Divine Mercy Chaplet Queston

I’ve said it before but today, for the first time - my prayer card set me to thinking.
The instructions say on the rosary beads “One Our Father, Hail Mary and Apostles Creed”. All this time, I’d been saying that just on the Crucifix only - and then the shorter prayers, which are said on each decade, also on the two Our Father and three Hail Mary beads at the beginning.

Can someone clear this one up? Have I been saying it wrong all the time? How many Our Father’s, Hail Mary’s and Creeds must I be saying? :confused:

This site should help you, www.praydivinemercy.com

Hope this helps, God bless

There is no way to really say it wrong. The beads are just a help in keeping track.

I don’t think it’s really possible to do it “wrong.” If you’re in a group, do whatever the leader seems to expect you to do; apart from that, do whatever makes the most sense to you.

There is a Crucifix and five beads on the tail of the Rosary. When you’re saying the Rosary, you say the Sign of the Cross and the Apostles’ Creed on the Crucifix, then an Our Father on the first bead, then three Hail Marys - one on each of the three following beads - and then the Glory Be and an Our Father on the fifth bead, which leads you into the Rosary itself.

I think it makes sense in the case of the Divine Mercy to just use the three Hail Mary beads on the tail to say the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Apostles’ Creed, and then proceed from there into the Chaplet itself. Then you can also use the same beads to come out the other end with the “Holy God” recited three times.

Thanks to all - and to Carolina for that web site.
I usually said the opening prayers - all on the Crucifix - and just two and three additional of the invocations on respective Our Father and Hail Mary beads. Many thanks.

That’s the way I’m doing it as well. Recently I prayed the chaplet for the first time with others in a church and was surprised that they said the three “Holy God” not only at the end of the chaplet but after each 10 beads or decades. It’s not how the official version is but certainly wasn’t wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.