Disgusted with toronto

Today I turned on the television to watch the news and was soon completely disgusted with what I saw

They showed a group of kindergarten children preparing for “Gay Pride”. They even had all the children chant “Gay Pride”.

In the same hour they showed the mayor of Toronto raising a rainbow flag in front of city hall.

This almost made me sick.

This city is infested with wicked deviant devils! They have worked their evil magic on the young and changed the morality of this city in less than 25 years.

Anyway, these evils are really starting to piss me off. What makes me even more upset is that the Catholic Church doesn’t appear to be doing anything significant about it.

Sure I will hear the odd story of a priest saying that the prime Minster of Canada is doing the devils work, but for the most part opposition is controlled by the media. The media is very selective regarding what it tells people. It mostly uses such statements from priests for its own catholic bashing agenda.

I’m starting to feel as if the church is just ignoring this problem in North America. Does it not have a plan of action to defeat these evils?

We need direction here on how to stop this! It is getting out of control and nothing brave is being done about it.

If I was a priest down town I would get everyone I know out on the street and we would burn those rainbow flags right in front of the television cameras.

Where are the men of action in the catholic church today? I’m starting to think that north America is full of silent priests who talk about the cross of Christ but they don’t live it.

I don’t mean to offend any of the good priests out there I’m just sick of how the good ones are always made to look crazy on TV and there seems to be no support for them.

[quote=kev7]If I was a priest down town I would get everyone I know out on the street and we would burn those rainbow flags right in front of the television cameras.
[/quote]

I have a feeling this would not accomplish what you desired (and even that it would backfire).

But I share your lamentations and frustration.

Kev7, I feel for you. However, remember that those who practice abortion, birth-control and/or homosexuality aren’t having children in significant numbers. There are more dogs than children in San Francisco. The peoples that embrace sexual immorality will pass away and be replaced by others who value children. They’ll be replaced by immigrants or by Christian natives.

Rejoice that this evil generation is passing quickly away, though weep that so many are rushing to damnation. They have shown themselves unfit from a Darwinian perspective. "Demography is destiny’. We have already won.

My fear is that Europe will be majority Islamic in 20-30 years. Then they’ll turn their attention on the Americas.

As for the media, they automatically portray anyone who speaks against gay marriage as crazy. It’s in their style manuals. They’ve chosen sides.

At least the church that Christ founded is standing firm, though some bishops and priests have betrayed their oaths. The new pope will replace them as they go to early retirements.

At several places in Canada, Christians have been civilly or criminally charged and fined for public displays or readings of the Bible verses condemning homosexual acts.

Pennsylvania copied the Canadian legislation, so that last year a group of 11 Christians were arrested for “ethnic intimidation” for trying to preach the Bible to 33,000 homosexuals gathered in Philadelphia for a gay pride event. (The charges were eventually dismissed – but just the existence of the underlying law, the arrest of the Christians, and their ensuing prosecution, is alarming.)

We have had a few bishops speak out forcefully on this. An Alberta Bishop may be charged for human rights violations because he spoke against gay marriage. My own Bishop in Ottawa has written to the Prime Minister. We have had pro-marriage rally after pro-marriage rally. We’ve had tens of thousands of people show up. But the media ignores it. When the gay rights groups show up, the headlines are all front and center: “Dozens show up in support of gay marriage!” At least they can still count!

Here in Canada, we really see the “Tyrany of Relativism” that the pope mentioned.

I am seeing some changing attitudes though. Young people are coming out to the pro-marriage rallies in large numbers. We have many members of parliament firmly pro-marriage. (even on the liberal side) The catholic church seems to thrive in periods of oppression. Its like St. Paul said, “When I am weak, then I am strong.”

God Bless.

there is another thread here someplace protesting using small children to carry signs and shout slogans in anti-abortion protests.

I LOVE MY CITY…but I too am disgusted with this aspect of it…including the smog. Here is a letter I sent to the PM and to my local MP.

I have voted Liberal since I was old enough to vote. I am now 28 years old and recent events in politics have come to my attention.

Bill C-38, also known as the bill to redefine marriage to allow homosexual unions is a terrible idea, and tampers with the union that God made into a Sacrament. Marriage is sacred, Bill C-38 creates a culture of death (which promotes partnership without the ability to be “fruitful and to multiply” as God commanded) and is absolutely not acceptable to God (according to his word) and cannot be made acceptable in society. You will also open yourselves up to many other religious groups, specifically those who practice Polygamy (i.e. Islam accepts men to have many wives), who will no doubt argue for their rights as well (and since you proclaim to protect the minority, you really are shooting yourselves in the foot here).

I will NEVER vote liberal again if Bill C-38 is passed, and I will openly discourage anyone from voting liberal ever again. I am quite persuasive and have a lot of influence in the community, and will not hesitate to use it.

Please consider the following, and thanks for your time.

Scripture

Gen. 1 & 2 - we see from the beginning that the complimentarity of the sexes reflects God’s inner unity and His creative power and Fatherhood. God created man and woman to become one flesh which is consummated in the act of marital love.

Gen. 2:18 – throughout the creation story, God says “it is good” seven times. But when God pointed out that man was alone, God says “it is not good.” God then created woman. Man and woman therefore belong together by God’s design, according to His natural and supernatural law.

Gen. 2:24 – God created man and woman so that they could share communion. This communion is consummated in the marital act (which must be between a man and a woman). This communion is also a reflection of the eternal communion of the Blessed Trinity, who created man in His own image and likeness.

Gen. 19:24-28 - the Lord rained fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah as punishment for the sin of homosexuality. **Homosexuality perverts God’s covenant with humanity. **

Lev. 18:22, 29 - God commands a man never to lie with a male as with a female, or he will be cut off. This refers to supernatural death which is eternal separation from God.

Lev. 20:13 - God says that if a man lies with another man, he shall be put to death. Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered, unhealthy, and mortally sinful.

Matt. 19:6 - after referring to God’s divine plan for man and woman, Jesus says a husband and wife become one flesh, which ultimately reflects God’s union with humanity through the Church. Homosexual unions pervert this divine truth of God’s love for and union with the human race.

Rom. 1:26 - also, when a woman lies with another women, this is unnatural and a perversion. God wants His children to be pure and holy as He is holy.

Rom. 1:27 – Saint Paul calls the practice of homosexuality shameless, unnatural and a perversity. It is contrary to the natural law, as it eviscerates the life-giving aspect of human sexuality and reduces it to a selfish, pleasure-seeking end.

1 Cor. 6:9 - homosexuality is not part of God’s plan for His kingdom. Homosexuals are called to chastity. 1 Tim. 1:10 - sodomites are called ungodly and sinners, unholy and profane, lawless and disobedient. They are called by God to chastity. It is important to note that homosexual attractions and inclinations, while dangerous, are not by themselves sinful per se. It is the acting out on homosexual attraction that is sinful. Those with homosexual desires can still live a life worthy of Christ by remaining chaste and pure as they abstain from acting out on their desires.

Sound good? Not sure what my little voice would do, but I forwarded this to all my friends and asked that they do the same.

[quote=DavidFilmer]I have a feeling this would not accomplish what you desired (and even that it would backfire).

But I share your lamentations and frustration.
[/quote]

If every catholic was to do it at the same time it would send a clear message.

[quote=utunumsint]We have had a few bishops speak out forcefully on this. An Alberta Bishop may be charged for human rights violations because he spoke against gay marriage. My own Bishop in Ottawa has written to the Prime Minister. We have had pro-marriage rally after pro-marriage rally. We’ve had tens of thousands of people show up. But the media ignores it. When the gay rights groups show up, the headlines are all front and center: “Dozens show up in support of gay marriage!” At least they can still count!

Here in Canada, we really see the “Tyrany of Relativism” that the pope mentioned.

I am seeing some changing attitudes though. Young people are coming out to the pro-marriage rallies in large numbers. We have many members of parliament firmly pro-marriage. (even on the liberal side) The catholic church seems to thrive in periods of oppression. Its like St. Paul said, “When I am weak, then I am strong.”

God Bless.
[/quote]

Yes I agree, the catholic church survived the persecution roman empire and I’m sure it will survive today.

something needs to be done. We need larger protest here with people from all around the world.

[quote=Superstar905]I LOVE MY CITY…but I too am disgusted with this aspect of it…including the smog. Here is a letter I sent to the PM and to my local MP.

[/quote]

I won’t ever vote liberal again either. They only care about relativism.

it saddens me greatly to hear of the harm done to our youth of the world by training them to do the immoral at an age where they dont even have the faculty to self determine such a position. if the world were intelligent enough, they would see that a bunch of CHILDREN shouting a point isnt proof at all other than the very sacriligeous societal brainwashing that was accused to be taking part on the side of pro-hetero viewpoints. essentially, these people are forcing their unethical beliefs on children, then using the children as the cannon ball in a media ploy to guilt trip people into not voicing their counter opinion on the matter. i agree, action is needed, and soon.

We’ve had protests against gay marriage, thousands showed up IN FRONT of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa to protest against it. it was ignored COMPLETELY. NO mention at all except in the Catholic and other religious small press! I wanted to attend one march in Toronto myself but had to work.

Plus if you watch teh news the young Christians and Catholics they interview (children, no less) seem okay with gay marriage and have no clue about their faith and Catholicism at all. And I don’t blame them, my own Catholic school hardly taught us anything. We learnt more about tolerating other religions. We were fed garbage that the Bible had a bunch of exaggerated stories in the Old Testament. For projects many students tried to support abortion and homosexuality. I must have been the only one to pull out a Bible and actually submit an essay refuting homosexuality that went beyond the word limit we were allowed.

If I knew half the things I know now, especially about what makes Catholics Catholic, about Papal infalliability and the belief that the Holy Spirit guides the Church I would have certainly stood up and spoken out. We learnt nothing about Catholicism at our Catholic High School. In fact even in elementary school I was asked why I was so religious at my age or cared about it so much by other classmates. People simply don’t care from young and they don’t ever see a reason to. Our own schools are letting us down. there are too many morally relativistic people in there who couldn’t give a damn.

[quote=jdnation]my own Catholic school hardly taught us anything.
[/quote]

It is time for Catholic schools that are secular in nature to be shut down. They don’t make the Church money and they’re not spreading the faith. Let other people run secular private schools.

My CCD program in the 70s was awesomely useless. As I remember, we just did art projects, sang some songs, and heard that God is love. I find I still have gaps in my knowledge.

[quote=jdnation]We’ve had protests against gay marriage, thousands showed up IN FRONT of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa to protest against it. it was ignored COMPLETELY. NO mention at all except in the Catholic and other religious small press! I wanted to attend one march in Toronto myself but had to work.

Plus if you watch teh news the young Christians and Catholics they interview (children, no less) seem okay with gay marriage and have no clue about their faith and Catholicism at all. And I don’t blame them, my own Catholic school hardly taught us anything. We learnt more about tolerating other religions. We were fed garbage that the Bible had a bunch of exaggerated stories in the Old Testament. For projects many students tried to support abortion and homosexuality. I must have been the only one to pull out a Bible and actually submit an essay refuting homosexuality that went beyond the word limit we were allowed.

If I knew half the things I know now, especially about what makes Catholics Catholic, about Papal infalliability and the belief that the Holy Spirit guides the Church I would have certainly stood up and spoken out. We learnt nothing about Catholicism at our Catholic High School. In fact even in elementary school I was asked why I was so religious at my age or cared about it so much by other classmates. People simply don’t care from young and they don’t ever see a reason to. Our own schools are letting us down. there are too many morally relativistic people in there who couldn’t give a damn.
[/quote]

I have experienced the same thing. I found the religion classes to be a sham and a total disapointment. Infact I left the catholic school system in grade 11. They had nothing to teach me and all the high school class mates where simply rebelling against the church. All they did was debate issues and present the possition of the catholic church.

As a student I was looking forward to religion classes and I thought It would help me in my faith. I found out the hard way that the people instructing those classes had little faith to begin with. All the faith I have is based from my own experiences and from my father.

There are very few people who know how to inspire the youth with the catholic religion. The youth don’t want you to make religion seem cool. They want you to explain the faith and you had best be damn good at it too. Some of the religion teachers are not even catholic. The youth of today are pre programmed with ideas and concepts from the media. The youth first have to be un brainwashed before they can even begin to belive in Christ.

The catholic church as a powerfull system in place but they are failing to use it correctly. The catholic church can’t simply stand by and let this continue. Most kids who start highschool know nothing about their religion and that is because their parents don’t even take them to church. The church should assume that all highschool students need to be converted and reasured of their religion.

Religion class in catholic highschool is a sham. In fact I think it is doing more harm then good.

I think religion classes should be instructed by a priest or someone who has had sucess converting someone to the catholic faith. The problem is that even when a priest walks into a modern class room he is already not respected. He starts off with no respect at all.

If the catholic church wants to convert people go to the catholic schools! there is much work to be done.

In other words, take the log out of your own eye before you try to take the sliver out of your brothers. Fix the catholic schools!

[quote=kev7]Fix the catholic schools!
[/quote]

Agreed! My nephew is specifically educating himself to lead a youth group. I am helping him. So far to go, so much has been lost.

No, it is not easy to reach the youth. Even good explanations are not understood or are often rejected. The problems run deep and will not be overcome by a few protests (though protests do help).

[quote=kev7]The catholic church as a powerfull system in place but they are failing to use it correctly. The catholic church can’t simply stand by and let this continue.
[/quote]

I don’t think anyone aware of the problem is just standing by and letting it happen. Remember, the Church is not just priests and bishops. The good ones are greatly pained by the situation and overworked trying to do what is best. But you and I are the Church, too. What are you doing to help? Are you doing anything besides ranting, or is this your way of standing by?

[quote=kev7]Most kids who start highschool know nothing about their religion and that is because their parents don’t even take them to church.
[/quote]

This is where the problem starts, but unless you are their parents, this aspect of the problem won’t be fixed by you.

[quote=kev7]The church should assume that all highschool students need to be converted and reasured of their religion.
[/quote]

Students I know coming out of high school generally are not as well formed in their as they should be, but they are mostly eager for truth and well intentioned. (The indoctrination into relativism you cite above manipulates their good-will and sincerity.)

[quote=kev7]Religion class in catholic highschool is a sham. In fact I think it is doing more harm then good.

I think religion classes should be instructed by a priest or someone who has had sucess converting someone to the catholic faith. The problem is that even when a priest walks into a modern class room he is already not respected. He starts off with no respect at all.
[/quote]

If you know of an abundance of good priests or priest candidates, please inform your bishop!

[quote=kev7]If the catholic church wants to convert people go to the catholic schools! there is much work to be done.

In other words, take the log out of your own eye before you try to take the sliver out of your brothers. Fix the catholic schools!
[/quote]

This is truly excellent advice. I work in campus ministry and try to witness to the whole truth of the Gospel whenever I can. I am trying to do my part. Are you? Are you involved in your local parish and/or school? Are you ministering to the youth or at least supporting those who are? It is good you see the problem. Now you do something about it. You had better be praying, at least!

I don’t think that the problem lies in the schools alone. As my priest often says, “the education lies in the home, school, and parish.” (Though all three of these are under heavy assault in Canada.). Without these three things working together, one shouldn’t be surprised so many children aren’t indoctrinated. (I myself wasn’t taught what the Church was until grade ten, and only then because the teacher was orthodox. Since his class I’ve heavily indoctrinated myself.) Though I must heartily agree that the schools are not doing nearly enough, and I approached my school principal about this.

We must all work together as individuals to right the wrongs of society. The Catholic Church has a clear stance on homosexuality, but it’s up to us to take up that stance.

God bless.

I am looking forward to the day when the Church puts its foot down about some of the practices here in North America.

It’s so strange because when I read or watch the news, I feel very concerned that things are hopeless and the Church here will just morph into some strange, liberal, psuedo-Protestant entity, just at the moment I decided to come home to the RCC.

Then, on the other hand, I read the boards here and feel very encouraged because, although there are sometimes differing opinions on things or even a few horror-stories about abuses, in general it seems that there is a huge group of Catholics who post here that are interested in keeping the Cathloic Church true to its teachings.

But I would like to see some preventative actions on the Churches that are beginning to twist in the wind of relativism, before it is either too late or at least, very difficult, to undo the damage. My big fear is that some things that have erupted onto the Mass - things that were never done, but just appeared out of nowhere in very recent years like a cancer - I fear that some of those things will be given a pass and will continue. (I don’t want to mention specific examples as that may cause the thread to be hijacked into a debate. I think everyone can think of an example on their own of things like that.)

I am hopeful that with continued action by devout Catholics and our new Pope that the problems in North America can be addressed.

[quote=AuntMartha]I am looking forward to the day when the Church puts its foot down about some of the practices here in North America.

It’s so strange because when I read or watch the news, I feel very concerned that things are hopeless and the Church here will just morph into some strange, liberal, psuedo-Protestant entity, just at the moment I decided to come home to the RCC.

Then, on the other hand, I read the boards here and feel very encouraged because, although there are sometimes differing opinions on things or even a few horror-stories about abuses, in general it seems that there is a huge group of Catholics who post here that are interested in keeping the Cathloic Church true to its teachings.

But I would like to see some preventative actions on the Churches that are beginning to twist in the wind of relativism, before it is either too late or at least, very difficult, to undo the damage. My big fear is that some things that have erupted onto the Mass - things that were never done, but just appeared out of nowhere in very recent years like a cancer - I fear that some of those things will be given a pass and will continue. (I don’t want to mention specific examples as that may cause the thread to be hijacked into a debate. I think everyone can think of an example on their own of things like that.)

I am hopeful that with continued action by devout Catholics and our new Pope that the problems in North America can be addressed.
[/quote]

I agree with you!

Where is the direction from the church on these issues?. It is nice to label this or that as wrong, but if you don’t have a plan of action then nothing good will ever happen.

I’m waiting… if the pope instructed all religion teachers in north america to be tested on their faith then maybe something good would come of it.

I’m speaking from my own personal experiences. In general there are usually only one or two students in a religion class who know anything about their faith. In fact, most students have no faith at all.

No, sadly I do not minster to the youth. It would be a good thing if I did, but I just feel as if the church has to hold a lot of the responibility for these problems.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.