Divine Mercy Indulgence question

If I receive at a Saturday vigil mass for Sunday, is the communion requirement met? Or should I just go to mass on Sunday morning?

Thanks!:slight_smile:

I believe that your obligation is fulfilled just as your Sunday obligation is fulfilled.

But to get the benefits, not only do you attend mass, but you receive Reconciliation and receive Holy Communion to gain all the indulgences promised by the Divine Mercy gift.

St. Bruno–thanks–I was def aware of it all. I was planning on going to reconciliation Sat afternoon & then to our 4PM mass. Just wanted to be sure re: the recption of Communion.

should we go to confession if we haven’t commited a mortal sin and was just recieved into the church last saturday? would we still get the benefits? i cussed a few times this week, but nothing more than that.

Confession is required within 20 days, regardless of committing a mortal sin or not. I think confession, then communion and the work is required for any indulgence such as this.

But for the Divine Mercy Graces, I am pretty sure at 3pm, the Divine Mercy prayer is required either in a Church setting, or if that’s not possible, at least at home by yourself.

Most parishes in my area are having these 3 pm prayer hours on Sunday. But my parish is having a Divine Mercy March after Mass before noon. I am not sure that will suffice.

really? nobody told me that.

Go to this site:
ourladyswarriors.org/

Click on indulgences on the left
and at the top, click on “norms for indulgences”

thanks for the help.

YEP!:slight_smile:

I looked at the site, but didn’t see anything about a 20-day time frame. All I saw was this:

"To acquire a plenary indulgence it is necessary to perform the work to which the indulgence is attached and to fulfill the following three conditions:
sacramental confession,
Eucharistic Communion, and
prayer for the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff.
It is further required that all attachment to sin, even venial sin, be absent.

If the latter disposition is in any way less than perfect or if the prescribed three conditions are not fulfilled, the indulgence will be partial only, saving the provisions given below in Norm 34 and in Norm 35 concerning those who are “impeded.”

The three conditions may be fulfilled several days before or after the performance of the prescribed work; it is, however, fitting that Communion be received and the prayer for the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff be said on the same day the work is performed.
A single sacramental confession suffices for gaining several plenary indulgences; but Communion must be received and prayer for the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff must be recited for the gaining of each plenary indulgence."

It says “several” days, and 20 is much more than several. The rule is that you have to go to Confession 8 days before or after you do the act that will gain the indulgence (praying a particular prayer, etc.), and all the requirements have to be fulfilled with the intention of getting the indulgence.

ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/summary.htm

I. The usual conditions for every plenary indulgence:

sacramental confession [according to previously issued norms, within abut 20 days before or after]
Eucharistic communion [according to previously issued norms, preferably on the day, or the days before or after]
prayer for the intentions of Supreme Pontiff [certain prayers are not specified]
II. The specific conditions for this Indulgence

On Divine Mercy Sunday

in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honour of Divine Mercy
or, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the Our Father and the Creed, adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!").

Thank you for finding the quote, Harsalter! I did some quick looking my self, because I remember reading the 20 days before/after norm myself, but I just couldn’t remember where I saw it.

I had to look it up myself as I had heard it last night from a priest on EWTN. But I thought I could have been mistaken, but evidently not.

Oh, I looked into this again and saw that in 2000 the norm was “relaxed” from 8 days to 20 days either before or after the event…mea culpa. :o

I guess not everyone in the Church got the memo - including some who teach Catechism classes and discuss this matter - sigh.

Thanks for the info. :tiphat:

I just figure that if you go to confession every 2 weeks, you can easily gain a plennary indulgence for a soul in purgatory every Sunday when you go to mass. (Obviously doing the other works, too). But it really isn’t that hard to read scripture for a half hour on Sunday, say a HM and OF for the Holy Father, either.

so, as a new Catholic let me get this straight.
even if you don’t commit mortal sins it is still a good practice to go to confession to confess venial sins? i’m kinda reading in between the lines here but i came to this conclusion reading these posts. thanks again for the help.

Yes, absolutely. Confession gives you graces to help prevent sin, and lets face it, we all have those pesky habitual veniel sins that crop up continually. (Mine is overeating). I really believe that frequent confession is good for the soul. It also makes you do frequent examinations of consciene, and it helps you remember your sins better.

is overeating a sin? sometimes i fill my plate to much and get full before i eat it all, but i was raised to clean off the plate because that food could have gone to hungry kids in some distant land, so i finish off the plate.

well, i’m going to schedule an appointment with a priest and recieve this sacrament as well!

It is if we do it on purpose. It’s one of those 7 pesky deadly sins. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong, so please someone correct me if I am- and I’m sure someone will;) ), is that the sins of sloth, lust, gluttony, etc. can be mortal sins if they are carried to the extreme. For example, if I overeat to the point that I am unable to carry out my duties as a wife, mother, teacher, etc., and I let food come in the way of fulfilling my Christian obligation to other people, then I have sinned mortally. However, if I purposely eat to the point that I feel overly full, but not sick, unable to do my job, etc., then it is only a veniel sin.

To receive this indulgence, it reads that we must be totally free from even venial sin. At what point? I went to confession yesterday, but I know I committed at least one or two venial sins between yesterday’s confession and today’s Mass. I know that Mass removes venial sins, and after Mass today our parish had our Divine Mercy Celebration. I prayed for the intentions of the Pope, had communion today, so I hope I’m covered.

Those pesky venial sins confuse me though on the indulgences. Any thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.