Divine Mercy Chaplet

How can we “offer the body, blood, soul, and divinity” to the Father? it sounds like we are treading on the role of the ministerial priesthood.

He gave us this prayer so it is great to use.

I thought of this last night during the DMC. I’ve been trying to wrap my mind around it.

I look at it like this - what else do I have to offer God in atonement for my sins besides the body & blood, soul & divinity of His dearly beloved Son? My opinion of this prayer is that we are offering up Jesus’ sacrifice on Calvary in atonement for our sins. We are not trying to turn wafers into the Eucharist, which is a role for priests only.

Any offering that we do should be offered through Jesus. The Divine Mercy Chaplet is kind of reminding (not a great word, but couldn’t think of a better one) the Father of Jesus’ offering of himself on our behalf. Through the “priesthood of believers” we offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ (1 Pet. 2:5-9).

A spiritual sacrifice, united to and by Christ, offered by lay people is not the same as the actual physical re-presentation of the once and for all sacrifice of Jesus that is offered by the ministerial priesthood in the mass.

Hope that makes sense.

This actually is a very simple question to answer. When you receive Communion, Jesus is present in you physically for approximately 15 minutes, but spiritually He remains with you till death. Once you’ve made your first Holy Communion, He leaves something of Himself in you that is in your heart. He is also residing in you from your Baptism, and your Penance and your Confirmation, if you have it. He dwells in you. He never leaves. He is in your Heart. This is the place the mystics go to seek Him to find union with Him during prayer. He is waiting there in your heart for you to seek Him. That is how some of the Saints find Heaven on earth through prayer experiences that go deep. Try it.

When you pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, you are drawing from this reserve of the Eucharist in your soul and offering it to God through that particular prayer: Eternal Father I offer You the Body, Blood Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son our Lord, Jesus Christ,… It is from that place within that you are making the offering from. Kinda like and Act of Spiritual Communion in reverse. Get it? You can actually receive Communion on some one else’s behalf and ask at that time that they receive the graces you beg for them when you talk to Him at Communion time. It is very powerful to do so.

I hope this helps.

Glenda

I’m a little outside my comfort zone on the faith, so if I get this wrong, please feel free to correct me!

I believe this has to do with the difference between the common priesthood and the sacramental priesthood.

The laity are priests as well, but a different kind. This type of priesthood enables us to offer spiritual sacrifices to God, but not the sacrifice of the mass.

I don’t have time to properly research, so CAF users feel free to correct / embellish! :smiley:

Read the Diary of St. Faustina - Divine Mercy In My Soul for all the correct answers to the Devotion to the Divine Mercy. It is available in some local libraries and if not you can get it from the Marians in Stockbridge, MA

marian.org/amh/welcome.php

It is a marvelous book and will change your outlook and spiritual development as a Catholic.

Glenda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.