Disney/Pixar and Planned Parenthood

Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that Disney and Pixar give money to Planned Parenthood. Is this true? Because I’m an animator and I love the work both studios create. But I’m just shattered to hear they support a murder factory. Now I have some doubts to consider working there (even though that’s a reeeaalllyy long shot, its always been my dream job).

It's probably true. Many organizations fund PP, which is again astonishing because this is an organization that provides substantial (tens of millions) funds to Democratic candidates, and still manages to operate at a profit (look at the recent statements in their annual report, for example).

Whatever company you work for will probably do some things you're opposed to. For example, my division sponsors teachers in Teach for America - the head of my unit within the division REFUSES to support any of the company's efforts for TFA because, he argues, TFA hurts teachers and gives poor districts a cop-out for not advancing permanent teachers. In terms of external funding and philanthropy, you need to arrive at a bright line with an employer - if the employer requires that everyone participate in a fundraising drive, that may be a deal-breaker and be ready to live by that. If it's a matter of passing around the hat, just let the hat pass. You may even be able to enact some positive change by getting your workplace to support causes you DO believe in, perhaps while others are giving spare change to PP, you're out at a maternity home or domestic abuse shelter doing repair work.

Thanks for the reply. So how do people know they support pp? Was there any statement or documentation from them?

[quote="Chabambou, post:3, topic:330965"]
Thanks for the reply. So how do people know they support pp? Was there any statement or documentation from them?

[/quote]

I have never seen any evidence that the Disney Corporation in fact supports PP. There is at least one organization that sells a list of firms supposedly supporting PP. My understanding is that if even a single local office of one company is found to have participated in some local funding or donation to PP, then the entire national corporation is categorized as a supporter. Similarly, federal law mandates uniform rules for firms with matching gift programs. If an employee chooses a tax-qualified charity, the firm has to match the gift. This, too, causes a firm to end up on the " supporting PP" list. I have read that one Disney office in Florida did make a contribution to PP for a specific local education program some years ago. I believe that the "big" Disney Corporation has denied that it in fact supports PP.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:4, topic:330965"]
p I believe that the "big" Disney Corporation has denied that it in fact supports PP.

[/quote]

Did that happen recently?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.