Discover card only gives money to public schools

I don’t want to start at public vs. private school debate, but my blood boiled when I found out that Discover card was giving away $25,000 to “your favorite” public school, but would not consider a private school because many private schools are faith-based.

My children attend Catholic schools, but I am not against public education. I believe every family has the right to decide what is best for them, and I am a strong advocate of school vouchers.

What bothers me is that what Discover is doing, IMHO, is anti-religious institutions just because they are religious. Furthermore, wouldn’t it be better to donate the money to a school in need, regardless of whether it is public or private? Public schools receive money from the government. A Catholic school with students who need remedial help in a poor neighborhood may need the money a great deal more than a gifted program in an affluent public school. (just as an example)

On Discover’s Facebook page, people are writing in supporting Discover’s decision to exclude private schools and knocking people who choose to send their children to non-public schools. They are not people in desperation, but instead they are asking for money for additional computers, etc. I’m not against giving money to children in need no matter where they attend school, but I don’t want to see it go towards administrators salaries, etc.

If Discover said they were giving money to charity, but only to non-religious charities, wouldn’t that be discrimination? After all, religious charities do a lot of good and help people of all faiths.

Sorry to go on and on, but I just wanted to get this story out there. I guess Discover is free to spend their money however they like, and there’s not much that can be done about it, but it still made me furious.:mad: I contacted them and let them know how I felt anyway, and needless to say, I won’t be applying for a Discover card.

Interesting. I agree with you completely and my children all attend public school (special needs reasons).

I don’t use credit cards, but I will make sure that I never have a reason to use a Discover card!

It is their choice as a private company, who to give their money too. And it is not discrimination to give only to charities who are secular, since all charitable giving is voluntary (they don't have to give any money). If they are only giving to public schools and that is their goal, I find that acceptable. There is enough need in the public schools to meet their charitable giving budget limit. And not all private schools are faith based you know. There are charter schools or private schools that have moved away from any religious foundation, to become completely secular. So if they are not giving to any private schools, it is not just religious schools. So what is all the outrage about. :shrug:

So, you are upset because Discover-- a **private **company-- has decided to use their **own **money in charitable giving that doesn’t suit you.

[quote="jilly4ski, post:3, topic:235024"]
It is their choice as a private company, who to give their money too. And it is not discrimination to give only to charities who are secular, since all charitable giving is voluntary (they don't have to give any money). If they are only giving to public schools and that is their goal, I find that acceptable. There is enough need in the public schools to meet their charitable giving budget limit. And not all private schools are faith based you know. There are charter schools or private schools that have moved away from any religious foundation, to become completely secular. So if they are not giving to any private schools, it is not just religious schools. So what is all the outrage about. :shrug:

[/quote]

I have to agree. Discover has the right to give to whomever they choose in whatever manner they choose. If you're really concerned about a credit card company making charitable donations to private schools, then check out the Target Visa card (you don't have to use it just at Target). Target donates a certain percentage of your purchases to the school of YOUR choice. This includes private religious schools as well as public schools. My husband and I do this. (Oh, and we use the cash back bonus we get from Discover to buy Catholic school uniforms for our kids. ;) )

[quote="ChelleyD, post:5, topic:235024"]
I have to agree. Discover has the right to give to whomever they choose in whatever manner they choose. If you're really concerned about a credit card company making charitable donations to private schools, then check out the Target Visa card (you don't have to use it just at Target). Target donates a certain percentage of your purchases to the school of YOUR choice. This includes private religious schools as well as public schools. My husband and I do this. (Oh, and we use the cash back bonus we get from Discover to buy Catholic school uniforms for our kids. ;) )

[/quote]

The problem here is that Target is apparently discontinuing their Visa card (try to apply for one; in the end you'll find out that they're no longer accepting applications, regardless of what the people in the store tell you.)

I'm not actually against this. I think it's a good idea. The biggest growing demographic of privitized schools is moslem-oriented schools. While I think there is a good "to each their own" I have a very good friend from indonesia who escaped Moslem rule and persecution. My freshman roomate was from russia (then Bulgaria) who also was lucky becuase her parents chose America over Turkey 20 years ago when they were allowed to go anywhere in the world. Her cousins suffer grately under moslem rule...and it starts with the schools. I'm glad credit card companies are staying OUT of the private school donation business.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:7, topic:235024"]
I'm not actually against this. I think it's a good idea. The biggest growing demographic of privitized schools is moslem-oriented schools. While I think there is a good "to each their own" I have a very good friend from indonesia who escaped Moslem rule and persecution. My freshman roomate was from russia (then Bulgaria) who also was lucky becuase her parents chose America over Turkey 20 years ago when they were allowed to go anywhere in the world. Her cousins suffer grately under moslem rule...and it starts with the schools. I'm glad credit card companies are staying OUT of the private school donation business.

[/quote]

You bring up a good point that I hadn't thought of. The one thing that I can think of to counter that is Muslims (from my limited knowledge of Shariah) can't pay interest and therefore wouldn't have credit cards. With that in mind, would the credit card companies be asked to give money to a Muslim school.

Another thing that came to mind...there ARE publicly funded Muslim schools right here in the states. AND, many of the regular public schools are being forced (more and more) to allow Muslim students places and time to pray during the school day.

Now, I must say that I have no problem with Muslims, but I do have a big issue with Christians being discriminated against in public schools while Muslims are being afforded the accommodations.

[quote="Siochan_Leat, post:8, topic:235024"]
You bring up a good point that I hadn't thought of. The one thing that I can think of to counter that is Muslims (from my limited knowledge of Shariah) can't pay interest and therefore wouldn't have credit cards. With that in mind, would the credit card companies be asked to give money to a Muslim school.

Another thing that came to mind...there ARE publicly funded Muslim schools right here in the states. AND, many of the regular public schools are being forced (more and more) to allow Muslim students places and time to pray during the school day.

Now, I must say that I have no problem with Muslims, but I do have a big issue with Christians being discriminated against in public schools while Muslims are being afforded the accommodations.

[/quote]

:shrug:

I don't have a problem with prayer. I was allowed to be taken from public school during holy week and other holy days for services and was never peanalized for it. I was friends with a moslem girl in college and it was actually menatally uplifting to get away. She'd pray her stuff and I'd pray a rosary. Even though it was sometimes bothorsome and was quite rigirious...praying while she prayed was one of the best oppurtunities in my life.

They can pray all they want.

Mastercard is right for limiting where the funds can go, Catholics used to have a hold on private education, but they don't anymore. Besides Moslem schools, there are alot of wacky things happening in the religious world today. There are hindu schools, buddist schools, there are scientology schools, and wiccan schools. There are FLDS schools (could you immagine the scandal if the money went to support a cult??). There are amish schools....of course the Amish don't have credit cards, but in the Northeast they have alot of friends who might choose them as their school.

And that's just the schools with religious leanings. There are alot of experimental education schools and other privitized situations were $25k would be disasterous to many children's lives.

As bad as they can be, $25k in the hands of a public school will likely mean a big party and playground equiptment (if elementary) and band/sports equiptment (highschools). It is realtivly harmless.

As a home-educator (a.k.a home-schooling), we see a lot of institutions that exclude us from various benefits/contests/giveaways. Even though we still pay taxes to the local school district, we are not able to get much benefit from it. But that is our choice. As is the choice to send children to a parochial school rather than a public one.

I think it is preferable to not have the government or other companies and entities give grants or donations to the private schools (in Texas, home-educators are also considered a private school). The more someone else puts money into what you are doing, the more control and influence they have over what you do.

It is better that the primary income for private schools come from the parents of the children who send them. They are the ones who should have the influence over what gets taught, purchased, etc.

[quote="sturdy, post:1, topic:235024"]
I don't want to start at public vs. private school debate, but my blood boiled when I found out that Discover card was giving away $25,000 to "your favorite" public school, but would not consider a private school because many private schools are faith-based.

I contacted them and let them know how I felt anyway, and needless to say, I won't be applying for a Discover card.

[/quote]

if it is a private company they can donate their money to anyone they want
if you object do the only thing that makes sense, send your protest to the shareholders and don't use a discover card.

I will only add that a decision to benefit one group or organization does not necessarily imply a bias against all the other thousands of groups or organizations that were not recipients of their generosity.

Well, thanks for your input everyone. Have a good week.

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:235024"]
So, you are upset because Discover-- a private **company-- has decided to use their **own **money in charitable giving that doesn't suit **you.

[/quote]

Yes. However, it it their choice to give to whatever groups they want. They are giving away money to hockey players. I guess as a basketball mom, I can protest that they're not giving it to basketball playersalso, lol. I'd spend all my time protesting.

[quote="sturdy, post:1, topic:235024"]
...and needless to say, I won't be applying for a Discover card.

[/quote]

You aren't even a customer and you are ripping them on how they are using THEIR money??!!

The gall of some people. :rolleyes:

~Liza

All of these make a great point. It is Discover and their shareholders that decide where to give their charitable money to, or if to even give it at all. you cannot get mad at them for giving money to one organization and not to another that’s not your deicision. Now if you want to boycott them…cool, that is your decision. How would you feel if Discover told you…you can’t have a Discover Card, we are boycotting you for not donating to XYZ cause and donating to Catholic Charities instead.

[quote="sturdy, post:13, topic:235024"]
Yes. However, it it their choice to give to whatever groups they want. They are giving away money to hockey players. I guess as a basketball mom, I can protest that they're not giving it to basketball playersalso, lol. I'd spend all my time protesting.

[/quote]

HOCKEY RULES!!! ;)

Now if they put skates on the basketball players, shrunk the ball down to a little flat disk, and make them shoot baskets at a goal sitting on the ice using sticks, and have the goal be guarded by a goalie, you might have a sport! :thumbsup: j/k ;)

[quote="Catholic90, post:16, topic:235024"]
HOCKEY RULES!!! ;)

Now if they put skates on the basketball players, shrunk the ball down to a little flat disk, and make them shoot baskets at a goal sitting on the ice using sticks, and have the goal be guarded by a goalie, you might have a sport! :thumbsup: j/k ;)

[/quote]

LOL:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.