Divine Mercy Sunday

I have been doing the Novena since Good Friday. Unfortunately I am going to work in Scotland (I live in Ireland) for an extended period, to a remote island. I am not able to make the Divine Mercy devotions in my local area. I wondered if there is any way to obtain the promise of the Divine Mercy where there are no public devotions? Can I venerate the image on my own in a church? Must the image be blessed using a particular formula? Is there any way round this?

If not, then maybe next year, but probably not, as I will still be in Scotland: my holiday allowance is not so generous as to enable me to stay on at home to include both Easter and Divine Mercy Sundays.

As I understand it (I could be wrong), but you can pray the novena privately-the following regarding the plenary indulgence is a quote from the EWTN website “a plenary indulgence, granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer for the intentions of Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on the Second Sunday of Easter or Divine Mercy Sunday, in any church or chapel, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, take part in the prayers and devotions held in honour of Divine Mercy, or who, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament exposed or reserved in the tabernacle, recite the Our Father and the Creed, adding a devout prayer to the merciful Lord Jesus (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!”)"

The full text can be read at ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/decree.htm

I hope this helps!

Pax
Mary

How close to Sunday do the conditions of confession and Holy Communion have to be met? Can the prayers in front of the Tabernacle (in the private devotion) take place on the vigil – Saturday evening?

Thanks!

Mary

This may not be the “technical” answer that you were looking for but just TRUST in Our Lord’s mercy.

Remember that while WE are bound by the sacraments and rules for indulgences, etc.; Our Lord is NOT. Just have the best of intentions and TRUST in His mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.