Divine Mercy Sunday Feast

I was reading the bulletin today and discovered an announcement for the Divine Mercy Sunday Feast Celebration scheduled for next Sunday (April 3rd). The announcement says that Pope John Paul II has granted a Plenary Indulgence for all who attend the event (and of course have gone to Confession and Holy Communion). Prior to this, I had never heard of this celebration. Has anyone else out there heard of it? I certainly look forward to attending.:slight_smile:
God bless.

Yes, I’ve been doing the Divine Mercy Novena (it starts on Good Friday and runs until Divine Mercey Sunday) with my family for nearly ten years.

Tietjen wrote: Prior to this, I had never heard of this celebration. Has anyone else out there heard of it?

May I suggest this web site: divinemercysunday.com/

I have found it very helpful!

God Bless!

The Vatican website has this posted:

APOSTOLIC PENITENTIARY
DECREE
Indulgences attached to devotions in honour of Divine Mercy *Three conditions for the plenary indulgence *

… And so the Supreme Pontiff, motivated by an ardent desire to foster in Christians this devotion to Divine Mercy as much as possible in the hope of offering great spiritual fruit to the faithful, in the Audience granted on 13 June 2002, to those Responsible for the Apostolic Penitentiary, granted the following Indulgences:

a plenary indulgence, granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intentions of Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on the Second Sunday of Easter or Divine Mercy Sunday, in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honour of Divine Mercy, or who, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the Our Father and the Creed, adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!");

A partial indulgence, granted to the faithful who, at least with a contrite heart, pray to the merciful Lord Jesus a legitimately approved invocation.

The Divine Mercy Sunday was officially instituted by the Pope in 2000. It is supposed to be called by that title. Many clergy,certainly here in the UK, have simply ignored the Pope and make no mention of it. I have even heard it referred to still as Low sunday.

Visit www.thedivinemercy.org for plenty of great information on the Divine Mercy devotion, Divine Mercy Sunday, St. Faustina and the Church’s endorsement of the Divine Mercy.

+veritas+

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.