Discussion: Our Next Pope - What Will He Be Like?

One of the most fascinating pieces of information that I learned during the last Papal Conclave was that the Church picks a Pope by first making a profile of what the Church needs, and then it chooses a Pope based on which candidate most closely matches that profile.

For instance, when the world truly needed a theologian who would write on tough issues with great insight, clarity, and depth, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI was chosen for his strengths.

Ever since Pope Saint John Paul II, the “next pope” (insofar as his main duties/ persona) were predicted with great accuracy.

I am wondering if anyone has speculation on what the “Profile” of the next post may be.

NOTE: PLEASE keep this discussion kind, loving, and do not use this as an opportunity to bash our current/past Popes, or say anything like “The next Pope will have to undo the past work Pope ____.”

Very interesting, if this is the case.

We are going to be very much in need of this type of pope again.

I fervently pray that we won’t have to worry about this for many years!
I think a person that combines the awesomeness of St. John Paul, the academic prowess of Pope Emeritus Benedict with the charisma and love of humanity and joy of the Gospels of Papa Francis should be a fine assignment for the Holy Spirit during the next conclave.:rolleyes:

I think a young Pope would really revitalize the church. Notice I said “young” not modern. A young, dynamic, energetic AND traditional Pope, who could show that even though he is FROM the modern world he is not OF the modern world. Our Lord was a very young man when he did his ministry, as were his apostles, and in these very harsh, and fast moving, times a certain type of vibrant energy is needed to draw attention away from the shiny objects and devastation that surrounds us. :twocents:

I don’t know that I’d say the last two popes were predicted with great accuracy. Perhaps that could have been the case with Benedict, but not really with Francis. I don’t think anyone expected Francis.

I think it’s hard to predict what the “profile” will be in the future (and, of course, no human person could ever be all of what the Church needs). But there are some standards I don’t see going away. First and foremost is that he be holy.

There’s an old saying, something like “after a fat Pope, a skinny one” – suggesting that the Conclave, at least since the Council, has tended to choose, after one Pope, one who prioritizes very different things, and perhaps desires to attend to matters neglected under the previous Pontificate. So my suspicion is that the next Pope will be closer to Benedict than Francis, and moreso if the Synod goes badly this October.

That there’s a tall order, seems to me.

Saints above, isn’t it waaaay to early to be speculating about this? Is anyone that eager to see Pope Francis in his grave?

How did you come by such speculation about the proceedings of the conclave? :hmmm:

tee
Who sees no point in such speculations, except among Cardinal electors actually during a conclave. :twocents:

Well, he’s the one who apparently said he only has a short time left: “I try to think of my sins and my errors not to flatter myself because I know it won’t last long. Two or three years and then (makes a sound and gesture) up to the house of the of the Father.” (catholicnewsagency.com/news/full-transcript-of-popes-in-flight-interview-from-korea-96141/)

The next, and all subsequent Pope’s, will be exactly as God desire’s them to be!

God desires all people to be perfect, and we have had popes who were not perfect.

But perhaps you are speaking of God’s desire in another way.

I think that would be Jesus. :). I, like you, pray this decision will not have to be made for quite a while.

I think that was John Paul the Great. Some of us have forgotten, and some of us never knew, the strong dynamic person he was when elected pope. His greatest message was, “Do not be afraid.” Whatever happens we need to be guided by Jesus’ message of love and trust.

By the time someone is a Cardinal, they are invariably not biologically young.

As to our LORD, one could argue whether an age of 30 - 39 years really counts as “young,” but in the Church we have now, one cannot become a world-known name until well past that age.

ICXC NIKA

Some would prefer wisdom to youth. :slight_smile:

No, I wasn’t thinking of another way.

God desires all to be perfect, but he knows all are not…yet somehow he always makes lemonade out of lemons. Good, bad, or indifferent, all Popes have been, and all Popes will be, in somehow which might seem mysterious to us, just as He wanted them to be to serve the purpose He wants them to.

Throughout Sacred Scripture, in the unveiling of God’s Salvation Plan, God has revealed through the wicked, just as much as He has revealed through the righteous, His will.

Well it is certainly considered young in comparison with the age of most Popes and the higher ups in the Church. I realize that a Pope couldn’t be that young, but I was thinking pre-60s might be a start. There are a lot of very active and dynamic people in their late 40s and 50s.

I can think of a certain bishop from Kazakhstan who would fit that bill. He has time on his side, so who knows what the future will bring?

I don’t necessarily feel comfortable talking about the next pope while Francis is still alive and well on the throne of St. Peter.

However, when the day comes for the next pope to show himself exiting the conclave; I will definately remember what sw85 said:

There’s an old saying, something like “after a fat Pope, a skinny one” – suggesting that the Conclave, at least since the Council, has tended to choose, after one Pope, one who prioritizes very different things, and perhaps desires to attend to matters neglected under the previous Pontificate. So my suspicion is that the next Pope will be closer to Benedict than Francis, and moreso if the Synod goes badly this October.

It WILL be interesting to see what kind of pope follows Pope Francis… Time will tell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.