Disposing of Blessed Items

My parish recently burned a large quantity of vestments (beyond repair). Once burned, what should be done with the ashes?

Are they to be buried in the ground or is it acceptable to dispose of them in the trash?

[quote="CatholicCid, post:1, topic:295184"]
My parish recently burned a large quantity of vestments (beyond repair). Once burned, what should be done with the ashes?

Are they to be buried in the ground or is it acceptable to dispose of them in the trash?

[/quote]

I have been taught never to throw away anything blessed,especially not in the trash?.My old scapulars,rosary beads,etc,are all put in a box(stored)or buried.That's just what I've been taught.

[/quote]

Buried.

[/quote]

Isn't this something the priest should know how to do? :confused:

Our church has a basket where no longer used religious items may be placed and taken by those who fancy them.

Another suggestion is to encourage parishoners to bring articles that may be re-issued. Although they should not be re-sold having been blessed, I certainly don't see anything wrong with asking for a donation equal to the value of the article for Church needs. Win-win situation.

It is legit to burn/bury the items. I would think the leftover ashes from such a fire would be buried.

Once a blessed item is broken or burnt, it is no longer blessed. I'm sure your priest knows better than any of us how to handle it. ;)

Yes I agree, burned then buried. Actually, I think we can work them into the ground, I do this with my previous years palms. Burn then scatter in my garden and scratch them into the earth. It is sort of return to creation. or Re=creation - God is in charge of that!

I think you bury the ashes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.