Dispensation of Celibacy for Latin Rite - Canon Law question

I was just wonder since Latin rites are not allowed to become priest while married, do any bishops have the authority to give a dispensation for married men to seek out the priesthood that have been Catholic for enough years to be expected to know the discipline?

Thanks for your replies, StillWondering.

Dispensation that would permit a married man of the Latin Church to be ordained to the priesthood is reserved to the Holy See and beyond the scope of a bishop. The Holy has exercised that authority in the case of the Pastoral Provision but that involves certain conditions, chief of which involves conversion of a married minister from another Church or ecclesial community not in union with the Catholic Church.

Thank you John,

I take it that while the Holy See may give the dispensation, the Holy See do not, or have not, given a dispensation for practicing Latin Rite Catholics, only those that have recently converted.

You’re really asking 2 separate questions:

1. Does the Holy See have the authority to allow a married man to be ordained?

Yes. See Canon Law below:

Can. 1042 The following are simply impeded from receiving orders:

1/ a man who has a wife, unless he is legitimately destined to the permanent diaconate

Can. 1047 §2. Dispensation from the following irregularities and impediments to receive orders is also reserved to the Apostolic See:

3/ the impediment mentioned in ⇒ can. 1042, n. 1.

1. Is this authority ever exercised?

Yes, under certain conditions which have already been covered.
No, if the cases you mean are e.g. a lifelong Latin Rite Catholic, a lay convert, a ministerial convert who was not married at the time of conversion etc.

hth

Thank you Batfink and John Cameron.

Both answers really help me personally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.