Disgusted by Yahoo Message Boards

Has anyone ever been to any of Yahoo’s message boards here? During the time when Pope John Paul II was sick and when he died, the forums for the news stories on Yahoo were filled with hateful, dusgusting comments about the Pope and the Church. Now, with news about Pope Benedict XVI, the forums on there continue to be filled with sickening comments about the Pope and the Church. Aren’t there moderators on thpse forums? I don’t even want to post a link to the actual forums here, but if you go to Yahoo news and see a story about the Pope, go down to the bottom of the article and click on “Discuss”, you can see the forums. But I warn you, it is very, very horrible. My question is: is there any way to get Yahoo to remove these hatefilled posts? This madness must be stopped.

There was one of those boards on ABCNEWS just after his death. I will tell you one thing. In a few weaks of being on there and just responding with kindness to those who lashed out at the Church while explaining the faith to those who were interested I think I did more good than any of my 6 years on internet message boards. Peoplse see through the hatred.

Blessings

Many of today’s posts on the Yahoo News Message Boards regarding Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul are truly demonic! This type of material is a clear violation of Yahoo’s terms of service for profanity, for bigotry, and for defamation of character. However, after following a number of links to make a complaint about violation of the terms of service, I ended up with the following: “As always, please feel free to post your own message offering a different point of view if you don’t agree with what you read on a Message Board.” So I suppose we are obligated to do just that, and I will.

I haven’t read any of the discussion forums you refer to, but I can imagine!

If anyone has ever subscribed to usenet, they will know that instead of being a place for Catholics to discuss Catholicism, it became a sewer of every kind of filth, literally a magnet for every kind of anti-Catholic from militant atheists to Wiccans-Pagans to Evangelicals & Fundies to Femi-Nazi’s with everything in between.

I advise everyone to avoid these unmoderated boards.

I am truly disgusted by some of the things said by these evil simple minded people!

Yahoo should really sort this abuse out as they are clearly not abiding by the rules of the board!:mad:

I found out how to file a complaint with Yahoo. It is actually simple. After opening a message, look for a link, “report abuse” in the upper right hand corner. The form is already filled out with details regarding the offensive message and you only need to add a couple of lines. I just reported three of the most egregious offenders.

LA Times, New York Times, Washington post, CNN, CBS News. And you’re concerned about the Yahoo Boards?

Be afraid, very afraid of what these ‘news’ agencies are doing to our country. The Yahoo Boards are just a reflection of our society, good or bad.:frowning:

[quote=Greg00]My question is: is there any way to get Yahoo to remove these hatefilled posts? This madness must be stopped.
[/quote]

At the top of each post there is a Report Abuse link that will allow you to do that. I have heard that it is not that effective and they are more likely to delete posts that are critical of the left and of the right.

A better tact would be to report the particularly vile ones (like threatening the President) to the FBI.

The yahoo message boards bring out the bottom feeders when it comes to posters on the internet. I sometimes read them just to see what the sub-humans there are saying.

PF

[quote=Malachi4U]LA Times, New York Times, Washington post, CNN, CBS News. And you’re concerned about the Yahoo Boards?

Be afraid, very afraid of what these ‘news’ agencies are doing to our country. The Yahoo Boards are just a reflection of our society, good or bad.:frowning:
[/quote]

I agree that there is biased and disgusting news everywhere we look. I am very happy to have this haven here at CA Forums where people discuss without swearing and sources are required for the most part. It cuts down on the bias.

rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=37&t=000464

Help? :eek: :crying:

I used to post to some of the Yahoo boards…I had a particularly interesting string of discussion regarding the man who was suing to prevent President Bush from having a prayer at his second inaugural. Even after I and about ten others had demonstrated that President Bush was simply exercising his constitutional rights, and had cited numerous passages from the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence, and the Federalist Papers, there were still some who were offended that President Bush might want to pray in public and on national TV.

The discussions on there get quite nasty…that’s why I’ve found a far more charitable place to post my opinions…:smiley:

-ACEGC

Are there no active moderators on these boards? I expect much more from Yahoo than this. You’d think that such a well established company would have stricter rules and mods. If the “report” button doesn’t work, than I don’t know what will.

Please remember that there are good and bad Yahoo sites. People make up the membership and many many are not Catholic.

[quote=Malachi4U] Be afraid, very afraid of what these ‘news’ agencies are doing to our country. The Yahoo Boards are just a reflection of our society, good or bad.:frowning:
[/quote]

Be not afraid! :slight_smile: The true Church will always be persecuted.

I don’t know why anyone would bother with yahoo message boards when there are so many decent ones out there.

This isn’t a Catholic thing; it’s a troll thing. Once in a great while I will check the message board after reading a Yahoo! article. It doesn’t matter what the subject matter there are always a bunch of posts by trolls. And normal people waste their time replying to such posts.

Around the time a young woman was kidnapped from a mall parking lot (her body was found several months later after the snow thawed) I checked out the Yahoo boards. I thought maybe some subjects were sacred. But no. There were a few posts along the lines of “she was too ugly to live,” “she deserved to get raped”, and “why do we care about this foreigner” (her last name Scandinavian, pretty common in the area she lived.)

With all the posts from trolls with disposable yahoo user names I don’t see how yahoo can keep this under control. Skip yahoo and other boards/forums like them. They seem to attract people with negative IQs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.