Discernment as a non-Catholic before entering University

Dear friends,

I don't know whether it's Providence, chance or just me being silly that I post this thread. Let me explain my circumstances: I'm 19, live in Germany, finished my A-levels about 1 year and a few months ago and I am currently an Anglican, but have decided after quite some time of consideration to become Catholic. Hopefully that is complete by the end of this year.

From September 2012 until this coming Friday, 30 August I've been giving one year of service to my Anglican parish to have some time to discern my plans for the future. I knew that Catholicism would be part of that future, since I was quite close to deciding to convert when I started this year of service.

I decided to study Catholic theology at university. Unfortunately, there's been a set-back and I am not at all sure whether this will work out in the next few weeks or not. That has caused me to rethink my course of life. Upon reflection, I find that Catholicism and theology are a passion of mine, they warm my heart and grab me. Now that I have been brought to reconsider my plans, I came to ask myself: "What about the Priesthood?"

Just before leaving school I had briefly pondered the question and shoved it away to some distant drawer in my mind. Even during the last few months I have been telling people I didn't "feel called" to be a priest. To be honest with you: I don't think I even know what it was supposed to "feel" like. I must have been expecting some voice saying "Hey, you! I want you to be a priest."

A few of the people at the parish thought I was going to be a priest. One lady came up to me and told me "You'll make a wonderful priest." for which I thanked her, but replying the usual: "I don't feel called, but if it comes, I'm open to it."

Well, to stop beating about the bush: I wonder whether all of that and the set-back for university had a place in God's plan or whether I'm just being silly. I'm not sure whether there actually is the nagging in my heart that I think might be there.

But as I am not even Catholic yet, I'm unsure whether God would call someone who isn't a Catholic to be a Catholic priest. Above that, I know I am a horrible sinner. Really I am. There's so much mortal sin on my soul that it would almost average one mortal sin a day for at least a year. :blush: I can't imagine God would call such people to be priests. But still, I'm not all that certain about it, since I'm writing this post. Do you think He does?

I'm not sure how to continue this post, so I shall wrap it up with these few points:

[LIST=1]
*]Above all else, may I request your prayers for my discernment whether God is calling me or not. Thank you.
*]Do you know of anything that could help discerning what God wants me to do? Maybe questions I should ponder?
*]Do you think God calls notorious sinners and non-Catholics to the Catholic priesthood?
[/LIST]

I'd be so grateful for help. If there is anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.:blush:

God bless you all.

God can do anything He wants. If indeed He is calling you to the Catholic faith, and that may or may not include the priesthood, keep praying for discernment, and for your spiritual formation.

[quote="CutlerB, post:1, topic:337556"]
Above all else, may I request your prayers for my discernment whether God is calling me or not. Thank you.

[/quote]

Will Do!

Do you know of anything that could help discerning what God wants me to do? Maybe questions I should ponder?

[/quote]

Have you spoken to a priest about this, or do you have a spiritual director? Speaking with either could help you to come to a decision on whether you are being called or not.

Do you think God calls notorious sinners and non-Catholics to the Catholic priesthood?

[/quote]

Yes, as evidenced especially by the Anglican priests who then become Catholic, and then even Catholic priests.

And just for you:
Alles Gute und viel Glück, herr CutlerB!
Gott sei mit Sie!

[quote="bzkoss236, post:3, topic:337556"]
Will Do!

[/quote]

Thank you so much. :)

Have you spoken to a priest about this, or do you have a spiritual director? Speaking with either could help you to come to a decision on whether you are being called or not.

[/quote]

Not yet, since I haven't even converted yet. I'm not sure about spiritual direction... I live in the diaspora and don't know whether that's offered here.

Yes, as evidenced especially by the Anglican priests who then become Catholic, and then even Catholic priests.

[/quote]

How could I forget those? :eek: :)

And just for you:
Alles Gute und viel Glück, herr CutlerB!
Gott sei mit Sie!

[/quote]

Vielen Dank, bzkoss236! Gott segne Sie! :)

From a fellow convert, I think it would be best to concentrate first on becoming a Catholic, get yourself a spiritual Director, read the Church Fathers, and any good Catholic literature, and maybe some stories of Converts like Marcus Grodi, Dr. Scott Hann, etc you can get good Catholic literature from EWTN and click on Catalogue, or go into a Catholic Book shop in Germany, your English is excellent , you will have to wait maybe two years after becoming a Catholic to go on to the Seminary.

You are only young as for your mortal sins, back again to having a Spiritual Director and going to him for Confession when your nearing becoming a Catholic, don't worry you , the Lord, yourself and the Spiritual Director will work on what ever sins you have, we are all mortal, the big thing is knowing that we are human and fall, but get back up with determination to try and do better.

May the Lord be with you on the Damascus Road and what joy you will find in the Catholic Church.

Catholicism is Christianity at its fullest expression
Catholicism is pre denominational. We are the originals.

Yes, God calls notorious sinners to the priesthood. Even if you are not Catholic yet, make an appointment to see a Catholic priest. Tell him your thoughts and ask his advice.

And fervently pray to God since He is your Father and ask Him what His will is for you. You may not get a feeling but a growing understanding and a gentle push as time passes. You might also come to realize that God is calling you to do something else.

Allow me to welcome you.

God bless,
Ed

God calls who He wants to the priesthood. First off, we're all sinners including priests. There have been priests and even saints who were quite sinful before turning to God. I would suggest first going through the process to become Catholic, and then with the help of a spiritual director begin to discern the priesthood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.