Distance Learning Masters in Theology...recommendations?!

Hey guys,

I am a youth minister in Houston trying to pursue a deeper understanding of our faith by means of a graduate degree. I plan on starting grad school in the fall, but due to current life circumstances (getting married and need my full time job), I will probably have to go the distance learning route. Here are my questions for you:

1. Is a distance learning degree going to hold me back from certain jobs or potentially pursuing a doctorate?
  2. I am looking at Franciscan University and the Augustine Institute (Denver). What do you know about the programs at either or both of these?
  3. Would it be worth the time/money to pursue the MA in Theology from the University of St. Thomas? (Sell me on it if you believe it.)

Thank you all so much!

"Whatever you do, think not of yourself, but of God." - St. Vincent Ferrer

Franciscan University's program is excellent, so is Holy Apostles' in Connecticut.

I am very familiar with University of St. Thomas in Houston. I wouldn't recommend it. The school is pretty liberal. Franciscan U of Steubenville is definitely the way to go! :thumbsup:

I know some of the young professors at the Augustine Institute and can vouch that they are faithful, smart, and high-energy. AI seems to have assembled a great team, and I am eager to hear from students about their experiences there - I expect that they will love it.

Christendom College - by far!!

[quote="IrishRocket16, post:1, topic:203436"]
1. Is a distance learning degree going to hold me back from certain jobs or potentially pursuing a doctorate?

[/quote]

From a university such as Franciscan, you'd earn and receive a M.A. in Sacred Theology -- period. It's the same degree whether you fulfill all your credits in person on campus or via distance learning.

does anyone have an opinion on the university of dallas for a theology Masters?

[quote="karenmirous, post:7, topic:203436"]
does anyone have an opinion on the university of dallas for a theology Masters?

[/quote]

I don't know about that institution personally, but I'd say a general rule of thumb is that secular/state universities are NOT the best choices for graduate work in Catholic theology.

The University of Dallas is not a secular/state university. It is Catholic.

I don't know about their Masters program specifically, but everyone I've met who went to the University of Dallas is very strong in their faith. I know people who went their for undergrad who loved the Rome semester.

Note: University of Dallas is a Catholic University. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.