Divine Mercy Banner

I offered my pastor to buy a framed picture of Our Lord of the Divine Mercy for the new building, but he stopped to talk to me that he thinks that the church is too plain (IMO, as almost all Catholic churches in America, which can hardly be told from Protestant churches, but I digress) and that he’s thinking about adding some pictures on the plain walls.

He’s thinking about a life-size Divine Mercy picture to be hanged on the wall behind the altar (the tabernacle is behind this wall) and asked if I can afford it instead of a 16x20 picture for the new building. He also told me that he’d like another life-size picture of Our Lady hanged on the same wall, symmetrically from Jesus. As he wasn’t sure about which one, I suggested a poll in the parish.

I was so excited about the idea of adorning our parish that I suggested that the back wall could have pictures of the Apostles, which he really liked.

But, anyway, I’d appreciate recommendations about life-size Divine Mercy images, varying from banners, tapestries or pictures.

TIA

:blessyou:

I suggest you get icons of the Divine Mercy, Our Lady and the apostles. Monastery icons is the best place to get them from and they offer many sizes.

You know, the parish I grew up in had a life-size wooden crucifix hanging behind the altar. Thank God it’s still there (even though they’ve covered the floor with a hideous brown carpet). So many churches have reduced the crucifix to a tiny object barely visible against the background.

Be careful about ordering from Monastery Icons. I know their products seem to be of high quality and relatively affordable, but your money may be going to an organization detrimental to the Catholic faith. I can;t find the links right now, but I will try to search for info on them.

See Posts 7, 8. and 9 in the linked thread for info on Monastery Icons

Joe

Following up on this task, we are closing in a 10ft tall image of the Hyla version of the Divine Mercy image. We are still considering an equally-sized image of Our Lady, maybe of Grace.

However, it seems that there aren’t many outlets which can do this. As a matter of fact, I’ve only found the site mercyimages.com to provide them. Can someone suggest another for price comparison?

How about the material? It seems that from the information in this site, fine-art canvas is better, but I’d appreciate other opinions.

A Divine Mercy picture behind the altar? :confused: I’m sorry, but in my opinion this is inappropriate. How about a crucifix behind the altar, and save the Divine Mercy image for a side wall.

At the Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge the image is behind the altar. But, perhaps an image with a small but noticable standing crucifix on top of the tabernacle in front of it would be an option. However, I think the image of Jesus, the Merciful is a good thing for an altar piece.

The tabernacle is located behind this wall… Is it located in another chapel? Do you have a crucifix on or near the altar or on the wall? It is required by the GIRM.

Shrines for the devotion of the faithful to Our Lady and the saints have their place, without detracting from the liturgy. Therefore, sacred images set up for the devotion of the faithful should not be placed permanently in the sanctuary. Restraint should be exercised in the number and arrangement of sacred images, and two images of the same saint should not be included in the same building. (Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite, number 47).

Do you have the Stations of the Cross in the nave?

We have two confessionals and I placed the Divine Mercy Picture 30 X 40 in each.

I am not saving that your suggestion is wrong, because it is appropriate to have the Divine Mercy Image within the sanctuary, however, many other things are also necessary.

Yep.

I’ll ask him to check with the diocese about the rubrics before donating the picture.

Yep.

Thanks for the tips.

I should say that it’s not exactly behind the altar, but behind it to the side. The stained glass in center of the wall behind altar will remain there, of course.

This book, “Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite,” is actually a book about the mass by an individual, rather than an official Church document. I wonder if you could let me know where this is to be found in Canon or liturgical law? Perhaps this book identifies such a source. This could be true for all I know of course, so this is just a request for information.

The previous post said:
Shrines for the devotion of the faithful to Our Lady and the saints have their place, without detracting from the liturgy. Therefore, sacred images set up for the devotion of the faithful should not be placed permanently in the sanctuary. Restraint should be exercised in the number and arrangement of sacred images, and two images of the same saint should not be included in the same building. (Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite, number 47).

Monastery icons is the retail/web outlet for icons from a group of people who are not Christian or are into some very questionable activities.

orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.aspx

At any rate, there are better places to get icons.

Monastery icons is the retail/web outlet for icons from a group of people who are not Christian or are into some very questionable activities.

orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.aspx

At any rate, there are better places to get icons.

Wow, they’re really funky. You’re right, better to stay away from them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.