Discovered one godparent never confirmed...now what?

My family and I converted to Catholicism about two years ago. For two of my children, we already had Catholic godparents. So we simply called them to verify they were "officially Catholic" (my word- smile) and moved forward.

So in speaking with one child's Godmother recently, she mentioned how she never was confirmed (raised by a single mom who she said couldn't get them to the classes and it never got done). Her husband, who I have known for years, IS confirmed, but now I am wondering if my child's baptism is invalid? I know that one of my sponsors (I did a Profession of Faith since I was already baptized in a recognized way) is Catholic and the other is not, but as a married couple, this was okay. Is it the same with my daughter? I did some research and found that to be a Godparent, one must be baptized, but not sure if it matters that the Godmother really didn't meet the qualifications like she led me to believe. (Long story, but some other things that came up kind of make me think she knew when I asked that she wasn't "official" enough to be a godparent.)

No characteristic of the godparents can make the child's Baptism invalid. If someone stood up for your child as a sponsor, it is on them (or maybe on the priest who verified their suitability) since the requirement is that they be a Confirmed Catholic. It has no effect whatsoever on your child. Besides, only one sponsor is required and you've got that covered.

Don't give it another thought.

^^ :thumbsup:

Perhaps you could offer to be her sponsor for Confirmation, and invite her to complete her Confirmation at the earliest opportunity. Adult classes are often available in conjunction with RCIA. :)

[quote="jmcrae, post:3, topic:294138"]

Perhaps you could offer to be her sponsor for Confirmation, and invite her to complete her Confirmation at the earliest opportunity. Adult classes are often available in conjunction with RCIA. :)

[/quote]

This.

[quote="jmcrae, post:3, topic:294138"]

[/quote]

I like this idea! Unfortunately we no longer live in the same state. I am waiting to see if she actually will do it since we spoke about RCIA and which church had what schedules in her area. She recently had a child and apparently has been going to mass, etc. Sadly, I am starting to wonder if it's for show or if she really is going to go through it at all. :(

[quote="Corki, post:2, topic:294138"]
No characteristic of the godparents can make the child's Baptism invalid. If someone stood up for your child as a sponsor, it is on them (or maybe on the priest who verified their suitability) since the requirement is that they be a Confirmed Catholic. It has no effect whatsoever on your child. Besides, only one sponsor is required and you've got that covered.

Don't give it another thought.

[/quote]

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.