divine mercy question

in the divine mercy devotion jesus told st faustina that everyone should perform at least one act of mercy a day…by prayer, word, deed…

if you want to do you act of mercy by prayer do you actually have to pray for mercy for jesus to count this as your act of mercy (eg jesus have mercy on x) or is a prayer of mercy any prayer that is prayed for other people…

ANGELIC PEACE

I think that any prayer for another person (living or deceased) is an act of mercy. However, I’m not sure what you mean by “count as your act of mercy.” Acting mercifully toward others — by actions, kind words, and prayers — should be a way of life, and should happen dozens of times of day. Here is an excerpt from Faustina’s diary (#163, prayer for the virtue of mercy) that shows the spirit of this requirement:

O Most Holy Trinity! As many times as I breathe, as many times as my heart beats, as many times as my blood pulsates through my body, so many thousand times do I want to glorify Your mercy.

I want to be completely transformed into Your mercy and to be Your living reflection, O Lord. May the greatest of all Your attributes, that of Your unfathomable mercy, come to pass through my heart and soul to my neighbor.

Help me, O Lord, that my eyes may be merciful, so that I may never suspect or judge from appearances, but look for what is beautiful in my neighbor’s souls and come to their rescue.

Help me, that my ears might be merciful, so that I might give heed to my neighbor’s needs and not be indifferent to their pains and moanings.

Help me, O Lord, that my tongue may be merciful, so that I may never speak negatively of my neighbor, but have a word of comfort and forgiveness for all.

Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbors and take upon myself the more difficult and toilsome tasks.

Help me, O Lord, that my feet may be merciful, so that I may hurry to assist my neighbor, overcoming my own fatigue and weariness. My true rest is in the service of my neighbor.

Help me, O Lord, that my heart may be merciful, so that I myself will feel all the sufferings of my neighbor. I will refuse my heart to no one. I will be sincere even with those who I know will abuse my kindness. And I will lock myself up in the most merciful heart of Jesus. I will bear my own sufferings in silence. May Your mercy, Lord, rest upon me.

You Yourself command me to exercise the three degrees of mercy. The first: the act of mercy, of whatever kind. The second: the word of mercy — if I cannot carry out a work of mercy, I will assist by my words. The thrid prayer — if I cannot show mercy by deeds or words, I can always do so by prayer. My prayer reaches out even there where I cannot reach out physically.

O my Jesus, transform me into Yourself, for ou can do all things.

In my opinion any prayer you pray for another person is an act of Mercy.

I took this to mean to perform a spiritual or corporal act of mercy:

Corporal Acts of Mercy [LIST]
*][LEFT]Feed the hungry[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Give drink to the thirsty[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Shelter the homeless[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Clothe the naked[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Visit the sick[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]Visit those in prison[/LEFT]
*][LEFT]**Bury the dead. ** [/LEFT]
[/LIST]http://users.rcn.com/lanat/img01.gif
http://users.rcn.com/lanat/img02.gif
[LEFT]**Spiritual Acts of Mercy **[LIST]
*]Converting the sinner
*]Instructing the ignorant
*]Counseling the doubtful
*]Comforting the sorrowful
*]Bearing wrongs patiently
*]Forgiving injuries done to us
*]**Praying for the living and the dead **[/LIST][/LEFT]

i pray for conversion of sinners and the forgiveness of sins world wide. i also pray fro God’s mercy on the whole world.i also pray for the poor souls in purgatory, and visit the grave of someone i know and pray there as well for him, and those that are buried there. sometimes i also say the chaplet of Divine Mercy there as well.

It seems complicated, but if you study the last teaching of Faustina above…prayer works when all else seems impossible.

You Yourself command me to exercise the three degrees of mercy. The first: the act of mercy, of whatever kind. The second: the word of mercy — if I cannot carry out a work of mercy, I will assist by my words. The thrid prayer — if I cannot show mercy by deeds or words, I can always do so by prayer. My prayer reaches out even there where I cannot reach out physically.

O my Jesus, transform me into Yourself, for you can do all things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.