Disheartened Over CCCB's Revision Of A Revision With Canadian Catholics New English Translation Lectionary

Since 1983 Canadian English speaking Catholics have had to endure the awful travesty of listening to the Church readings and the Gospel proclaimed in the N.R.S.V. translation Lectionary.
Like many Canadian Catholics we had hoped that the Magisterium was going to step up to the plate and rectify the shortcomings and disobedience of the CCCB and I.C.E.L.
And Now ?
Another New N.R.S.V. revision with all it’s majestic glorification with Inclusive Language. In less than six months to a year Canadian Catholic’s will see a New revised Sacramentary on the Alter abridged to accompany this Lectionary. It would seem that Rome was not persuasive enough convincing the CCCB that their disobedience was in error. To the best of my knowledge the USCCB (‘do not’) use the N.R.S.V. Lectionary translation. At least my heart is happy for American Catholics. In the end of all this I am left in a state of melancholy with my own country. I feel as though Canadian Catholics have been handed a scourge. It does not mean I won’t continue to respect, love and pray for my priest’s, and bishops. It’s just something difficult to swallow.
I know a number of Canadian Priest who use the American Catholic Sacramentary and Lectionary when saying private Mass in their homes.

See: cccbpublications.ca/site/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,200/Itemid,53/vmcchk,1/

If you use the Novalis Sunday Missal or the Living With Christ you will already see the new translation. From where I sit, the greatest differences are with the Psalm refrains.

But at least this translation has Rome’s approval after many years of work.

My understanding is that the existing NRSV text was revised to conform to Liturgiam authenticam.

While I have not examined the texts in detail, I had the chance to glimpse through portions of it when I was in Hong Kong (the parish order the Novalis Sunday Missals which already printed the new Lectionary texts). Among the changes I remembered:

• “Greetings, favoured one” is now “Hail, full of grace”
  • “ancestor David” is now correctly rendered as “father David”
  • The adoptive text in Galatians, which in the original NRSV was massacred with “child” or “children” is now restored properly to “sons”.

Perhaps some Canadian reader would be able to give us more details of the changes made.

Despite the approval of the N.R.S.V. translation in the 1983 edition of Canon Law 825, the NRSV translation came about by a group of ecumenical National Council of Churches from different Protestant sects including Jewish input. The NRSV formerly lacks exclusive true Catholic character. The very nature of interpretations, the exclusion of pronouns and spare me the insult of contriving inclusive language and political correctness the NRSV belongs in a garbage heap.

But we haven’t yet extensively examined the revised translation. It’s supposed to be less inclusive, unless the original was directed at both men and women. Although the CCCB has made it seem as though the changes are minor, some who are familiar with the changes that have been made say they are quite extensive and major.

Although we’re still functioning with the old Lectionary and will continue to do so until the CCCB gives us the OK to all start using the new one at the same time, the Novalis Sunday Missal & Living With Christ already use the translation. The major differences I’ve noticed so far are with the responses to the Psalms. Just to avoid confusing the congregation, I’ve changed them in the Lectionary so that the responses match what people have in their Novalis publications.

Phemie;

I certainly hope what your saying that some of the translations changes being extensive. Still the minor improvement’s in it’s translation does not reflect a truly exclusive Catholic Lectionary.
Even the parlance from the 1966 Lectionary which was used up to 1981 from the Jerusalem bible was far better than we have today. The Novalis Sunday Missal booklet comes from St. Paul’s Catholic University in Ottawa which is known to be very liberal in it’s practices and publications. St. Paul’s attached seminary puts out the lowest number of Priest’s in Canada a year. Less than five in 2008. I own both the Canadian and American Catholic Sacramentary and Lectionary. You can definitively see a difference though there are common similarities the Canadian Lectionary being the worst. My apologies for ranting but I can’t help how I feel about this.

I know that Novalis WAS owned by St. Paul University, it’s now owned by Bayard Press.

As for their seminary, since it’s an Oblate Seminary, doesn’t that have an effect on how many priests it ordains? Not everyone wants to be a religious priest. But I know what you mean by ‘liberal’, I’ve taken courses there. They just made me more conservative. :smiley: The seminarians who took the classes with me were going to another seminary, since they were going to be secular priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.