Disproving the Catholic faith (PLEASE READ)

Hello all, this is my first post, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jamison. I am a 29 yr old male. I am from a protestant faith background. I was baptised on september 6, 1998 at the age of 18, 1 day after recieving what I call a vision. I went to ministry school shortly after this for a time but decided it was not for me.
2 months ago my girlfriends father passed away from bone cancer (please pray if you remember for him and his family). Though he was a Catholic as is his wife, his daughter and I were not, mainly because I led his daughter away from the catholic faith and into protestantism.
March 3rd Andy passed away. A few day’s later at his Catholic funeral, his daughter and I recieved “communion” out of “respect” for him and his wife. I am convinced something happened when I recieved the Eucharist. That night, a friend of mine informed me that Catholics believed in the literal interpretation of 1 Cor: 27-30 and that I was guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. This sounding quite serious and a tad offensive to me, made me set out to disprove that verse as well as the Catholic faith in general (I actually thought this would be of little trouble).
I have a scholarly mind. I decided the best way to do this investigation was to purchase the best books on both sides. I purchased many books from Catholic apologists such as Dave Armstrong and Patrick Madrid. Also many on the protestant side, such as James McCarthy, Toney Coffey and James White. Also, I purchase debate dvd’s and watched many on the internet. I also used 4 different Bible translations. This was very thourough research.
I broke the topics up one at a time. I studied Sola Scriptura defense, teaching and ruling authority,Salvation, worship, veneration of saints and Church history.
To my very amazement, I have discovered that the Roman Catholic Church really is the one true Church that Christ has founded. This has serious implications in my life. I have many people to answer to that I’ve help’d lead away from the Catholic church.I have friends and family to answer to. I fight for a living and am not sure how this will be recieved either. All this is okay though because I am on fire. I feel so close to home.
I went to a mass sunday morning but did not recieve the Eucharist of course. I assume I will need to attend RCIA and am saddend to learn on here that it will take almost a year to be confirmed into the church and recieve the Eucharist. I have contacted my local priest for three days but have yet to hear back unfortunately.
I owe many thanks to many people in the apologetics forums here, I have digested everything possible on here for the last 8 weeks. Many thanks will be sent personally. I still consider all christians my brothers and sisters. I must say my only disapointment is that some on here have been incredibly sarcastic and demeaning, I have to question one’s own insecurities when they respond in such a way. It certainly is never becoming to their spirit and totally with out any merit whatsoever. Hopefully the moderators will keep a watchfull eye on this, from all sides.
I feel so close to home and can’t wait for the priest to finally contact me so I can move on from here and be welcomed into the fulness of truth, the Roman Catholic Church.
I welcome comments and pm’s form anyone. Thanks to all on here.
Jamison

AMEN!!! Thank the Lord for all He has done! I will pray for you, Jamison. Welcome home!!!

Welcome and God Bless You. Will keep you in my thoguhts and prayers. Priests can be awfully busy it might be worth ringing again by the way. I wish you well on your journey.:slight_smile:

Hi Jamison…

Your story seems to have a lot of similarities as mine.

Well brother, on behalf of many here, I want to apologize for some of the rude and sarcastic responses you may have received while doing your research. Indeed, it’s very unfortunate when their is a lack of charity during a time when you have sincere inquiries. Perhaps some of the time people don’t realize how rude they sound. I also think some people have a hard time expressing their thoughts in an eloquent and respectful way. Either way, much of what is said here is not justified. However, I also think that it’s easy to become defensive, particularly when the “opposition” becomes hostile in their views. I digress…

Welcome home brother. It’s definitely worth the wait :slight_smile:

The Lord will continue to do great things through you. Be encouraged…

Best of Blessings in Christ,

JB

I could have written this part of your post, though I didn’t have to look real hard for anti-Catholicism since I was steeped in it in my former church.

Now, I don’t want to raise false hopes, but if you have “done your homework” (you do still have a ton to learn, never stop studying the Faith!) and can demonstrate to your priest that you have learned enough, you may not have to wait until next Easter. I was fortunate that my parish offers a “Summer Intensive RCIA” especially for baptized Christians who want to become Catholic. It started in June and August 12th I was confirmed. Another woman in my parish entered the church a month after I did - she was meeting with the priest on an individual basis as she had, like myself (and yourself) studied herself into the Catholic Church.

RCIA is really meant for those who do not have any type of Christian background, but unfortunately the baptized and the unbaptized all get lumped together in many parishes. The first few months were torturous for my husband since it was for the most part “mere Christianity” - the nature of God, what Jesus did for us, etc… all the stuff that he already knew since we’ve been Christians for 15 years. He wanted educated on the Catholic stuff that he didn’t know about! He’s reading Catholicism for Dummies now, it’s helping him a lot.

I’ll be praying for you!

Welcome home to the Church my friend!!! God Bless you!
Jacob :signofcross:

Welcome home, Jamison :blessyou:

I definitely feel the Holy Spirit working in you. :slight_smile: Keep the fire of faith alive in you as your beautiful journey into the Catholic Church begins. It truly is the greatest gift in life you could ever have received and you must thank Our Heavenly Father for it.

You can do a lot of good with your knowledge and reminders to people to be kind and respectful. Never will your words be a waste.

It seems like God has a plan for you, it may not be easy but becoming Catholic is the BEST decision you have ever made!

Blessings to you :wave:

Welcome home! :harp::heaven:

Wow! Thanks to you and everyone for their comments! I just wish the priest would call me back. I have left 3 voicemails in 3 days. I dont want to pester him any more. Tomorow I will go to the early morning mass and try to speak with him after. is this against custom?

Jamison, our stories are a lot alike. I am also of the “scholarly” mind and when actually seeking with an open mind and heart, I converted 2 years ago to the Church. I researched it so thoroughly that I find I know more about the Church than most cradle Catholics that I know. God bless you on your journey :slight_smile:

Not even close, and by all means do so. Let nothing stand in the way of your pursuit of that truth.

See my PM.

I welcome you to the journey into our (your and my) most holy faith.
[SIGN][FONT=“Garamond”]The Holy Spirit ROCKS![/SIGN][/FONT]

I too am a recent convert ( Easter 2007)! It really is an amazing discovery! THE TRUE CHURCH!

For a great deal of information and apologetics, check out
www.biblechristiansociety.com . This is an apologetics website that is directed by John Martignoni. He is fantastic!

WELCOME HOME!

Greetings Jamison,

I have been visiting these forums lately and reading a bit here and there. Thank you for sharing your story as I would like to share my own. This is my very first post here and while I would have wished to start on this forum with a more formal introduction, there is a question that goes through my mind as I read your first post here.

If you were once persuaded that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law (Rom 3:28) and now you believe that you must not only have faith but but also *merit *grace in order to attain eternal life (CCC 2010), how much works must you do to attain justification? Since you apparently now believe in purgatory, I must ask … say I were a fellow Catholic and my dear wife or other family member dies. How many masses must I pay for to be said in their name, or how many indulgences purchased before he/she receives enough grace from the treasury of merit before she makes it out? Please don’t take my question wrong and I mean no disrespect but as you reflect on an answer, how do you view it in light of Galatians 5:1-5 (namely verse 4)?

To my Catholic friends reading this I ask … If you were to die tonight and God’s standard is His holy law, namely the 10 commandments, who here can stand before Him and claim to have followed it throughout their entire life (not to mention faithfully keeping all the sacraments, laws of the church, etc.)? Would you be innocent or guilty?

If guilty … the answer to the question, “How can I stand justified before a Holy God?” becomes an eternally essential doctrine to know and understand because it determines our eternal destiny.

Written with love,
theLogos

Welcome Home Jamison!!! God bless you. We’ll keep you in our prayers, (and you too theLogos.) Personally the Logos, I would throw myself on the mercy of a loving God, on my knees! (I try to go to confession twice a month and pray a sincere Act of Contrition daily before going to sleep.)

That’s a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. Welcome! :slight_smile:

Hi, nice to have you here.

If you were once persuaded that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law (Rom 3:28) and now you believe that you must not only have faith but but also *merit *grace in order to attain eternal life (CCC 2010), how much works must you do to attain justification?

Wrong.

Did you forget to read the book of James?

drbo.org/chapter/66002.htm

**Epistle Of Saint James **
Chapter 2

*Against respect of persons. The danger of transgressing one point of the law. Faith is dead without works. *

14 What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? 15 And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food:

16 And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? **17 So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. **18 But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without works; and I will show thee, by works, my faith. 19 Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. 24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? 25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?

**26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead. **

[Emphaisis Added]

Since you apparently now believe in purgatory, I must ask … say I were a fellow Catholic and my dear wife or other family member dies. How many masses must I pay for to be said in their name, or how many indulgences purchased before he/she receives enough grace from the treasury of merit before she makes it out?

Strawman. This is not what the Catholic Church teaches. Please cite your source.

Please don’t take my question wrong and I mean no disrespect but as you reflect on an answer, how do you view it in light of Galatians 5:1-5 (namely verse 4)?

I mean no disrespect either.

To my Catholic friends reading this I ask … If you were to die tonight and God’s standard is His holy law, namely the 10 commandments, who here can stand before Him and claim to have followed it throughout their entire life (not to mention faithfully keeping all the sacraments, laws of the church, etc.)? Would you be innocent or guilty?

If guilty … the answer to the question, “How can I stand justified before a Holy God?” becomes an eternally essential doctrine to know and understand because it determines our eternal destiny.

Written with love,
theLogos

To you I ask, did you actually study the Catechism of the Catholic Church to see what we actually believe?

What doctrines does your “faith community” teach?

Good job man! keep it up!

I converted about 4 years ago when I was 25.

My best advice to you is to keep going to Church every Sunday, educating yourself, praying, and studying the Bible and all the official teachings of the Catholic Church from sources such as Catholic Answers and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Oh and Watch out for the Protestants, just like some of my friends started taking shots at my faith (especially Mary and Holy Communion) after I converted. Once they find out you are now Catholic, many will not be happy. (Please refer to the last post I made, many are well-intentioned but you will likely run into these guys alot)

drbo.org/chapter/66002.htm

**Epistle Of Saint James **
Chapter 2

*Against respect of persons. The danger of transgressing one point of the law. Faith is dead without works. *

14 What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? 15 And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food:

16 And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? **17 So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. **18 But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without works; and I will show thee, by works, my faith. 19 Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. 24 Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? 25 And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way?

**26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead. **

[Emphaisis Added]

If anything I have said is against the Catholic Church, let it be anathema.

Our Lord knows and understands our sinful nature. Therefore as long as we continually strive to lead an upright and catholic life by following all his commandments and the churches teachings, by regularly receiving the sacraments, we can almost feel assured of salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.