distinction

Hi.

According to Holy Trinity, God has three distinc person, So there must be two distinctions in God.

What is this distinction?

God is three persons in one nature. This nature is referred to as one transcendent Pure Spirit.

This should answer your question.
The Holy Trinity in the Teaching of the Faith

Peace
James

In the one divine Nature, there are three Persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is not the Father: no one of the Persons is either of the others.

The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God.

There are not three Gods but one God.

SHEED

CCC says " the term “relation” to designate the fact that their distinction lies in the relationship of each to the others."(P252)

Does relationship make real distinction? How can we prove it?

Hello!

Hi Javid;

Could you elaborate a little more (if you’re still interested…I noticed the thread’s going a little cold! But I’d be happy to explore this with you.)

What do you mean by distinction? Are you talking about a distinction in nature, or power, or substance, etc?

Well if you can accept that the nature of God exists and there is at least one Person corresponding to this divine nature then I think you can get the other two Persons. If God is pure Spirit, then He is capable of knowing and loving (those actions are the two highest actions of spirit: intellect and will). If God is absolutely simple, then He is perfect and as such does not need anything. All of creation adds nothing to God.

But if God is perfect, then how does He know anything perfectly? Creation is not an appropriate target of His knowing (it would only be finite knowledge). The only reality He could know perfectly would be Himself, being perfect as He is. If His knowledge of Himself is perfect, then His knowledge of Himself imparts no limitation on the nature of His self-image. Hence God’s act of knowing Himself begets a Second Person that is as much God as the First Person is. Contrast this with our knowing ourselves, like when we step back and say something like “oh what was I thinking when I was doing X?” We can have conceptions of ourselves but due to our limited natures these conceptions are purely mental and not as real as ourselves. This is the reason why the Nicene Creed says of the Second Person “begotten not made, consubstantial with the Father.”

Now that there are two Persons for the divine nature of God, what is an appropriate object of Their love? Not creation for reasons stated earlier. Instead, the First and Second Persons love each other Perfectly and pour their entire selves into the act of loving each other. Hence the generation of the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity who, like the other Persons, possesses the nature of God in its fullness. Again, a human analogy, flawed as it is, may be useful. The love of a husband and wife pour into a third person, namely the child. Thus, the Nicene Creed speaks of the Holy Spirit as “proceeding from the Father and the Son, Who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified.”

Hi

I meant the distinction that exists between divine persons of Holy Trinity

It’s a good question. The Persons of the Trinity share the same essence, and are distinct in their Persons. What distinguishes their Persons is their Relations, so relation is the distinguishing feature. By way of analogy, a thing can be said to be ‘left’ or ‘right’ of something without a change to its essence; for example, the chair is to the left of the table and now to the right of the table. Being left or right has no bearing on the essence, just the relation. The analogy is just an example, and like all analogies it’s weak, because there is no separation of essence in the Persons of the trinity as there is between the table and chair, but hopefully it gets the idea across! Let me know if you wish to discuss further.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.