see if I can grab some books from St Francis de Sales, and I will surely send you a message at some stage BertBlyleven!

Thanks a lot for the replies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.