Disney gator attack: 2-year-old boy found dead

cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/

**Lake Buena Vista, Florida (CNN)The 2-year-old boy who witnesses said was pulled by an alligator into a lagoon near a Walt Disney World hotel has been found dead by the Orange County dive team, Sheriff Jerry Demings said at a Wednesday news conference.

The body of the boy, Lane Graves, was found intact about 1:45 p.m., not far from where the boy was grabbed Tuesday night, Demings said. His body had only a few puncture wounds, according to a source familiar with the investigation.

He likely drowned, Demings said.

“Of course, the autopsy has to confirm that, but there is likely no question in my mind that the child was drowned by the alligator,” Demings said.

Demings said the body was found in 6 feet of murky water perhaps 10 to 15 yards from where the boy was attacked.**

This article continues at the link.

This is horrible! :frowning:

I can’t even imagine what his parents and sister are going through.

praying for this family and the soul of the departed.

This just breaks my heart.

Very sad …

I pray for the soul of this little boy.

This is indescribably horrendous. What can we do to help that family out, besides the usual keeping them in our prayers? Any thoughts?

Absolutely nothing at all, I fear; they’re wholly immersed in a private, family nightmare. But your heart is in the right place.

What were they all doing on the shores of a 'gator lake?
I really feel for the family and the boy but this could have been prevented.

They were on the property of their resort hotel, at an outdoor movie night on a beach next to the lake. There were “no swimming” signs next to the lake, but nothing warning about alligators. The family was from Nebraska. It doesn’t always occur to non-Floridians that pretty much any body of water could have a gator in it. To most people, and “no swimming” means something along the lines of “there’s no life guard on duty and we don’t want to deal with liability issues,” not “there could be monsters in the lake that will eat you.”

The kid waded a couple of feet into the water. Yeah, he probably shouldn’t have because of the signs, but again, he wasn’t actually swimming in it. And it’s not like he was unsupervised; his dad was close enough to go in after him and try to fight the alligator off.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Sad. :frowning:

The family is Catholic. seasonsofgrace.net/family-who-lost-their-toddler-to-an-alligator-is-identified-and-theyre-catholic/

Dear Lord Jesus Christ, surround this family with Your love and comfort,

Blessed Mother Mary, Pray for us!

Amen.

The family was watching a film outdoors at the resort and it was dark. The dad was with the boy as he was wading in the man made lagoon. I am sure there were signs warning of gators, but they could not be seen.

I was at Disney last year. Stayed offsite and even that non Disney resort had warning signs posted about alligators near their small man made ponds, etc.

The best we can do is pray for this family in their time of grief.

Praying for the repose of this child’s soul & for his family.

Poor family and poor little boy. I can’t imagine the horror and shock.

No one expects to go on vacation at a resort and expect this horrific event to happen.

I’ve been to Disney a handful of times. I’ve seen alligator warning signs around Orlando. I always assumed that the waters around Disney were alligator proof somehow. I figured they were big enough to keep out by way of barriers in the water etc.

I guess I was wrong.

Yes. People who aren’t from the Deep South tend not to think about alligators. Or they might assume that Disney is somehow alligator-proof (it’s not – gators can climb fences if so inclined!)

What a horrific tragedy. Praying for this family as they grieve their terrible loss. :frowning:

How horrendous. Praying for the little boy’s soul and for the family. As a father of a 3 year old boy, I can’t even imagine…

I recall a relative living in Florida saying she walked out into her back yard and was suddenly confronted by a large alligator. She called animal control or whatever, and they came and got it. But she nearly walked, inadvertently, into its strike range, or perhaps did and it just didn’t choose to strike.

I understand protecting endangered species. What I fail to understand is preferring them over people. Would hunting them out of populated areas be too great a burden for a society? Long ago they were hunted without limitation and they still survived as a species. What, I wonder, is the reason their presence in populated areas is tolerated?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.