Disney Threatens to Boycott Georgia If Governor Signs Anti-Gay Bill

From The Hollywood Reporter:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-threatens-boycott-georgia-governor-877659

Ed

Disney has completely lost whatever moral compass they once might have possessed. Even Disney movies and shows can no longer be trusted, especially for kids.

The NFL has also threatened the state as well. They’ve said they may pull the Super Bowl from the state. The NFL better be careful, because there aren’t many states that can host a huge football game in February on a regular basis.

I suspect it would be a wash for Georgia. The tax incentives and credits they give Disney to film there probably outweigh the economic activity filming the movies generates.

I support Disney.

This bill and many similar bills working their way through the system in other states serve no purpose other than to discriminate.

We have a first amendment. Churches aren’t forced to do anything already. And since when has anyone been “forced to attend” a wedding of a same sex couple? Hogwash.

And no, cases like the bakers or florists don’t apply. Those are separate issues that worked out in the favor of proponents to LGBT rights because of existing laws regarding businesses open to the public. The religious beliefs of the business owner are is their private business, not the business of the customer. Even still, if anyone wants that to be addressed, then focus on THOSE laws.

This law serves absolutely no purpose other than to discriminate and I’d be surprised if it survives. Similar bills have failed as well.

Years ago the Southern Baptist Convention and the Georgia Baptist Convention voted to boycott Disney over gay day at Disney. Disney ignored it and the boycott had little effect as I recall. It just died a quiet death.

I have to wonder if this isn’t a bit of Tit for Tat on the part of Disney.

From the article, quoting HRC President, Chad Griffin:

"It’s an affront on all the values Hollywood prides itself on.”

Hollywood does not appear to care about values. It’s record of producing dysfunctional cartoons, TV programs and movies speaks for itself. If anything, it is committed to producing more objectionable content.

Ed

Disney has always been pro-gay rights and a very gay friendly company to work for. The American Family Association has been boycotting them since the 90’s when they offered domestic partner benefits to same sex couples. Disney has been doing just fine.

Years ago, I recall watching a video where a spokesman said, “This is no longer Mr. Disney’s company.” It has turned its back on a rich heritage and legacy left behind after Walt Disney passed. I am not aware of anyone attending a movie theater or Disney theme park being asked about their sexual orientation. The Human Rights Campaign shows how an outside, private group can pass along its version of reality to Hollywood and do so very vocally, and with effect.

Ed

I don’t think it is. Disney isn’t alone. And Disney Gay day has been going on for about 25 years.

I’d think any and every company evolves to something different than what it’s creators had initially made it. This isn’t Bill’s Microsoft, this isn’t Jobs’s Apple, This isn’t Edison’s General Electric, This isn’t Henry’s Ford, …

I have to disagree (big surprise!) By not wanting gay individuals to be discriminated against, Disney shows far more courage than those who talk a great game of equal rights for all, yet do nothing to support marriage equality or say anything negative about homophobes.:shrug:

I believe the NFL has made a similar ultimatum to Georgia.

A legacy that includes: Sunflower the pickaninny servant centaur in Fantasia, the entire movie Song of the South, no drink’um firewater Natives singing “what makes the red man red” in Peter Pan, jive talking crows - of which one was literally named Jim Crow - in Dumbo, slanty-eyed Asian characters in Lady and the Tramp and The Aristocats - complete with (rude term for an immigrant) “me so solly” engrish, the caracaturing of an entire people in the opening of Aladin, and ghetto soldier hyenas in The Lion King. Of course, the last two are post-Disney.

But that’s just the feature films I can remember off the top of my head. I’m not even going into the depictions of Arabs, Asians, Jews, and Africans in Disney Era shorts that were even more blatant and deplorable.

Perhaps it’s fair to dismiss these as products of their time. I don’t think there is an excuse on those grounds. Or else we’really saying horrible hateful attitudes are acceptable in a horrible and hateful climate. But even if we DO excuse it on those grounds, it’s still indicative of Disney’s legacy. One that’s not so rose-colored. I am glad that Disney is opening up and trying to provide entertainment for classes that history hasn’t been kind to.

An ANTI-GAY bill?
Where are we, Russia?

Good for Disney.

I don’t understand the supporters for this.
If you are religious and you don’t want to be fired from your job because your beliefs are different from others…why would you want to put others at risk for the same thing?
Would you think it’s okay to be fired because you are Catholic? And because you follow the Catholic doctrines?

In the bill:

…such organizations can’t be forced to “hire or retain as an employee any person whose religious beliefs or practices or lack of either are not in accord with the faith-based organizations sincerely held religious belief.”

The bill is not anti-gay, it exists to prevent religious individuals from being forced to participate in things that are contrary to their beliefs. Similar bills have been passed in several states, and none of them have resulted in unjust discrimination. What they have done is prevent homosexuals from suing people who won’t participate in their “weddings”… despite the fact that none of them were denied access to anything, only told that one particular provider couldn’t help them.

This bill protects religious employers from being forced to retain employees who live lifestyles contrary to their stated beliefs. You wouldn’t expect an atheist organization to hire people who spend their off hours promoting religion; why should religious employers be forced to employee people who spend their off hours rejecting or even actively working against their faith?

Freedom of religion trumps “freedom of sexual license.”

Good points. However, regarding the article, why is Hate always assumed? Why is Hate always included when a special interest group does not get their way? I don’t agree with you automatically means I hate you? Think about it. Civil dialogue between two groups is what solves problems, but labeling opposing groups with the automatic judgment that hate is a primary motivator is just plain wrong.

Individuals may hate individuals but “they’re all like that” thinking is just like the stereotypes you mention.

Ed

The Georgia legislature has sent a religious liberty bill to the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, who has until May 3 to decide whether or not to sign it. The bill, officially titled the Free Exercise Protection Act, says no minister can be forced to perform a same-sex marriage and no individual can be force to attend one — provisions, which critics point out, are already guaranteed by the First Amendment. It then goes on to say no faith-based organization “shall be required to provide social, educational or charitable services that violate such faith-based organizations’ sincerely held religious belief” and that such organizations can’t be forced to “hire or retain as an employee any person whose religious beliefs or practices or lack of either are not in accord with the faith-based organizations sincerely held religious belief.” And it further says government can’t “substantially burden” a person’s exercise of religion unless it involves “a compelling government interest” — thereby extending its protections to individuals.

What on earth is wrong with that? So it means an end to florists and bakers being find for not assisting gay “weddings”. And? Its not like they can’t get their flowers and cakes somewhere else. Why should people be forced to do something which is against their conscience? Why should people be forced to accept values that they do not accept? I’m with Georgia and its righteous and holy legislature. May God go with Governor Deal as he considers this important legislation.

Evil always preaches tolerance until it is in power, then works to destroy good, because the very presence of good is a reminder to evil that it is…(Abp Charles Chaput).

This bill is simply to prevent Christians being forced to participate in immorality. Nothing to do with discriminating against anyone. Just protecting people’s rights as enumerated in the Constitution.

Comparisons are usually unfair and not one to one. I’ve lived through a few company cultures. Since I work at a company that produces creative fiction, we have standards, just as TV stations had “Standards and Practices Departments.” Growing up in the 1960s, this included all programs on TV regardless of the source. A man would appear to tell us that “We watch all the TV programs you watch to make sure they are suitable for the entire family.” So, Disney and whoever else, fell under the same umbrella. I think it would be fair to say that in the case of any company that produced films or TV shows that fell outside their guidelines would be excluded from the air.

As I quoted earlier, a direct comment was made about Hollywood upholding its values. The person saying that was talking to and about present-day Hollywood as a group, not just Disney. I question whether those businesses in or near Hollywood are immoral or just amoral. Not caring about values and in too many cases, knowingly pursuing values that are negative in general. Hollywood, including Disney, is producing immoral and dysfunctional movies and TV programs.

Anyone who takes the time to look over the movies and TV shows that ran over the last four decades will easily be able to see the trend toward what I describe getting worse as time passed regardless of who was in charge of any Hollywood studio or production company.

Ed

Evil always preaches tolerance until it is in power, then works to destroy good, because the very presence of good is a reminder to evil that it is…(Abp Charles Chaput).

This bill is simply to prevent Christians being forced to participate in immorality. Nothing to do with discriminating against anyone. Just protecting people’s rights as enumerated in the Constitution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.