Discerning who my patron saint should be for confirmation- help!

Hi everyone! I’m currently in RCIA to be baptized, confirmed, and receive Holy Communion this Easter Vigil in one week! However, I am having a difficult time discerning who my patron saint should be. I have researched many saints and their patronages, but I don’t feel an emotional pull towards any of them.

I read on another thread that you don’t really pick your patron saint, that they are already chosen for you. I also read that the first and middle names you’re given by your parents also help to discern a patron saint. My name is Leanne Elizabeth, leading to Saint Anne and Saint Elizabeth. Both were very important mothers and both are patron saints of pregnancy and pregnant mothers, which is interesting, as I have always been interested in pregnancy and human development, as well as considered obstetrics as a possible career.

These seem like good matches, but I’m concerned that I don’t feel enough of an emotional tie to them. In reading other posts, it seems like a lot of people just felt an immediate connection to their patron saint upon discovering who they were. I hate to judge my own faith based on someone else’s, but I’m concerned that any pick I make will be shallow. Does anyone have any ideas?

emotions are not really the best guide to spiritual progress or truth, your interest in allied areas that mesh with the lives of your saints are enough to establish a connection, as is the all important fact that your parents chose these names for you. If you are going to go through a list of saint biographies looking for an emotional zing you may be disappointed–like going through a list of bachelors on-line and expecting to fall in love.

Don’t worry, lemonadish,

You can’t get any shallower than choosing your confirmation saint based on “oh wow, there’s this friendly girl on my high school cross country team, think I’ll pick my saint to match her name, only spell it in Spanish because I’m a Spanish major!” :o

I ended up with St. Teresa of Avila, am very happy with that for more mature reasons, and sincerely hope she doesn’t mind being stuck with me too much. :slight_smile:

As for your rationale for picking maybe St. Ann or St. Elizabeth as a patron saint, it sounds very noble of you that you’d select either one based on the importance of motherhood and pregnancy. Mary of course would be another obvious choice.

Praying for you as you enter the Church!

:blessyou:

Yeah, that’s right. And to lemonadish, welcome to the Family of God! Who would you most like to emulate? Who has the personality that is like, or the closest to, yours? Who makes you say, “I wish I were like that.” Just some questions to consider.

I vote for St. Theresa of Liseux (french name I cannot spell), but she was the founder of “The Little Way”, which is a beautiful example to follow for the 21st Century.

They both sound wonderful. Ask your mother which of them is her favourite, and there you go - you’ll have your Patron Saint. :thumbsup:

Don’t you have to have the name in pretty quick, now, though? So that it can be included in your paperwork.

These seem like good matches, but I’m concerned that I don’t feel enough of an emotional tie to them. In reading other posts, it seems like a lot of people just felt an immediate connection to their patron saint upon discovering who they were. I hate to judge my own faith based on someone else’s, but I’m concerned that any pick I make will be shallow. Does anyone have any ideas?

Don’t over-think it, and don’t worry about “feelings.” Any Patron Saint is a good one - the point is just to have a friend praying for you in Heaven. Having an emotional connection is a bonus, but not a requirement.

They both sound wonderful. Ask your mother which of them is her favourite, and there you go - you’ll have your Patron Saint

I will definitely ask her, but I have a feeling she’ll pick Elizabeth- her mother. :wink: Who ironically enough, had my mother at an “older” age, 18 years after the birth of her first child and 15 after the birth of the second. :slight_smile: Thanks for that advice!

I would like to thank everyone for their replies to my question. I am confident I have figured out who it will be : Saint Therese of Lisieux (thank you for that suggestion Julian0404 :slight_smile: )

Don’t worry too much. It’s not a part of the sacrament or liturgical celebration, so if you have trouble it’s really not that big a deal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.