Discouraged, any advice?

+JMJ+

I wrote to the convent, as I was instructed to do, informing the superior that I still felt called to the religious life. I've been a little anxious (naturally) about the outcome of all this, and what she might say. When I look at myself, I get frustrated because I lose patience with myself and others, I'm nasty to others, and then I'm prideful for being upset with myself for falling! I know I'm a sinner and miserable, I should remember that with humility. I start to think things like, 'Look at how I act, and I'm pursuing the religious life?! What a fool! Don't be surprised when she rejects your request'. Or I ask myself questions such as 'Would God change my calling because of how I act?' or 'is this a sign I'm not called because of these situations?'

Maybe I'm just being stupid..

I'm stressed, uneducated and melancholic.. Anybody have any advise?

Thank you, God bless you!

Pray the rosary every day and ask The Blessed Mother for guidence and intercession for decernment. Pray all 3 mysteries if you can. It will bring you peace. PAX

[quote="Mary_Francesca, post:1, topic:270046"]
+JMJ+

I wrote to the convent, as I was instructed to do, informing the superior that I still felt called to the religious life. I've been a little anxious (naturally) about the outcome of all this, and what she might say. When I look at myself, I get frustrated because I lose patience with myself and others, I'm nasty to others, and then I'm prideful for being upset with myself for falling! I know I'm a sinner and miserable, I should remember that with humility. I start to think things like, 'Look at how I act, and I'm pursuing the religious life?! What a fool! Don't be surprised when she rejects your request'. Or I ask myself questions such as 'Would God change my calling because of how I act?' or 'is this a sign I'm not called because of these situations?'

[/quote]

One of my favourite quotes is "I have been all things unholy, if God can work through me He can work through anyone", from Saint Francis. No matter what our sins are, God can come to us and sanctify us.

Another thing to remember is people often think you have to be holy to enter religious life, which is totally untrue! You do not have to be holy to enter religious life. Religious life is a path to holiness - to enter already holy would be like being cured of a sickness and only then going to the doctor. As Christ said, "It is not those that are well who need the doctor, but the sick. I have come to call not the upright but sinners to repentance." [Luke 5:32]

[/quote]

Go volunteer someplace. Seriously, get busy with something outside of yourself. Or just go to the zoo.

Dear Truegrit,

Thanks for your advise , I do pray the daily rosary it brings me great peace :) Sometimes I forget to talk to Our Lady about my discernment and how silly that is because she is helping me ! Thank you for the reminder !!

Dear Perfect Timing,

You have no idea how much that has helped me out, I needed to hear those two quotes because they have really pushed me through. Thank you so much!

[quote="Mary_Francesca, post:6, topic:270046"]
Dear Perfect Timing,

You have no idea how much that has helped me out, I needed to hear those two quotes because they have really pushed me through. Thank you so much!

[/quote]

You are most welcome! Credit goes to the good Lord and to Saint Francis. :D

Dear Julia,

You are absolutely right! I know that is what I have to do . I am working on that one! My biggest downfall is how selfish, self centered I can be. Its something to work on, and can be accomplished by getting out and helping others rather then trying to fix myself. As soon as I get transportation and a plan that is what I am doing.. in the mean time... I want to go to the zoo! Thanks so much :)

I ask myself questions such as 'Would God change my calling because of how I act?

Well, the Church teaches that there are four vocations: Single, Married, Clergy, Religious.

Obviously clergy isn't for you. Therefore, you have 3 left. All equally valid, and with each you have equal facility to do both good or bad. One has to remember that the vocations themselves are not better or worse than another, it's what you DO with YOUR vocation.:thumbsup:

' or 'is this a sign I'm not called because of these situations?'

Now that sounds a bit scrupulous, doesn't it?:blush:

I will be praying for you (again).:p

Yes all credit to Our Lord and St. Francis! Before I post on this site I try to remember to ask God to bless what I say and what you guys tell me and boy does He! I admire those He has chosen :tiphat:

Lamentation,

Tis true, the reminder is helpful! I just hope I choose the right road and do right while I’m on it. This is where abandonment to Him is so important. If rely on myself I will fail.

Yes you are right that is a pretty scrupulous!! I got to get over this:rolleyes:

Thank you for your continued prayers you will be in mine!

This may sound a bit off the wall, but it does work if you do it diligently and often. Develope your own mantra(s) If you write it, see it and say it, it will become the new you. I suggest that you develope one mantra at a time. You can say: I am kind..or I am patient...or I am gentle..or I am meek and humble of heart. All of these are in keeping with the teachings of our Lord and you can affirm them by typing in key words such as Love. You will be taken to scripture(s) If you really feel called it is a good exercise in disipline. The more you practice, the better and more steadfast you will become. It will be like a prayer that will lead you to deep prayer and regard for your fellow man..family..friends...and you will surprise your self. This Does Not replace reg. prayers or devotions!

I almost forgot: Write, see and say your mantra at least 100 x's per day or as often as possible, and type your "key" words into your search box. Let me know how this works for you. It worked for me!

Would not ever advice wasting time with mantras!!!!

That certainly is not a traditional Catholic answer!

Yes, by all means increase your prayer life. Daily Mass if possible and regular adoration of your Beloved Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Live day to day. Each day is a new day.. What is God's will for you today?

Frequent confession, at least monthly.

If we were not sinners, we would not need Our Lord: it is the human condition.

Have no anxiety! (I have to tell myself that as well). TRUST in Jesus and Mary!

You will find your path.

Ave Maria!

It realy isn't a waste of time. Perhaps the word mantra does not suiit you and is the wrong word to use because it sounds a little like new age stuff. But how do you think we learn? Not everyone gets instant enlightenment on spiritual growth. It is simlply a form of repitition and self-affirment. How do you think you learned the rosary? Or other prayers? If it helps to remove bad conduct and errors, it is God given. Remember, I said it does not replace prayers and devotions. Be a little open minded here, please. Not everyone has had the benifit of good training and good habits and behavior and they must make an effort to "retrain themselves." "Judge not lest you be judged."

P. S. Please look up the word "mantra." It is not anti-catholic or anti- spiiritual. It is a verbal tool, " not to be confused with true Christian prayer. Thanks for you patience, because we use "mantras all the time without even knowing it. If I pray "Lord have mercy many, many times," some would call it a simple mantra. Again, I say, IT DOES NOT REPLACE PRAYERS OR DEVOTIONS.

+JMJ+

[/quote]

Yes. Such advice would be to read these writings by Father David Mary of the Franciscan Brothers Minor (There is also a Franciscan Sisters Minor. They, just like the Friars, have no academic requirements, and they have no age cut-off. You can literally be seventy with no high school diploma and enter, so long as you are capable): franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_III.html franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_VIII.html franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_X_-_Age_Discrimination.html And here is a link to the rest of his writings: franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_1.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.