Divine Mercy Apologetics

Many days I try to to go through blogs and correct misunderstandings on Catholcism . I ususally do this in their comment section

This week and this Sunday of course many Catholics will be be doing thing related to the Divine Mercy
I suspecty I will run across thsi

THis site is already pretty high up when you google Divine Mercy
aloha.net/~mikesch/faustina.htm

How would you respond to some of these charges and misinformation

I would not respond, unless asked specifically, when I would refer them to CA homepage and new advent on salvation, indulgences etc. I would leave this website as it is, because the person who goes there will find links to other sites, and will see the image itself, and I think the image itself, and the quotes from the diary, will do more than anything to convince a thinking Christian that any devotion that recognizes and praises the Divine Mercy cannot be anything but legitimate. Let the image and the diary speak for themselves, and the disclaimers on the site will wilt away in the mind of the honest seeker.

As to that site itself I was sorting of thinking the same thing. The image as well as the links might do the opposite of what that Webmaster was intending:)

I thought the same thing, too.

Scheifler is SDA and wouldn’t know the truth if it walked up and barked in his face.

You are wasting your time even bothering with his site. He also teaches that Michael The Archangel and Jesus are one and the same person.

That’s not only not Biblical it makes his beliefs unChristian.

Let someone come to you with this stuff.

The answer is really very simple veneration does not equal worship by any mean, though Scheifler and the SDA wish it did.

Moreover, the Divine Mercy Chaplet is one of the most Christ honoring devotions on the planet, but he won’t touch on that because it would mess up his straw man argument.

And God forbid that he should ever find this prayer from the chaplet.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.

Oh I agree. I am just talking about some things I am about to run into as questions.

For instance on my football board(Geaux Tigers) I go too, I am going to do a post tonight on it in the political section(where relgion is Discussed)
tigerdroppings.com/rant/default.asp?b=50
and I also am going to have a Banner as a sig pic etc. There are a lot of Protestants there so I am sure all the regular questions will come up

I’ll refute one of the charges from the cite:

Is this what the Bible teaches, salvation and eternal life from worshipping images?

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God...
Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Is an image of Jesus Christ an graven image, or let me just say, is Jesus a graven image?

Nope. He is not. I venerate the image myself. I don’t worship it but I use it to reflect on the Mercy of Jesus. The signature itself said, “Jesus, I trust in You.”

Is this devotion taking away from Jesus? Nope. The message itself is from Jesus Christ himself. Nothing in the private revelation in is contrary to the Bible or the teachings of the Magisterium.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

It is faith in Jesus Christ as the Lamb of God that will result in eternal life, not veneration of an image, not even veneration of an image of Jesus. Because this vision of Sister Faustina clearly contradicts the Commandment of God forbidding image worship, it is not from God. There is no light in it. The Feast of Divine Mercy is nothing but idolatry and apostasy, plain and simple, and now it has essentially been canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

Not faith alone in Christ. How do we show our faith in Jesus? By our actions. Jesus said, "If you love me, obey my commandments. Believing is not what saves you. It is the God’s grace.

I read the Diary of St. Faustina, and during St. Faustina’s account the appearance of Jesus came from one source. The Eucharist. In the Catholic Church, we believe in the Real Presence of Jesus. This is affirm in John Chapter Six when Jesus said, “My flesh is true food indeed, and my blood is true drink.”

I assumed you believe in symbolism of Blessed Sacrament, that it self is not Scriptural.

I hate to burst your bubble but Jesus did spoke to St. Faustina. What is the main message of the Divine Mercy? The Mercy of God.

The Bible supports this:

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.

Be merciful just as your Father in Heaven is merciful.

Is that so wrong? Do you think that just having faith will save you? Faith alone? Nope. What if you sinned? How do you obtain forgiveness? You repent, and ask for God’s mercy. For without God’s mercy, your sins remain.

I have come across that site before and I do have to give the owner credit–his pages always have great photos and other pictures, and he almost always (if not always) links to Catholic rebuttals of his position as well as authentic Catholic sites. That’s way more than standard AntiCatholics do.

I did a poll in the Non-Catholic Thread and ask Non-Catholics if they practice any Catholic devotions like the rosary and divine mercy. Guess what? The majority of them pray the DIVINE Mercy chaplet because it is Jesus centered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.