Disney selling Joy Division-inspired T-shirts

Not a joke. True story.

(For those who don’t know who Joy Divison are/were, they’re the post-punk band best known for songs like “Love Will Tear Us Apart” and “She’s Lost Control.” This Disney deal is just wrong in so many ways.) :frowning:

The only thing I see as being potentially wrong with it is the lack of discussion with or permission from the remaining band members.

But it is entirely possible that they have no rights over the cover art.

And if they don’t, then whoever does have those rights has no obligation to discuss it with them. That’s one of the risks you take if you sell or give such rights to a third party. :shrug:

… whut?

I click your link and all I see is an image of some sound-wave visual thingy that look like it went through a Mickey Mouse cookie cutter. My Hong Kong Disneyland dragon shirt is soooo much more epic. :rolleyes:

That “sound-wave visual thingy” was swiped from their album cover art.

And this is wrong… how? Honestly, it doesn’t matter if that was swiped from some band’s cover art. The image alone could look like anything from a mountain range, sound-visual, or an earthquake intensity reading. :ehh:

As a Joy Division fan, facepalm

Lol. I listened to Joy Division in high school. I wasn’t a morose kid or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a little disturbing, I guess. But not nearly as much as Nickelodeon hiring Jhonen Vasquez to make a kids’ show. Yikes.

Yup. :slight_smile:

I would think that copyright law does not protect from mimicing an art style. Is that an incorrect assumption?

I would agree with that. Otherwise parody would be illegal.

Very true. Weird Al would be in a whole heap of trouble. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe the cover art was lifted from another source, so Joy Division does not actually own it. I don’t get why Disney is doing this - I didn’t think Joy Division was popular with the Disney audience! I like Joy Division and I like Disney, but I do not see the connection. :confused:

Disney is bigger so can steal other peoples’ ideas but try to steal Mickey (that is his copyright is extended every 20 years) and you’ll get sued into oblivion, unless you have more money that is.

Didn’t Disney steal character designs from the Japanese film Kimba the White Lion for Lion King?

Well to be fair, the anime style is pretty much a direct descendant from Disney. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wasn’t talking about animation and cartoons. I was talking about the copying of specifics. You should look at the comparisons between Kimba and Lion King on the web.

And I wouldn’t put it past Disney, the perpetual copyright extension boys.
It’s also not the first time big corporations stole intellectual property for profit:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight

Meh, you have a fair point I suppose. However, I watched both Kimba and The Lion King during my childhood. I saw some similarities but I always felt that Kimba was relatively darker.

I might change my mind if I saw it again (and if I had the time). :o

Until they are teenagers, kids listen to the music mom and dad like. Mom and dad spend the money, so, of COURSE marketing people are going to target the popular culture hooks attached to the wallet of people in the age group demographic they are after.

:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.