Discernment Group for women

Hello, I am a youth minister for junior high and high school kids. The Lord has led both our youth priest and myself to start a discernment group for our parish. We will be using the Melchizedech Project materials for the young mens group, but I am unable to find any materials already available to help the young women's group. Is anyone aware of materials already existing that I could purchase? Thank you in advance for your time.

[quote="JesusSeeker123, post:1, topic:317756"]
Hello, I am a youth minister for junior high and high school kids. The Lord has led both our youth priest and myself to start a discernment group for our parish. We will be using the Melchizedech Project materials for the young mens group, but I am unable to find any materials already available to help the young women's group. Is anyone aware of materials already existing that I could purchase? Thank you in advance for your time.

[/quote]

I don't know where you would find such material for women but perhaps the reason you can't find any materials for the women's group is because discerning the priesthood is a calling for men and women can't be ordained priests?

I did find this for you:

melchizedekproject.com/

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

(CCC#1544-1545 regarding the ministeral priesthood of Christ Jesus):

The one priesthood of Christ

1544 Everything that the priesthood of the Old Covenant prefigured finds its fulfillment in Christ Jesus, the “one mediator between God and men.”15 The Christian tradition considers Melchizedek, “priest of God Most High,” as a prefiguration of the priesthood of Christ, the unique “high priest after the order of Melchizedek”;16 “holy, blameless, unstained,”17 “by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified,”18 that is, by the unique sacrifice of the cross. (874)

1545 The redemptive sacrifice of Christ is unique, accomplished once for all; yet it is made present in the Eucharistic sacrifice of the Church. The same is true of the one priesthood of Christ; it is made present through the ministerial priesthood without diminishing the uniqueness of Christ’s priesthood: “Only Christ is the true priest, the others being only his ministers.”19

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply. We ordered those materials for the mens group from the website you listed below. The women's group is more about discerning to see if being a nun is something the young women are called to. It was not to discern the priesthood, since Jesus has called men for that particular vocation, it will be to guide them in their possible calling as a consecrated sister. I did email the Melchizedek project and they said they would love to create something for women's vocations in the future but have not at this current time. I was just wondering if they had anything out there to assist women in discernment also. Thank you again for your response.

I found this link in discerning the religious life. There were many more sites that offered information. Good luck:

vocationquest.org/

That is perfect! God bless you for your help :slight_smile:

[quote="JesusSeeker123, post:5, topic:317756"]
That is perfect! God bless you for your help :)

[/quote]

Your welcome. God Bless You too.

[quote="JesusSeeker123, post:3, topic:317756"]
Thank you so much for your reply. We ordered those materials for the mens group from the website you listed below. The women's group is more about discerning to see if being a nun is something the young women are called to. It was not to discern the priesthood, since Jesus has called men for that particular vocation, it will be to guide them in their possible calling as a consecrated sister. I did email the Melchizedek project and they said they would love to create something for women's vocations in the future but have not at this current time. I was just wondering if they had anything out there to assist women in discernment also. Thank you again for your response.

[/quote]

There are plenty of vocations for women that aren't necessarily nuns. I strongly recommend you expand past the marriage or nun discernment cliche.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.