Divine Energies and Protestants

I’m curious if any Catholics here have experience using the theology of Divine Essence and Divine Energies in explaining Catholic doctrine to Protestants. I’m particularily interested in its use in explaining Grace and the veneration of Relics, and in the Mystery of the Eucharist.

Thanks in advance!

Catholics of the Latin Rite don’t speak much about “Divine Energies”, although they do make the distinction between, actual grace, sanctifying grace, created grace and uncreated grace. This theology of grace is somehow related to what our Eastern Rite brethren conceive of as the distinction between the Divine Essene of God and the Divine Energies of God.

The CCC makes only one reference to “energy” and the Holy Spirit:696 … fire symbolizes the transforming energy of the Holy Spirit’s actions.That reference is vague enough that “energy” could refer to either actual grace or sanctifying grace.

I know it’s not a Latin thing, but I didn’t ask Latins specifically, I asked Catholics :wink:

I’m interested particularily in a Catholic use of such theology in addressing Protestants, because I think it could be of profound usefulness, and I say we need to draw on all of our Catholic resources.

Right now I’m just hoping for some experiences people can share, as I’m thinking about using the Divine Essence/Energies distinction in future discussions and apologetics with Protestants, and I’m hoping some light can be shed on their responses and possible objections.

Peace and God bless!

[quote=Ghosty]I know it’s not a Latin thing, but I didn’t ask Latins specifically, I asked Catholics :wink:

I’m interested particularily in a Catholic use of such theology in addressing Protestants, because I think it could be of profound usefulness …
[/quote]

Before it can be useful, it must be comprehensible. Do you know of any Eastern Rite theologian that has written something comprehensible about the distinction between the Divine Essence and the Divine Energy? If you could give a hyperlink to such a resource, I would like to read it!

The only stuff I have ever read about the Divine Energies has been written by the Eastern Orthodox, and they seem to be less interested in explaining what they mean by the Divine Energies, than in slamming the Catholics for talking about created grace. From what little I can comprehend about the EO concept of the Divine Energies, they seem to be talking about created grace!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.