Disposing of Religious Images?

Hoping this is the place for this thread.
I’m sure we all get mailings, etc. from religious organizations - particularly, come Christmas time. But this question relates to all year. What do you do with religious images (i.e. cards, holy pictures, etc.) that you don’t need? I was taught they should be burned (but I think that’s if they are blessed). However, even when not blessed, I have a difficult time just tossing them in garbage, and Churches just don’t want you to put things in back anymore. They’re often removed before people have the opportunity to take them. I’ve recently begun shredding holy pics / images that aren’t blessed, so that they go into paper recycling - but am still wondering - am I doing the right thing - the respectful thing?

What do you all do?

if you can’t find somebody that can use these things, like your parish CCD director, or the people who visit the sick, just toss them in recycling. unless an object has been blessed there is no reason to worry about its disposal, and even then, a blessing is good only so long as the object is being used as a sacramental. When you no longer have a use for it in that way, just give it away or throw it away.

Right. But would shredding them first - before sending to recycling - be considered disrespectful or acceptable?

I get tons of the kinds of mailings you describe. I save the various items until I fill a small box, then pass them on to the religious education program at my parish. The kids love these things and I’m happy they can be used by someone.

there is no need to shred as there is no privacy issue but there is no disrespect in disposing of unwanted anything you have received in the mail, it is not a sacramental if it has not been used in that way.

but I guarantee you we can use these in religious ed in all kinds of ways

I was told that you should bury them or put them in your compose bin in the garden?

[quote="Zundrah, post:6, topic:176831"]
I was told that you should bury them or put them in your compose bin in the garden?

[/quote]

That would be true for items that are blessed. You don't want to just throw them in the trash, but treat them with respect. But for items that aren't blessed -- like unsolicited materials that come in the mail -- it's not required to bury them.

But what about putting it in your compose bin? It can then be use to grow veg next year! :smiley:

Have you thought about making a collage?

I do the same - separating pics from rosaries, medals, etc. - and would LOVE to pass them on as you or “puzzleannie” mention - either for Religious Ed, children’s groups or the sick. Many Churches ask that we leave nothing, which makes it harder - I suppose they get filled with items left there. There used to be missions that asked for these items - but if I knew of places such as what you describe - or any suggestions / addresses would be great idea.

[quote="ConservativeOne, post:10, topic:176831"]
I do the same - separating pics from rosaries, medals, etc. - and would LOVE to pass them on as you or "puzzleannie" mention - either for Religious Ed, children's groups or the sick. Many Churches **ask that we leave nothing, **which makes it harder - I suppose they get filled with items left there. There used to be missions that asked for these items - but if I knew of places such as what you describe - or any suggestions / addresses would be great idea.

[/quote]

I didn't say that I simply leave them in church. I take them to the parish office and either give them directly to the director of religious education or to the secretary with a request to give them to the DRE.

A Catholic school might also be able to use these types of items. My parish doesn't have a school but there are others close by that do.

I have a slightly different problem. How do I dispose of a study bible that my stepson no longer wants, it has his name in it along with the date & the church where he received it. I am not able to have a conversation with him that does not go downhill in a hurry. He comes home, cleans out his closet & fills it with more STUFF but always throws his bible in the trash where I will find it. I’m tired of this and need to know how to dispose of it properly. I guess I could just put it away in a different room and hope someday he’d be resposive to getting it back…any suggestions?

Uh yeah KEEP IT! That’s something you don’t toss (unless its a NKJV or something, :stuck_out_tongue: just kiddding!)

I would probably donate it to a church library somewhere… if its a RSV or a Catholic bible, it can go anywhere like your Catholic Church’s library, a Protestant church’s library, or something… maybe even a local used book store (people really desire God everywhere, and we don’t know it but that book could be someone’s first time at ever opening up a Bible)… if its not a Catholic bible, obviously don’t give to your local Catholic church’s library.

If you don’t opt to do those donation things, keep it. Never know when he will come around or you might need an extra Bible for someone to give to them.

Don’t allow that to happen. Just put it away where your stepson won’t find it - and pray that someday, he might ask about it again. (Don’t push - just save it.) My question was about the many religious images and articles that might be considered “miscellaneous” mail after awhile - when unsolicited - but still are religious, and I have a hard time putting them where they would be mixed with trash. Is the “study bible” more a text book? You could pass that on to a religious educational class, if stepson’s name isn’t written inside.

It does have his name in it and it's rather tattered from being shoved around in his closet.

As for the medals and holy cards I receive in the mail and cannot use, mostly because I already have too many, I give them to our CCD director who uses them for game prizes during class parties.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.