Disneycember!

That Guy With The Glasses has devoted the entire month of December to Disney cartoons! He's doing three short videos every day that he's not doing Nostalgia Critic videos. I was wondering if anyone here is watching any of them. He's currently up to The Black Cauldron (ugh!), The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver and Company.
you can find them here. Scroll down to Sketches/Specials.
In the meantime, let's also share some Disney memories. What's your favorite:
1. Classic Disney movie?
2. Classic Disney song?
For me, favorite Disney movie would be Pinocchio or Fantasia. Favorite song is a bit harder, but I guess "Second Star to the Right" from Peter Pan ranks pretty high.

I think my favorite is "Fantasia" followed by Peter Pan, and my favorite song is "Some day my Prince will come" from Cinderella.

Don't think many of the new Disney movies can hold a candle to the older ones. Most are getting disgustingly pc.

Movie: Cinderella *- classic fairy tale
Song: "Be Our Guest" from *Beauty and the Beast
- great modern adaptation of a classic fairy tale before Disney collapsed under it's own weight (that, and it's catchy lol)

[quote="rocklobster, post:1, topic:266923"]
That Guy With The Glasses has devoted the entire month of December to Disney cartoons! He's doing three short videos every day that he's not doing Nostalgia Critic videos. I was wondering if anyone here is watching any of them. He's currently up to The Black Cauldron (ugh!), The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver and Company.
you can find them here. Scroll down to Sketches/Specials.

[/quote]

I've been watching that. I've wanted to see (or even do) something like this ever since I saw an extra on the Tangled DVD that had 2-3 second clips of all fifty Disney animated movies. It's amazing how many Disney movies I didn't know existed, didn't know were movies or simply forgot about, and I like having someone go through all of them quickly to remind me of what I liked or give me ideas of would like to seen. It's fun, but I am disappointed that for half of the films so far Doug's conclusion had been that they were either underdeveloped or too cutesy. Not that that isn't a legitimate opinion, but it gets a bit repetitive.

Coincidently, SQPN started it's own run through of Disney films last month. Because of the format (an hour-long weekly podcast instead of three short, daily videos) The Secrets of Disney (as it is called) is able to go into a lot more depth, not only with stories and characters, but also with symbols and history. As of last week, Fr. Roderick and his co-hosts have only gotten to Pinocchio, but as they go on, I will be interested to see how their opinions on what they do look at (some films, like Melody Time might not lend themselves to the format) compare to Doug's views.

In the meantime, let's also share some Disney memories. What's your favorite:
1. Classic Disney movie?
2. Classic Disney song?
For me, favorite Disney movie would be Pinocchio or Fantasia. Favorite song is a bit harder, but I guess "Second Star to the Right" from Peter Pan ranks pretty high.

My favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast and my favorite song is from that movie. Although the computer animation in the ballroom scene is still breathtaking twenty years later and because of that I was tempted to pick Beauty and the Beast as my favorite song, Gaston makes me smile the way no other Disney song does.

Fantasia is beautiful - saw the whole thing for the first tine recently and was really struck by the use of 'Ave Maria' as the final song.

Favorite (funniest) song is 'Hakuna Matata' from 'Lion King', favorite (sentimental) song would probably be 'When You Wish Upon A Star' from Pinocchio.

[quote="LilyM, post:5, topic:266923"]
Fantasia is beautiful - saw the whole thing for the first tine recently and was really struck by the use of 'Ave Maria' as the final song.

Favorite (funniest) song is 'Hakuna Matata' from 'Lion King', favorite (sentimental) song would probably be 'When You Wish Upon A Star' from Pinocchio.

[/quote]

Spent many a night with each of my kids falling asleep in my arms watching Fantasia over the years. I thought they did a good job with Fantasia 2000 as well.

Favorite song? Depands what mood I'm in. 'Kiss the Girl' from Little Mermaid' 'The Bear Necessities' from Jungle Book, too many to list

Hmm, my favorite classic disney movie is either The Great Mouse Detective, or Sword in the Stone (TGMD was my favorite for a while as a child, but SS is a new favorite since I read The Once and Future King).

Song, wow that's tough. From a classic movie, "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty.

I think the earliest Disney movie I saw in theaters was Fox and the Hound.
What about the rest of you?

[quote="rocklobster, post:8, topic:266923"]
I think the earliest Disney movie I saw in theaters was Fox and the Hound.
What about the rest of you?

[/quote]

I am a young-en (and had lots of siblings so we didn't get to see many movies in the theaters) so the first one I saw was the Lion King for a birthday party. I don't think I saw anymore until some really recent ones. But mom always purchased the movies for us as a family gift for Christmas, so we had all the feature length films except for the Black Caldron.
(Some of my older siblings got to see Sleeping Beauty in theaters, but it must have been a re-release because they are not that old :p).

I forgot about Lion King AND Mary Poppins. That was a great movie because it combined animation with live acting. And who can remember "Supercalifragilisticsuper----(can't spell it ) or "A Spoonful of Sugar". Still enjoy watching this from time to time.

You can sort of tell the movies that were produced when Walt was alive and compare them with the more recent ones, not that some were good like "Beauty and the Beast", Lion King, and Little Mermaid.

Disney Movie: The Lion King. I like Tarzan more actually but I'm not sure if it counts as a Disney Classic.
Disney Song: Out There sung by Tom Hulce in The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Up is one of the few animation films that I've enjoyed lately. Even though it's not a Disney classic and it's more of a Pixar film.

Disney Movie: Sleeping Beauty
Disney Song: "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" (Cinderella)

Honorable Mention: The Aristocats and "Scales and Arpeggios"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.