Discerning, need some advice

My faith is not that deep. Sometimes I think I believe in God, and a sense of joy and peace comes over me. But then other times I think that religion is the ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What led you to become more religious? I'm attracted to the life of a priest, but although my heart believes my mind sometimes does not.

How’s your prayer life? Do you take time to talk with God on a daily basis? Do you regularly the sacraments of Holy Communion and Confession? Those are the main things that will increase your faith.

Pray, pray, pray, pray, pray.

I didn't become more religious. That said, as a result of daily Mass, frequent confession - though not excessively frequent - and spending a minimum of an hour a week in the Adoration Chapel, I have had a deeper encounter with Jesus Christ. Unlike in the Prot. world I grew up in, it wasn't a single "aha moment" or anything like that. More like a very quiet, very soft, very gentle deepenig of the relaitonship. It has happened gradually over the past 9 months or so. Have all of my quesitons disappeared? No. Are my heart and my head always on the same page? Also, no. For me it's the head knows but the heart struggles to believe for myself what I know to be true for everyone else. One of the greatest gifts of being a Catholic is the fact that faith isn't a destination. It's a journey. And it's okay to admit that you have questions and that sometimes the head and the heart aren't on the same page.
Kris

I was once like you - I had a wavering belief in God for a very long time. His existence seemed nonsensical to me at times.

You wouldn’t have posted this thread if you were not aware of your desire for him. Regardless of your current measure of belief, enrich your prayer life, stay close to the Church, stay close to Mary and frequent Confession. Receive the Eucharist as often as you are able and go to Adoration if it is available near you. By participating in the prayer life of the Church, and by receiving the special graces that come from the Sacraments, your faith will over time grow and strengthen.

Pax.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.