Discerning Make-up

So, the thread on here about mineral makeup has got me thinking, and I’d like everyone’s, especially the womens’, thoughts on this.

First, a bit of background info…

I’ve never used makeup. Never ever. Except once, I let a friend put some on me for a party. But I have never done any of it myself. My mom never offered to teach me about it that I can remember, and I never asked. For most of my teenage years, it was a point of personal pride, and a bit of a shock factor for telling my friends, “I don’t use any makeup!” I saw my girl friends using it to look more like prostitutes rather than women. I saw it being used as a mask to hide behind, because they weren’t comfortable with themselves. All this strengthened my conviction to never use makeup. And it’s not like I had, or have, perfect skin, either. I’ve had acne of varying levels since I was about 12. I also developed the bad habit of scratching it, which I haven’t been able to break, yet, so that doesn’t help.

Fast forward to now: I’m a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I don’t like dressing up, and I have come to realize that’s because I feel that if I have on nice clothes, I need to put on jewelry, I should do something with my hair, wear nicer shoes, and probably put on makeup. So all my nicer clothes (I’m not talking about dresses here, just nice tops and perhaps a skirt) stay tucked away. I feel too self-concious, like I’m doing something wrong to be dressing this way, when I haven’t got the whole package. Oh, and I also wear glasses. I can’t stand contacts, my eyes are too dry, and I have stigmatizm(sp?) in both eyes, so the prescription will never be quite right, and I’m a science student with three labs a week, and contacts are not allowed to be worn then. And to top it all off, I’m on crutches, making me look even more awkward.
Here’s me:
Boo!

Yes, I have some questions for you all. First, why do you, personally, wear makeup? What do you think about what I’m thinking about makeup and dressing nicely?(follow that? :p) And finally, do you think I should order one of those sample kits from the mineral makeup company all the other people are trying and give it a shot? :o
Thanks in advance!

BTW… you’re gorgeous! :slight_smile:

I know exactly where you’re coming from… I was really there in high school… same concept… almost a level of pride :o for being “au natural”, so I really do understand that mentality…

I guess my step into makeup happened during my freshman year of college…
My mom started selling Mary Kay (mostly just to get the discount by being her own distributor… she’s not a “sales lady” personality)… so she offered to buy it for me.
At the same time I was falling in love with my husband-to-be… who happened to be 10 years older than me. I spent a lot of time with his friends, going out on the town, etc…
I noticed there were 3 kinds of “makeup people”… LOL… those who didn’t wear ANY… those who didn’t look like they were wearing any, but seemed to always look BEAUTIFUL… and those who looked WAY to made-up…
I was starting to want to look more attractive and more mature while I was dating… but I didn’t want to fall in that third category…
So I experimented with my makeup a lot. Always VERY simple… a nice soft foundation to cover up my blemishes, some mascara to highlight my eyes, and some lipstick… that was IT. But it really made me feel more confident and beautiful when I was hanging out with my boyfriend’s friends… I wanted him to find me attractive! :o
I still wear very simple makeup… sometimes a little blush now for some color… but just enough to feel “made up” and pretty.
And yes, my mom still buys my Mary Kay! :smiley: I always get stocked up at Christmas and Easter time… it’s a great gift!

That’s my little story… hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Edited to add… here’s a pict of me with the most makeup I’ll ever wear, LOL! This is just before my sister’s wedding… I’m the pregnant brunette…:wink:

You are beautiful, first off. I wish I had your hair and looked that good in my glasses!

I have never been a girly girl–my mom really despaired of me growing up, because she wanted a dainty daughter. :stuck_out_tongue: I wear glasses that are pretty much coke bottles, since my vision is 20/8000. Legally blind. I just grow my hair out long because I can’t be bothered with a style, though every now and then I hack if off and then complain how horrible I look with short hair!

The only makeup I wear is concealer to hide my dark circles (hereditary), and some mineral powder, just so I don’t look half-dead. In my mind, the makeup is not to gussy me up, but to make me look normal. :wink: I sometimes wear mascara, otherwise my eyes really disappear behind my glasses.

If I wear lipstick, it looks just wrong on me. Ditto eyeshadow and blush. I see makeup as a tool to help me look as good as I can without looking artificial. My husband loves the way I look without makeup, or with the little bit I wear to go out of the house.

I look at the OP’s picture and think, “Wow. She’s lucky, she has big beautiful eyes and doesn’t need any makeup.” :thumbsup:

Oh, and as for “dressing up”–I wear a long denim skirt to church, with a long sleeved t shirt, and that’s as dressed up as I get. With my minimal makeup it looks fine, i suppose. I wear a skirt to church because it feels right to me. I wear jeans most other times, and if i’m heading to a weekday Liturgy and haven’t the time to get changed.

I’ve worn make-up since I was 14 years old. I have broken blood vessles on my face, and really un-even skin. It just makes me feel better. Though I wear less make-up now than I used to, as DH really doesn’t like it.

I hear you! I’m 27 now, and I very rarely wear makeup. Too many people do it badly! I’m blessed to have mostly unblemished skin, though, so it’s easy for me to go without. You look pretty without makeup, too.

I understand what you mean about needing to dress up. Now I’m a teacher, I’m beginning to try to look better - but I still don’t feel real when I’m dressed up. This is the second year that I’ve really worn dresses and occasionally makeup. It’s a struggle for me to look pretty, modest, and like myself.

I have similar colouring to you, but no freckles. This is what I do with makeup, when I do it. I don’t wear foundation or any base type thingy. I use light brown or dark gold eyeshadow (I have a cream eyeshadow that I really like), no eyeliner or mascara, pink lipstick that’s fairly close to my natural lip colour, and no lipliner. I sometimes use lip gloss instead of lipstick, and I have a few other colours like light purple or orangey-red. My main thing is no unnatural colours - both the eyeshadow and lipstick have to be similar to my natural colouring.

For other decorative stuff, just pick one thing. I will wear a bracelet, or a necklace, or earrings, or sometimes two of the three if they came as a set, but never all three together. That just looks like I’m trying too hard. And I tend to wear very simple earrings (just hoops, maybe) if my shirt is particularly pretty.

It’ll probably take you three to five years to really find your style if you’re a jeans and t-shirt type girl. Don’t worry about that. If you’re the type to let a friend advise you, don’t buy anything unless you actually like it. I hate being talked into buying a skirt, or a shade of lipstick, and then get home to find I can’t bring myself to wear it.

I hate wearing make-up. I hate the time it takes and the effort. But have to wear concealer under my eyes, because my circles are so dark I look sickly and unwell. Nothing i try helps them go away. And you can’t just have concealer under your eyes, because it stands out, you need powder all over your face make everything look even. ugh. I hate my eye circles. If I didn’t have them, I would not wear make-up. I say if you look fine without it don’t waste the time and money on it. I really wish I didn’t need it.

**First off, I see why you have been going “au naturele”… you are pretty without make up! BUT I can understand what you are saying.

As a heavy participant on the mineral make up thread I say GO FOR IT! Order some sample kits (free except for shipping) and experiment. I think mineral make up would be your perfect solution because it’ll give you that bit of “polish” to your look without looking made up. You, only better:thumbsup:.

But be careful…we have ladies on the thread who have never worn make up and are now buying 20 eyeshadows, LOL:rotfl:

Personally, I wear make up for the same reason I pick a flattering colored shirt or good fitting pair of jeans…it makes me feel pretty. I go without make up quite a bit too, but when I do apply it I feel more even and balanced (I have blotchy skin and acne scars). And it can be FUN! You can wear a sparkly bright eyeshadow or a bright lipstick without looking like a prostitute if it’s applied properly:D

First off, I’m going to agree wholeheartedly with what everyone else has said here thus far - you are BEAUTIFUL! And I can definitely see why you’ve never seen makeup as a necessity - because you definitely don’t NEED it :).

I’ve worn make-up since I was in junior high - starting with the colored mascara that was trendy at the time. But once I got into high school, I kind of did a 180 and was more like you describe yourself - jeans and tshirt, au naturele no make-up. I wore make-up for really special ocassions like prom and that was it. My mom, though, is very much a make-up wearer (imagine 80’s magenta eyeshadow…she just stopped wearing stuff like that about 7-8 yrs ago) so she got me started once I asked the first time. It’s been on and off for me and I do still normally not wear make-up, especially if I’m just home with little Matthew. But I have make-up available if we’re going to church, out on a date, or meeting up with friends outside our home.

One thing I will say - and maybe others have already said it - is that make-up should look natural on you. What it does is hide blemishes and makes the already beautiful features on your face stand out even more. And there’s no need to get rid of your glasses just to wear make-up. If you want, I’d say “go for it!” as far as getting the sample kit :). Make-up can be a lot of fun to play with. Also, if you’re unsure of how to use it, I’d suggest going to a department store with make-up counters and you can usually get someone to give you a makeover for free and they’ll show you and tell you how to apply everything. I’ve done that several times because I’m Asian and my eyelids are different than most - so eyeshadow looks horrible when I put it on the same way an average Caucasian woman does. :smiley:

Man here…

I too think you are a beautiful young woman. It’s up to you if you want to wear it, but you don’t need it. Why gild the lily, so to speak?

I myself have always gravitated to the “wild roses” (see below). Only one of the women that I ever dated wore makeup - or that I could tell, anyway. And if you can easily tell, it’s probably too much. :slight_smile:

As the song says:

There’s beautiful girls here, oh, never you mind
With beautiful shapes nature never designed
And lovely complexions all roses and cream
But O’Loughlin remarked with regard to the same
That if at those roses you venture to sip
The colours might all come away on your lip
So I’ll wait for the wild rose that’s waitin’ for me
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

For me personally, when I put on makeup I feel more girly and in a better mood. The days that I don’t wear makeup I feel kinda scroungy looking. But then again, that’s just me personally. NOt everyone has the same outlook on makeup. :wink:

I say give a sample kit a try and see how you like it, you might really like it. Also, I wear jeans and tees everyday (SAHM) and I still put on makeup!! :thumbsup: (although, you are really pretty w/out it;) )

I also rarely wore makeup when I was younger. Now, I wear a little bit, mostly because I like they way I look and I feel more put together. I’m a SAHM to two little ones and feeling put together helps me get more stuff done! I put on concealer, bronzer (instead of foundation), mascara, a small amount of blush, and lip gloss. It takes me about 5 minutes. It’s noticeable to others (I get “hey, you look nice today” comments), but not too much. And it makes me feel good, so it’s worth it to me. If you don’t want to wear it, don’t! But if you think you might like it, give it a shot.

As for clothing, I’m a jeans and T-shirt girl too. But I’ve started to wear jeans and a nicer top. Again, it helps me feel more put together. It also makes me look older - I’m 26 and look about 20, which is nice in some ways, but people look at me funny with two small children in tow! I have tried to get into wearing skirts, but I just can’t do it, outside of special occasions.

MJ

I’ve always worn make-up and jewelry with nice clothing. It makes me feel better about myself, and my job is a professional one in which I have to look my best.
If I were you, I’d start out with a very light water-based foundation, lightly applied; a tiny bit of eyeliner; a brush or two of mascara, and a light touch of lip gloss.
Then I’d bring those skirts and blouses out into the sunshine and wear them occasionally until I got used to them.
Now, that is just me talking about what I like.
You have to do what YOU feel comfortable doing!
BTW, you look very pretty!

Hi! I’m lucky, in that my skin is pretty nice without makeup so I can go without, but usually I do put a little bit on. I used to use tinted moisturizer (I love Neutrogena’s or Clinique) but now I use Bare Minerals. It evens out my skin tone just a bit and I look polished. I wear a little tinted lip gloss, and that’s it. I slip on my nice jeans and a turtleneck, cool boots, and I feel like I look decent instead of harried mom of 2!!!

If we’re going out or I want to be more dressed up, I wear mascara and eyeliner and a little eye makeup, but that’s rare.

If you do try the mineral makeup, try Bare Minerals (by Bare Escentules - I’m misspelling it but it’s a funky spelling). I tried Sheer Cover (the one with Liza Gibbons) and it was just ok, I also tried some available at local drugstores, but the real Bare Minerals, wow, it makes a huge difference. And it’s so easy. Sometimes I forget I have it on and I go to bed with it still on, and it’s fine. My husband got me the intro kit for Christmas - it’s not too bad, and now Target carries it!

GL!

You look like my older dd, though she has blue eyes. Your hair, face shape and skin coloring look similar to hers. My dd doesn’t wear make up either, unless she’s dressed up to go out. (my 17 yr old dd is another story!)

If you have a few dollars to spare, try the EM sample kit and see what you think.

I am absolutely the same - I totally feel scroungy if I don’t have make up on. Today, for example, I’m in some casual velvet jogging pants, an over sized henley top, my hair up in a knot, glasses, and no make up. (Working from home once in awhile has its benefits :wink: ) But today I feel like a total slob. Now DH would not agree with me, but I just don’t feel put together unless I have make up on.

I think when it comes to dressing up and whether or not to put make up on, it really is personal preference. But I think every woman looks a little more polished and put together when she is dressed up if she uses a little make up - and it doesn’t really take much - just to look as if she actually cared and took some effort to look nice, and didn’t just throw on a dress and walk out the door.

But again - this is very much personal preference and I’m sure there are those out there who would disagree with me.

:shrug:

~Liza

1. You are very pretty!
  2. I am assuming that you have been lurking on the Everyday Minerals thread :slight_smile: so you see how the makeup has worked on the rest of us.
  3. If you want to, go ahead and take the plunge with getting a sample kit. Just beware that the right tools will make the difference with how the makeup looks. You wouldn’t use a petri dish to boil chemicals, would you?

I’m a jeans and T-shirt gal. I wear a small amount of make up. Foundation, blush and lipstick. That’s it. It’s gives a little color to my fair skin.

There’s so much I’d like to say here, ladies, but I don’t want everyone’s eyes to glaze over, so I’ll try to be brief. :wink:

Make up applied correctly is only meant to enhance our good points and minimize our bad ones. I’m afraid too many of us grew up with the idea that make up makes one look artificial from the way we saw other girls mis-apply it.

So, when we get into our later teens and twenties we shy away from trying it. Also, our culture goes way overboard with the whole glam thing, which is also off-putting to those of us who like to live a simpler lifestyle.

You don’t have to buy expensive mineral make up kits shown on TV. Any drugstore carries mineral make up in many brand names. I use Neutrogena for its purity, for instance.

OP, you are a very pretty girl. All you need is a bit of eyebrow plucking, simple make up, and a good dermatologist for your acne. You’ve got beautiful eyes and full lips–things other women would kill to have. I emphasize it again–**YOU ARE A PRETTY GIRL!!!
As for wearing dresses and other pretty things, I say why not? We’re women, aren’t we? I love beautiful pins/brooches. And I have decided I will not let the prevailing trend towards masculinity in women’s fashions to keep me from wearing them.

So, don’t feel funny wearing dresses or pretty things. The more you do the more you find yourself feeling pretty and like a womanly woman.

Wow - I think women’s fashions are more feminine now than they have been in decades!! I love all the pretty flouncy skirts, and blouses with ruffles, and cute handbags that are in style now. Gone for good (I hope) are the Annie Hall Days!!!

~Liza

Wow, so many replies! :eek:

First of all, thank you to everyone who said I was pretty. ^^;; It is nice to hear that from complete strangers, in a way, rather than my mom and bf… after all, love is blind. :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading through what everyone has said, I think I will order a sample kit from Everyday Minerals (yes, I have been lurking in that thread :P), just to try it and see if I like it. I have a friend who is really good with makeup, so I’ll ask her if she knows about mineral makeup, and I think there are some youtube videos demonstrating how to apply it. I would like to just try and cover up the blemishes, really, and perhaps have a bit of fun with sparkling eyeshadow :stuck_out_tongue: As several people said, makeup should be about enhancing yourself, and not covering yourself up, right? So I guess if I go at it with that attitude, I should be alright.

Eyebrow plucking? Eeeeh. :o Maybe. I’ve seen too many people with little to no brows, and the way it grows back in looks soooo bad… I may clean up the middle, in between my brows, but nothing else. As for a dermatologist… sigh I’ve tried, I really have. Nothing works. I’ve resigned myself to my skin clearing up when it feels like it, and not a moment sooner.

Please, keep the replies coming! I’m interested in why other people wear makeup.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.