Divine Mercy Sunday question

Divine Mercy Sunday, “whoever approaches the Fount of Life on this day will be granted complete remission of sins and punishment.”

What does this mean we need to do approach the image? say a certain prayer? sorry for being so unknowledgeable on this , makes me feel stupid

There is a 9 day Novena to be prayed up until Divine Mercy Sunday. (Each day has a separate intention) A clean confession must be made, and the Reception of The Holy Eucharist on that Sunday.

There are some variations.
I think it grants a plenary indulgence.:shrug::o

I will try to find more info for you.

Don’t feel stupid! That quote, on its own, would leave most people (including me) confused.

That quote is from paragraph 300 of Sister Faustina’s diary. Paragraph 699 is more clear:

On one occasion, I heard these words: My daughter, tell the whole world about My Inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which grace flow are opened.

(emphasis added)

Read more: ewtn.com.au/devotionals/mercy/feast.htm

So, what does “the fount of life” mean? It could be confession, but the discussions of this promise make it clear that it is acceptable, even preferable, to go to confession before the Sunday, so it probably means receiving the eucharist.

However, please note that this promise is from private revelation to Sister Faustina so is not equivalent to Church teaching.

This seems to be a very good, informative site. EWTN of course :slight_smile:
ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/novena.htm

It explains the petitions that are to be prayed each day of the Novena, and the conditions that need to be met for indulgences both plenary, or partial.

Hope this helps.
I love the Divine Mercy prayer, and find it very helpful.

God bless.

Thankyou for reminding us of the Novena!

It doesn’t have a plenary indulgence. However, it would be the best possible preparation for receiving the promises of Divine Mercy Sunday!

Pope John Paul II granted a plenary indulgence to all who have receive the Eucharist on Divine Mercy Sunday. The Vatican states:

Second Sunday of Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday
And so with provident pastoral sensitivity and in order to impress deeply on the souls of the faithful these precepts and teachings of the Christian faith, the Supreme Pontiff, John Paul II, moved by the consideration of the Father of Mercy, has willed that the Second Sunday of Easter be dedicated to recalling with special devotion these gifts of grace and gave this Sunday the name, “Divine Mercy Sunday” (Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Decree *Misericors et miserator, *5 May 2000).

Three conditions for the plenary indulgence
And so the Supreme Pontiff, motivated by an ardent desire to foster in Christians this devotion to Divine Mercy as much as possible in the hope of offering great spiritual fruit to the faithful, in the Audience granted on 13 June 2002, to those Responsible for the Apostolic Penitentiary, granted the following Indulgences:

a *plenary indulgence, *granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intentions of Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on the Second Sunday of Easter or Divine Mercy Sunday, in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honor of Divine Mercy, or who, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the *Our Father *and the *Creed, *adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!");

I like your source. :slight_smile: :thumbsup: EWTN has been a blessing for many.

God bless.

St. Faustina Jesus Divine Mercy

699 My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the Fount of My Mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which graces flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy.

This is a problem in my eyes. Jesus gave this day to us for all to have his Mercy but this part which I have highlighted bold is in my eyes almost impossible unless I am looking at it wrong.

How do you get from confession to Communion without even thinking one venial sin? I would have to be in a coma. No matter how hard I would try I just know a woman would come to Mass with everything hanging out stood next to me. :frowning:

Hopefully someone can clarify what I have said so I don’t feel so bad.

This simply means that YOU personally do not have a desire to repeat a deliberate sin and knowingly or willingly offend Our Lord.

The example you give is an inadvertent encounter and your heart is unwilling to engage the mind in lustful thinking. But if you look forward to it, rather than repulse it, then it could be a form of “attachment” to sins of thought. See the difference?

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering the same thing. It seemed impossible.
God bless you.

I just feel with confession on the Saturday and Mass on the Sunday it will be impossible to remain perfect for nearly 24 hours.

:frowning:

Of course, you may commit imperfections, but that does NOT mean you are **attached **to committing them again and again, and not desirous giving up a particular habitual sin. You have a wrong idea about detachment from sin.

For instance, let’s say you formed a bad habit of cussing using profanity. If you are upset each time you fall into it, and pray sincerely that God will help you overcome this habit once and for all, there is NO attachment to it, even if you would happen to have a slip of the tongue in a moment of forgetfulness.

Naturally, only God knows the intensity of our desire to overcome, or even whether we are still attached to recommitting a sin. When we perform the act that is granted a plenary indulgence, we just do our best and leave it up to God’s mercy. If there remains any attachment, the indulgence will be partial. So either way, we benefit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.