Disobeyed parents, concerned I mortally sinned

I was cleaning out my room and found an old BB gun. I decided to shoot it at a shirt in my closet to make sure it wasn’t loaded. I reasoned it probably wasn’t loaded (and I was right), but I’d assume my parents wouldn’t have approved of that. I think they were actually fine with it, but at the time I thought they were not, so I’m assuming that’s what matters. The shirt in question was probably around $12.
I enter the Church tonight, so I need to be in a state of grace. However, I already went to confession today, and am somewhat scrupulous. What should I do?

Not mortal content whatsoever. It is a venial sin AT THE WORST (I doubt it is a sin at all) and you shouldn’t think twice about it.

Don’t worry; your soul is clean; and welcome to the Church!!!

P.S. On a side note, it probably wasn’t a very good idea to “shoot the gun to see if it’s loaded.” In general, when dealing with guns of any type, real or not, that is not safe due to chances of a ricochet or other reasons. If you need to see if it’s loaded, take out the magazine, shake out the gun, and if possible, open the lock to see if a round is inside.

This, however, has nothing to do with sin; it was just a side note on gun safety. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks.

On a side note, it probably wasn’t a very good idea to "shoot the gun to see if it’s loaded.

I know that’s normally a bad idea, but this is a BB gun that doesn’t even go through 2 sheets of paper, so the shirt+wall behind it would have stopped it.

Well, if it won’t go through two sheets of paper, I guess that’s all right. :D:D

What is that; 20-50 fps?

So basically it’s a toy gun?

Nothing wrong with playing with toys. You’ve got nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on entering the Church tonight!!! :blessyou:

In the future, when you know your parents wouldn’t approve, think about if you still really want to do whatever it is.

On a side note, my dad use to show me the spot in my grandmother’s kitchen floor which use to be a hole, a hole shot there by my grandfather in the 1940s with his empty gun. My dad was so strict with gun safety we were never allowed to point a toy gun at anyone and that was in the 1960’s.

BB guns can cause harm, too. My friend tells a story about a young girl who was injured in the eye when he shot his BB gun.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.