Distribution of ashes

I'm a permanent deacon, chaplain to a prison in the UK.

The only time we meet in the prison liturgically is at Sunday Mass, which (being somehow the norm for British prisons) is celebrated on a Saturday morning, and next Saturday we will be celebrating the First Sunday of Lent.

As we will not have had a liturgy in the prison on the Wednesday (for reasons I need not go into here), would it be correct to carry out the distribution of ashes at the Mass the following Saturday, using the formula in the Missal for Ash Wednesday? The rest of the readings etc. will be proper to the Sunday.

Why don’t you call your diocesan chancery to find out if they will permit you to do that.

[quote="Joannm, post:2, topic:314245"]
Why don't you call your diocesan chancery to find out if they will permit you to do that.

[/quote]

Very good point. Unfortunately I'm incardinated to a diocese other than the one I'm working in. I suppose I could call them and ask the question, but the chances are I wouldn't get to speak to anyone who could help straight away. I just wondered whether anyone else on the MB had a similar experience and whether they had found a solution.

[quote="Valeite, post:1, topic:314245"]

The only time we meet in the prison liturgically is at Sunday Mass, which (being somehow the norm for British prisons) is celebrated on a Saturday morning, and next Saturday we will be celebrating the First Sunday of Lent.

As we will not have had a liturgy in the prison on the Wednesday (for reasons I need not go into here), would it be correct to carry out the distribution of ashes at the Mass the following Saturday, using the formula in the Missal for Ash Wednesday? The rest of the readings etc. will be proper to the Sunday.

[/quote]

Good morning good Deacon! Thank you for your service to His Church!

I've done some prison ministry, not much though. I understand as most do prison ministry is a "hit & miss" ministry, you get in when you can and thats the opportunity you have.

This is what we would do here, conduct the Sunday Liturgy of the Word and distribute Communion as you normally would then offer the ashes to anyone who wishes to recieve them. Just use the simple form from the book of blessings.

The proper place to bless and distribute the ashes would be after the homily so this could be done even though it is a Sunday Liturgy. In my diocese either way would be acceptible because of the prison ministry setting.

Indeed, This is how it is done in our local prison by the Religious Brother who is involved in this ministry. In fact, they are giving the Ashes this Sunday AND the following one, in case any of the inmates missed it the first time.

[quote="Valeite, post:1, topic:314245"]

[/quote]

Being that ashes are a sacramental, I don't see why you couldn't distribute them on the next available date. They don't cease to be a sacramental after Ash Wednesday. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.