Discussing homosexuality

Continued:

The expectations of discrimination and homophobic rejection can also negatively affect gay men’s mental health (Hatzenbuehler, 2009; Meyer, 2003). For example, in an American study of gay men, those who perceived increased homophobia and the world as dangerous for gay men were more likely to report depressive symptoms (Hatzenbuehler, Nolen-Hoeksema, & Erickson, 2008). Concealment of one’s identity can be a strategy adopted by some gay men to ward off potential discrimination and violence (Herek, Chopp, & Strohl, 2007; Meyer, 2003). This strategy can be exhausting and has been reported to increase the risk of emotional distress among gay men (Cohen, Blasey, Taylor, Weiss, & Newman, 2016; Walch, Ngamake, Bovornusvakool, & Walker, 2016). With the persistence of antigay messaging, gay men can have difficulty accepting their sexual orientation and experience inner conflict (Körner et al., 2008; McAndrew & Warne, 2010). As a result, this can heighten internalized homophobia further contributing to the risk for depression (Feinstein, Goldfried, & Davila, 2012; Frost, Parsons, & Nanin, 2007). Self-acceptance is therefore a critical element for gay men’s well-being, as is being accepted by others (Ash & Mackereth, 2013).

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1557988316685492

I am making the assumption that you’re from Canada, please correct me if this isn’t the case. As a regular blood donor I was interested in this claim and I checked the Canadian blood donation site (https://blood.ca/en/hospitals/donation-testing) and it would seem to me that they still test all blood for such risks.

In terms of the assertion that homosexual = promiscuous, I would think a lot of this has to do with the long time society spent trying to stop homosexual couples from entering into legally binding, lawfully recognised unions. Marriage equality, and even civil unions, are still quite new after all. I’m also not convinced that correlation equals causation. It seems that the institutions that often support monogamy, such as churches, having been so virulently opposed to homosexuality means that this community hasn’t benefited from those teachings as much as it could have; to me this seems like more reason to offer up support.

I already mentioned in a different thread the need for sex education and sex safety which is often neglected in terms of homosexual sex.

Not everyone wants children, and not everyone wants their own biological children. I have to say if I found out I was infertile I doubt I’d care? Both of my parents were adopted, I know deep in my heart that it’s who raises you that matters.

Jealousy seems just as common in heterosexual couples as in homosexual ones, being the worry that ones partner may not be loyal. By the same token if you think most homosexual folk are not loyal then why would this even bother them?

Conversely as someone who isn’t heterosexual, and is often mistaken for gay (it’s fun how when you tell someone of the opposite sex that you don’t really find them attractive they assume it’s because you’re gay), I’d say it’s the level of abuse and harassment that’s far more upsetting.

As mentioned in another thread there is also a study showing that a lesbian household produces children that are even better adjusted than a heterosexual household. Now, I haven’t raised a child yet (though I am a teacher) but your assertion that you learn different things from different parents is only so true as the fact you learn different things from different people. My father taught me how to cook and clean, not because it’s innately manly but because he was good at it. My mother taught me how to read and remove lizards from the house, obviously these tasks were somehow aided by her having ovaries…?

I do not support homosexuality. If so, what will be our children or a new generation. How will they be able to uphold the family values that God has laid down since the creation of the world? Let’s not say that homosexuality is a norm. ewritinghelp/com I took here my writing tips/.

Interesting. Admittedly my sources are older I believe.

When considering such studies I always like to look at who conducted them so I’ll need some time to research the study.

Thank you.

There is still testing but not adequate to properly test for AIDS. It was recently changed because those particular tests were seen as discriminatory.

The website specifically lists HIV testing.

There was a huge uproar here when it happened. It was in the secular paper almost daily. They changed the tests and the timeline for the tests because they felt they were targeting those with high risk lifestyles. I don’t know enough about it to go into much more detail though so I’ll let this one go.

No worries. I’m intrigued as I’ve dealt with the Australian blood bank a fair bit and get interested in how other groups work, it looks like the testing is still there but it may have changed. I doubt they’d put people at risk, and HIV doesn’t just effect gay folks, so it wouldn’t make much sense.

giphy%20(8)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.