Divine Mercy (St. Faustina / Consoling the Heart of Jesus Book

I am currently in the middle of Fr. MIchael Gaitley M.I.C.'s book Consoling the Heart of Jesus and watching the retreat videos with a bible study hosted by my home parish.

Ok, on to the very important question:

This question stems from two points made in the book, and I believe that I am drawing a logical conclusion, but I don’t want to believe anything that contradicts Church teaching…

First point: Retroactive consolation and the following concepts

pg. 394 - Footnote - Jesus knew of all sins past, present, and future - “He knew them in detail with a superior intuition that governed all times …”

pg. 394 - Footnote - “…but in that painful hour He was also consoled by the sight of those souls who would take part with Him, for Him, and in Him in the work of redemption, He was consoled by the sight of such as Saint Francis of Assisi…”

pg. 394 - Footnote- “The fruit of this reparation is not lost for Jesus. Our making amends consoled and rejoiced His Heart during His mortal life. That we were able to do so, before we existed, is owning to His prescience.”
(i.e., God the Father and Jesus are not bound by any time constraints as we know it on Earth. They know everything that was ever done and will be done in the future.

Second point: Redemptive Suffering (pg. 74)
After quoting St. Paul in Col 1:24 “I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete was is lacking in the sufferings of Christ for the sake of his body, the Church…”
He goes on to say:
“He needs our suffering to be united with His in order to save souls.”

“…because of this influence we can have on one another, Jesus and Mary constantly plead with us to pray and to offer up our sufferings, especially for unrepentant sinners.”

"Many souls go to hell because no one prays and offers up suffering for them.

So here is my question: Will our prayers and sufferings only benefit those in purgatory and those still on earth that haven’t died yet. - OR Is there a chance that our prayers and sufferings can redeem those souls who’ve passed on already and would otherwise go to hell. If the Lord knows of all of our future sins and all of our future redeeming acts of prayer and suffering, wouldn’t it be a logical conclusion that our redeeming prayers and sufferings today help redeem those souls no matter when they died. Right? If so, What kind of Hope can be derived from that?

St. Faustina’s diary doesn’t come out and say this, but if the excerpts are read in this light, it seems to fit:

Example 1182 - “…because I want to save them all. On the cross, the fountain of Mercy was opened wide by the lance for all souls - no one have I excluded!”

Please let me know what you think

Oh and by the way, this book is amazing…changing my life…

God Bless!

Once they are in Hell it is too late. We can pray for them when they are still alive which can help them convert or ask Jesus to have mercy on them before they die.

I understand that and would hope that my prayers for my Nan helped her before she died even though I prayed for her afterwards but this isn’t doctrine and we cannot assume anything.

This means Jesus isn’t going to stop anyone coming to Him and seeking His mercy.

St. Padre Pio noted that God was outside time and therefore one could pray in the present for the “good death” of someone who had died many generations before you were even born and God would apply the prayer at the appropriate time. We can have hope that such a person was saved and that our prayer helped them, but it is only hope, not a certainty.

It certainly does make me feel better however, knowing that I can pray now for people who for whatever reason I did not pray for at the time of their death (because I was not born or a tiny child, or was not practicing my faith when they died, or I was grieving and not thinking of them as needing prayers when they died, etc.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.